Yamaha: 5 Valve R1

Ducati: Sport Classic/Desmosedici can't decide

BMW: K1200R

Triumph: Bonneville

Kawasaki: H1 Mach III Triple

Aprilia: Tuono V4R APRC

Harley: XR 750

Indian: Scout

Here's a secret. All Japanese bikes,....

Are exactly the same.

This might possibly be the dumbest thing you've said to date on this forum….but I'll gladly allow you to have your misinformed opinion.

This might possibly be the dumbest thing you've said to date on this forum….but I'll gladly allow you to have your misinformed opinion.

I am hoping it was sarcasm given that he owns a Ninja.

Ault, The Ducati Sportclassic = not one of their best bikes ever.  I have spent more in aftermarket parts for my sportclassic to fix all the problems it left the factory with than what I spent on the bike new.  Now I will back that up with the statement that I can't imagine ever selling mine.  There is certainly a mushy spot in my brain somewhere that wants me to ride that thing every chance I get.  With the mods I have done it is now the machine Ducati should have sold in the first place and is both a proper cafe hooligan bike and a very capable corner carving machine.  It just take several years and a bunch of parts to make it happen.

Pretty Vague question. Best at what? Curves in the road & you gotta get to point B as soon as you can:

Yamaha- R1M

KTM- Super Duke 1290

Ducati- Superleggera

BMW- S1000rr

Aprilia- RSV4 Factory

Honda- CBR1000rr SP

Suzuki- GSXR1000

Triumph- Datona 675R

Harley- N.A.

Remember also that we don't always get to see all the bikes a manufacturer makes. Lots of fun stuff out there.

So, care for a VFR800X? A CB400 Super Four? CB1300 Super Four? Or either of those in Bol D'or trim? Or maybe a W800? A ZRX1200? That's just scratching the surface.

I wouldn't count the following as necessarily the BEST from each respective manufacturer, but they sure scratch an itch for me...

BMW: Anything GS for their utility, any R series from the 70s for sheer beauty and several of the K series would make an awesome sport touring bike

Triumph: If they make the Bonneville with ABS next year, I might have to finally bite.  I love that bike, including their scrambler model, but I can't see spending nearly 10k for something without ABS - the CB1100 is a better pick for now, as is the Scrambler Ducati if you can get into its weird styling

Honda: I really respect their balance of engineering simplicity, reliability and value.  Not always the top styling and certainly not the cutting edge style wise these days with the exception of the great CB1100.  They should be ashamed of themselves for lagging in the mid-sized scrambler and ADV trends given what they could do with the CB500 platform

Harley: I have to admit that I'd probably totally enjoy a white Road King.  Sure, it would be fat, heavy, expensive and a PIA to keep clean but they have amazing lines and can be exceedingly-well equipped for long trips.  Still, I'd probably be better off with a BMW GS or K-series tourer for more upright ergos for my neck issues

Yamaha: Star Bolt C-Spec.  I'll probably catch shit for that one but I think it's underrated especially against the HD Sportster.

Moto Guzzi: V7 Stone with a few personalizations.  I know, not the best performer and doesn't have ABS but they really nailed the hipster/cafe style while delivering what should be reliable modernity.  Fits my body nicely, at least in the showroom.

There are so many more, but those are the ones getting my eye at the moment.  Still in love with my DL650 though - I can't wait to spend another summer with her. :-)

Edited by smccrory
  • Upvote 1

I would trade the Multistrada for a TigerXC. Other than that, I'm pretty well set for bikes.

Was talking with a 800 XC rider at MMM in Telico Plains Saturday. The only mods were Heidenau K60 tires,windscreen and LED driving lights. Says its the best bike he's ever owned. Looks pretty bad ass.Sounds sweet.

Edited by rollnhot

Was talking with a 800 XC rider at MMM in Telico Plains Saturday. The only mods were Heidenau K60 tires,windscreen and LED driving lights. Says its the best bike he's ever owned. Looks pretty bad ass.Sounds sweet.

Was his name Vince... shaved head, beard, tattoos, and piercings?