Sportsters...for kinda big guys??

progrmr

I definitely think the sport-touring is a good way to go...i'm  going to own something right now even though I'll probably get mocked for it :)

I owned a '96 Suzuki Katana 750...I know, I know...it's stupid heavy and doesn't crank out the power like a real sportbike. But man, that thing was comfortable and it had some power. AND they've been around so  long their solid as hell, lots of parts if you need them, and they don't break the bank.

Seriously - if I found a good condition, low miles Katana 750..I'd probably snag it up. My '96 got stolen 1 month after I bought it...one of the worst days of my life!

I won't lie.  I wanted either an Iron 883 or a Forty Eight.  I also looked at quite a few used Vrods.  I decided to go another route based on price and weight. 

I'm 5'11" and 215lbs.  Not sure if I would look like a circus bear on a tricycle or not.  My wife says that I am too big for the FZ07.   Oh well.  :(

Edited by Wojo72

I have a little different take on this, 

I have always rode some type of sport bike and a couple of years ago I decided that I wanted to try a cruiser and bought my first Harley, 2007 Nightster (1200) it's a Sportster that sits lower to the ground and blacked out.   

My opinion is this,

I found riding the Harley around was a much different experience then the sport bikes, I’m going to go with the cliché of it’s not just a motorcycle it’s a lifestyle. I can say that almost everywhere I rode I found myself having conversations with other Harley riders about bikes, places to ride and whatever else we wanted to have a conversation about.

That being said, I will say that the Nightster cannot be the only bike I own due to the rough ride and fuel range on a full tank (due to the 3.3gal tank). I think the bike is great for sticking within a 2- 3 hour radius from home base, anything more than that and it really starts to wear me out. I’m 5,11” and 170lbs (ish) and the bike fits me pretty well.

The 1200 has plenty of power as long as you look at a 2007 or newer, all these bikes would be fuel injected which makes a huge difference in dealing with the power band (of course this is an obvious statement), but have heard non-fuel injected Sportsters are just dogs. My buddy rides a YZF600r and the Harley can surely hold its own when going out for a jaunt.

There are plenty of guys riding Sportsters these days (Hilarious pic Progrmr), I think that they kind of had a bad rap of being chick bikes but I think it really has turned around with this being noticeable when going to any Harley dealership bike event. Also Harley dealerships have something going on almost every weekend even in the winter, which is nice to go hang out and do a sort of mingling amongst fellow riders.

Would I buy another Harley? Absolutely

Would it be a sportster? I would personally look at a bigger bike, but it was in my budget and don’t have any regrets.      

I would evaluate your riding style and what you want to get out of a ride, and will say if you want to buy a Sportster go ahead and do it, I don’t think you’ll be sorry.  

If you liked the kat 750 I'd seriously take a look at a 1200 or 1250 bandit. Comfy, handles well, absolute kick ass torque monster engine and if you like to tinker there's about 30 extra horse power locked inside the 1200 that you can massage out for about $700. givi makes a touring package for them, the fairing and windshield offer good wind protection and they get eh..decent mileage if you can keep out of the throttle (which I cantl. Catch up with me this spring and I'll let you take mine for a spin.

I bought a 07 sportster with low miles last march for 5k. I had it until the end of july. I am 5-9 and about 250, so i looked like a monkey humping a football but I had fun with it. I put about 7000 miles on it when i traded it for a road king which I love. Next yr I will upgrade to a street glide or road glide.

• Upvote 1

Get away from cruisers and you might find riding bliss.

Idk man, I have fun on 2 wheels whether it's a cruiser, a ujm, a hypersport, or a scooter. I love the acceleration of the cbr, and the way I can throw it through a corner, but I also really enjoy zipping through town on the scooter waving to everyone like an idiot and getting giggles and waves in return.

Idk man, I have fun on 2 wheels whether it's a cruiser, a ujm, a hypersport, or a scooter. I love the acceleration of the cbr, and the way I can throw it through a corner, but I also really enjoy zipping through town on the scooter waving to everyone like an idiot and getting giggles and waves in return.

Proof he just likes the attention.

I bought a 07 sportster with low miles last march for 5k. I had it until the end of july. I am 5-9 and about 250, so i looked like a monkey humping a football but I had fun with it. I put about 7000 miles on it when i traded it for a road king which I love. Next yr I will upgrade to a street glide or road glide.

Would have totally upgraded to a Street Glide this year or the new Road Glide, I love the improvements that they made to the bikes but can't justify the payment right now. Great bikes though ! 

I had a 1200 Custom for 2 years. It was a fun bike, but in those 2 years, I realized I enjoyed riding longer distance weekend trips, and it wasn't gonna work for what I needed. Yeah it sounds cool, and it would carry the front wheel at stoplights, but a 400 mile day was torture. I have now moved to sport touring bikes and couldn't be happier. I am 5'10" and the pic below I was around 230lbs. I know I looked cool as a sleeveless squid  :cool: Sportster_zpsseeupnhv.jpg

Edited by JustinNck1

Get away from cruisers and you might find riding bliss.

I guess I've outgrown adrenaline and moved on to relaxation as my fuel. No hate for the fast bikes. I certainly enjoyed mine....., but cruising along with room to move my feet, a couple of cases full of whatever I might want to have with me, and cruise control...well that's what it's all about to me now.

I had a 1200 Custom for 2 years. It was a fun bike, but in those 2 years, I realized I enjoyed riding longer distance weekend trips, and it wasn't gonna work for what I needed. Yeah it sounds cool, and it would carry the front wheel at stoplights, but a 400 mile day was torture. I have now moved to sport touring bikes and couldn't be happier. I am 5'10" and the pic below I was around 230lbs. I know I looked cool as a sleeveless squid  :cool: Sportster_zpsseeupnhv.jpg

Totally agree, good bike great sound and really good as a urban crawler. Anything more then 4 hours spent on it would put me in a crazy house. i actually had to put a Corbin seat on mine to extend ride times. Still a good budget Harley 

I guess I've outgrown adrenaline and moved on to relaxation as my fuel. No hate for the fast bikes. I certainly enjoyed mine....., but cruising along with room to move my feet, a couple of cases full of whatever I might want to have with me, and cruise control...well that's what it's all about to me now.

My bike is not fast per say, but it is very versatile and very comfortable, that was the only point I was trying to make I reckon. :)

I won't lie. I wanted either an Iron 883 or a Forty Eight. I also looked at quite a few used Vrods. I decided to go another route based on price and weight.

I'm 5'11" and 215lbs. Not sure if I would look like a circus bear on a tricycle or not. My wife says that I am too big for the FZ07. Oh well. :(

Youre an inch shorter than me. No way you're too big for any normal bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely think the sport-touring is a good way to go...i'm going to own something right now even though I'll probably get mocked for it :)

I owned a '96 Suzuki Katana 750...I know, I know...it's stupid heavy and doesn't crank out the power like a real sportbike. But man, that thing was comfortable and it had some power. AND they've been around so long their solid as hell, lots of parts if you need them, and they don't break the bank.

Seriously - if I found a good condition, low miles Katana 750..I'd probably snag it up. My '96 got stolen 1 month after I bought it...one of the worst days of my life!

Mine isn't low mileage, and it is anything but mint, but I would let it go for a reasonable price. It's a 2000.