Netflix

conn-e-rot

Roku guy here, been happy with them, cost is good.  I did have a Roku 3 refurbished model from Woot or Newegg burnout after 12 months tho and it was used very little.  My Roku 2XD is 2.5 years old and works fine.  My Roku Stick which is what I would go with anytime now, works awesome and I love being able to stream Youtube from my phone to it.

With that said, I am going to possibly get a Chromecast, but you have to run your PC to run the Chromecast, where as Roku is just that, you just use it solo style to run netflix.  No double streaming from Wifi to laptop back to wifi, over to the Chromecast.

Only way I wouldnt get a Chromecast now is if I get a Smart tv which i may just do. 

I'd go with something like this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261779985081&alt=web

I have 2 of them and they basically turn your tv into a huge tablet minus the touch screen. Can run netflix, torrent downloads, hulu, youtube, anything that's on the web. Uses Google play market.

I'm another Roku dude.  I have several around the house here, in our toy hauler and I even have one that I take when I travel for work.  The Roku stick is very convenient due to it's size but I still prefer an actual box so that I can plug in a usb drive and watch content that I've purchased and ripped or whatever isn't on Netflix or Hulu Plus.

My $.02. :D

PS - My wife bought a Neo and it's a POS...fyi.

Edited by r1crusher

I have two Chromecast dongles.  They work well.  I use my android phone or tablet as the remote.   It works well for Netflix and Hulu.  If you are a Amazon prime customer you will probably want something else.  I can stream amazon prime but I have to use my PC to do it.  For Hulu and Netflix you don't need the PC.   For the $25 each that I have invested I am happy. 

If your going for a stick device the Amazon Fire Stick is the best hands down. I liked the way the Roku menus were and how it was laid out but the hardware could not keep up. If you go with a Roku set top box im sure it would be better but yiu going to pay a lot more.

The Chrome cast needs hardware updating as well and there are less apps supported. Didn't really like the menues.And does not stream amazon prime video.

I love my Amazon Fire TV stick I have absolutely nothing bad to say about. I have owned and tried all 3 and took the other 2 back to the store.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I have two Chromecast dongles.  They work well.  I use my android phone or tablet as the remote.   It works well for Netflix and Hulu.  If you are a Amazon prime customer you will probably want something else.  I can stream amazon prime but I have to use my PC to do it.  For Hulu and Netflix you don't need the PC.   For the $25 each that I have invested I am happy. 

No kidding?  That means I will definitely grab one of those for the basement and could skip the smart TV and save some cash and go bigger(always better right?) and just use the Roku stick for the living room TV. 

Thanks!

Yes sir.  That is correct.  You can broadcast from a PC using Chrome if you want to but it's not a requirement.  You do need a phone or tablet to use a remote if you aren't using the PC.   If you want a dedicated remote then you need a Roku or Amazon device.

No kidding?  That means I will definitely grab one of those for the basement and could skip the smart TV and save some cash and go bigger(always better right?) and just use the Roku stick for the living room TV. 

Thanks!

Chromecast and my android phone is all I use. YouTube, Netflix, crackle, Hulu. Actually, if you use the chrome browser on your android, you can display any embedded video to Chromecast. There are a ton of apps note that you can steam to Chromecast. HBO, starz, ESPN,

Oh yeah it's a one time fee of $35.

I have a PC hooked up to my TV for daily use, but I've taken my chromecast with me to friends & family's house and had no problems with it.  Worked great every time.  

But it won't work at work.... we have some kind of wifi here that won't let it connect.  I have no experience with the others, I can just say that my Chromecast has worked great with my iphone or ipad or laptop every time I've used it.  Several times I've just grabbed it to go babysitting at my sister's who doesn't have HBO, and was able to stream game of thrones live from my phone :)  It's only $35, too, so +1 for that.

Lots of things can connect a TV to the Internet.

I have a roku box, a wifi bluray player, and a smart TV. They all work.

Bigger decision is how many services you're going to pay for. I have amazon prime, Netflix, Hulu plus, and some other crap I can't remember... It's still way cheaper than dish

Of all the people that completely ditched cable, how many are using over the air antennas? Or are you just using Hulu for most of the basic TV stuff? I have delayed ditching cable for far too long. Now that football season is over they can have their outrageously priced crap.

For a stand alone unit an android tv stick is an easy solution. Chrome cast requires you to mirror your phone or pc onto the tv via the Chrome cast. With android tv stick you just plug into hdmi, connect usb power, insert a usb receiver for wireless keyboard and mouse and go.

So why do you need to hook to your phone? What am I missing here? All I'm interested in using it for is Netflix

Unlike the other TV top options or smart TV, you don't control Netflix from the Chromecast. The PC or phone ends up being the interface/controller. But once a show our movie is selected, Chromecast is "streamed" directly from your WiFi, not through the PC or phone. But pausing or selecting the next episode/movie is done back through the interface. It's unlike a smart TV from that aspect.

Really it's very simple and only $35. It's worth a try.

Roku has a "Sling TV" channel for $20/mo which gives you ESPN, ESPN2, TNT and a few more. Read - Football!

They will even give you a free Roku stick with three month pre-pay.

https://www.sling.com/devices/roku

Rabbit ears for the local TV news and Roku for the rest. So many channels. And you can stream from your PC if you want to.

The Android TV device looks interesting too.

I'd go with something like this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261779985081&alt=web

I have 2 of them and they basically turn your tv into a huge tablet minus the touch screen. Can run netflix, torrent downloads, hulu, youtube, anything that's on the web. Uses Google play market.

Just a matter of time till these kinda things get better. Apps availability seems to be the only potential issue with these.

I was impressed that Chromecast tried to lock you into the Google store, no real surprise there. Apple's device tries to lock you into the Itunes store.

Both seem equally represented by the hook to your phone option. Also consider those very generous download caps that your plan has.

Of course it really depends on how your going to use the device which one is better.

You do realize that as soon as you buy one you will see a better one cheaper...  :)

Edited by Strictly Street

I use rabbit ears, indoor cheap ones.  1 set is from like BestBuy and looks all nice and purdry, like Craigs mouth.  the other is the cheap 8.50 version from HD and it works fine, just not as purdy.

I live about 10 miles from the stations broadcast points and its way clearer than cable ever was, way better.

I did not know Roku had a sling channel with espn etc.  Thing is at 20.00 Im close to what Cable was when adding in internet, I will just keep borrowing myf riends account, actually I need to set my dad up with an ESPN account, he has dish, and has no idea how to do all that.