New(to me) trackbike, need some help.

soad

Let me preface with some info about me. 5'10 210lbs, new to intermediate class with STT. 

So i recently bought a 2006 ZX6r, and its pretty much stock. I am coming off an 03 F4i with terribly stock and neglected suspension, and the first thing i'd like to do is get this suspension tuned up. i'm ballin on a budget so fancy pants ohlins stuff is a no go, but i heard 08 rear shock will bolt right up, and is a definite improvement. for $50 for a stock one off ebay, i figured even if its nominally better, i should go with it.

i can't find much information about the forks, however. so if someone could shed some light into improving them, whether or not its worth it to find 08 forks too? racetech offers cartridge things, but i'm not well versed in the goings on on the inside of these forks. so i'm pretty apprehensive about what i need.

i'd also like to get these components sent out for a refresh and rebuild by someone who knows that they're doing. I'm a mechanic by trade, but i fix cars. not revalve forks. who do i need to contact to get this stuff serviced? i'm 210 on a good day with no gear so i'm pretty sure i need springs too. 

i also heard the brakes on this thing are pretty terrible? i like stopping, so....recommended plans of attack here? should i be okay with some SS lines and i would like suggestions on pads. there seems to be a wide variety of pads and i'd rather not invest my hard earned in unnecessary overkill. i had EBC HH pads on my f4i and they seemed well enough? as a rider, i tend to hit the brakes earlier than i should, and this season this is something i want/need to work on, so having full confidence in my stopping abilities would be pretty neat to have...i heard vesrah RJL would be a good choice?

also the bike came with tire warmers, but i don't feel like im at that level quite yet. i had pilot power pures on my f4i and i loved them. but seeing as how now i have a dedicated track machine, i'd like to get a mo' better tire. suggestions? power supersport or power one? 

any other pretty important things i should look at? any weaknesses to this zx6r mechanically? i'm going to get some stompgrips too.

Any help is much appreciated, guys! Thanks in advance!

No offense, but if you're just getting into STT's intermediate group, you don't need to be upgrading anything on a 2006 bike.

Just ride the thing.

I'm no suspension guru, and I sort of agree - but the bike should at least be setup\sprung for him. While the forks are down would be most opportune time to drop in emulators and fresh oil.

My 2 cents...

i'm 210 on a good day with no gear so i'm pretty sure i need springs too. 

Stock suspension/springs?  Start with springs, add a fork oil refresh while you are at it, make sure everything is in good mechanical shape (including your protective gear) and ride.  You can do more if you want, just keep in mind the biggest variable on the bike is the rider and the only way to improve the rider is through experience and knowledge. 

My 2 cents...

Stock suspension/springs?  Start with springs, add a fork oil refresh while you are at it, make sure everything is in good mechanical shape (including your protective gear) and ride.  You can do more if you want, just keep in mind the biggest variable on the bike is the rider and the only way to improve the rider is through experience and knowledge. 

Sorry, I meant 210 without my riding gear on. I have all that stuff. good stuff, too! Safety first!

I plan to do as much trackdays as possible this year, too. There's a lot i have to learn. i just want something that can remain constant and reliable underneath me. i went three years with slush suspension on the f4i and having an acceptable suspension is important. 

I'm no suspension guru, and I sort of agree - but the bike should at least be setup\sprung for him. While the forks are down would be most opportune time to drop in emulators and fresh oil.

That's fair.  If he's looking for something to spend money on, springs would probably be where I'd start. 

Personally, I would take the bike and have it completely rebuilt.  I mean throw in Ohlins or Penske in the back, full front forks, not just springs.  Add a PC but only the one with traction control, wheelie control, and mapping on the fly.  Then make sure you get a SS build done, full exhaust, titanium bolt kit for every bolt possible.  Make sure you get a custom paint job and only the best, no rattle can, don't be cheap on paint, it makes you go fast. 

Then make sure you get a brand new suit, helmet, gloves, boots, back protector, chest protector, maybe not just a suit but special order the Airbag suit from A Star from Europe, at least get the vest, and Lett brace, I mean both obviously.

If you don't have a toy hauler, get one, gotta roll up like a balla to every track day, that's obvious.

In reality, get the suspension sag set for your weight if this is a dedicated track bike, they do that about any track day at Mid O, or down south.  Then ride it, add things as you go, no offense, no chance you'll be out riding anything that is on that bike stock to start Intermediate.  So with that, start slow and small, it's not cheap unless you're balla.

And in the end, just have fun, the group on here is awesome and will help you anytime you need it. 

Great advice guys. I'll message hoblick and see about getting my forks freshened up with proper springs. And for $50 I'll just buy an 08 shock and do the same with that as well.

What about tires?

moto mummy had a decent dale going on for q3 unless you want to run the warmers with 211's but I doubt you need those. Q3's are a nice tire and plenty for intermediate.

I'd rather not run the warmers if I can, to be honest. I was thinking of putting them up for sale.