Cosmetic cleaning (engine, pipes etc.)

dustyxbla

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, and new to riding as well. I bought a 1979 CB750 Limited in February and have been learning my way around a wrench (and multimeter). I recently took the motorcycle Ohio course and became endorsed. I wanted to start a discussion on a topic I've gotten plenty of different methods on. How do you choose to clean/polish your motor and pipes/engine covers? I've heard everything from pressure wash to marvel mystery oil. I'm just curious what everybody uses and how the apply it. My bike isn't dull, but she could definitely use love. So please, let me (and everybody else) know what you do to keep your bike looking like the gem she is.

Here's my baby.

7b5d7cdcf5ae501def06cb4b7078a096.jpg

Your CB looks cleaner than my '08 Ninja, wish I had some tips for ya other than lots of time and elbow grease.

EODesmo has some skills keeping bikes clean head to toe, the '06 KTM I bought off him looks new

Pickling paste on the metal parts

What the hell is pickling paste? Lol

Your CB looks cleaner than my '08 Ninja, wish I had some tips for ya other than lots of time and elbow grease.

EODesmo has some skills keeping bikes clean head to toe, the '06 KTM I bought off him looks new

And thanks! It had some loving owners before me. I'm glad it hasn't got chopped up like many others I've seen. I'm all for time and elbow grease, wondered if anybody had a "special sauce" they use as a polish or cleaner. I've tried a little of everything and it all works, some better than others. My biggest concern is keeping her away from a garden hose. I've checked all the wires, but you never know what can happen when you mix a bike this old with water.

Wow - very nice CB! -- With your bike, my biggest concern would be to use something that is too agressive on surfaces. 

I would use as the overall main cleaner - Original Bike Spirits Cleaner, it used to be the actual Honda Cleaner, before Honda move to another formula.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/

You can use for most of the stuff on the bike - wheels, paint, frame. For tight nooks and crannys, use a soft tooth brush and Qtips. Always, always finish wipe with a fine micro fibre cloth. Nothing else. --- For your chrome, you could use Mothers Chrome polish..  

Wow - very nice CB! -- With your bike, my biggest concern would be to use something that is too agressive on surfaces.

I would use as the overall main cleaner - Original Bike Spirits Cleaner, it used to be the actual Honda Cleaner, before Honda move to another formula.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/

You can use for most of the stuff on the bike - wheels, paint, frame. For tight nooks and crannys, use a soft tooth brush and Qtips. Always, always finish wipe with a fine micro fibre cloth. Nothing else. --- For your chrome, you could use Mothers Chrome polish..

Thank you! I'm losing some of the clear coat on my covers. Definitely be interested in that stuff, I have a plethora of toothbrushes for fine cleaning. Can you buy this stuff local, or more or less only online?

Thank you! I'm losing some of the clear coat on my covers. Definitely be interested in that stuff, I have a plethora of toothbrushes for fine cleaning. Can you buy this stuff local, or more or less only online?

Most bike shops have it in stock. If you ask for it, they should know what it is.............

That's a very nice 79 CB750. Looks like it was well cared for and stayed stock.

There are some "don'ts" also:

Do not use steel wool on aluminum. (Most of the aluminum is clear coated anyway, not a good idea.)

Do not use ArmorAll or similar on tires or seat. Way too slippery.

Avoid most automotive wheel cleaners. Too aggressive and can blemish surfaces. Use something like Simple Green.

Avoid pressure washing. It gets past seals and gaskets too often.

If the bike is dirty or dusty, wash it first. And yes, the Bike Spirits and Mother's Chrome Polish are quick and easy good stuff.

Kerosene and/or mineral spirits are good solvents for really tough gunk. (Chain and stuff around it.)

Lube the chain after cleaning or washing or rain.

There are special cleaners and polishes for engines. Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't.  Haven't tried them all, expensive and unnecessary. I have my doubts about all "special" cleaners and polishes.

Get some cheap microfiber towels from Harbor Freight or similar.

Given the age of the bike, stay aware of electrical gremlins, and check connectors for corrosion when you can. Some can be cleaned, some will have to be replaced. Also check the front brake hydraulic line (and fluid), and replace it if necessary.

Edited by ReconRat

I have used a pressure washer almost every time I have washed my bikes over the last 40 years it has never caused a problem. Isn't riding in the rain at 60 plus mph almost the same thing?

For cleaning burnt on road film on engine blocks and fins I get the engine warm (not hot) and spray it down with WD40 then let it stay on all night then the next day I spray it down with engine degreaser and power wash it off it comes out looking like new every time.

Or.... just go to WebBikeWorld reviews and read what they have to say. Great website...

Motorcycle Cleaners, Waxes & Polish Reviews

Motorcycle Cleaners, Polishes & Wax Reviews

And after looking around there, I'm going to try this on wheels and engine:

Britemax Grime Out - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-cleaning-polish/metal-master/britemax-grime-out.htm

...pressure washer...

Yes, me too. I use pressure washers also. I don't think I've had a problem either. I think it's more of having a seal or gasket that isn't in good shape. And knowing what parts and places not to hit with the pressure. And not getting too close some places with the pressure. I'll have to try the WD-40 trick.

That's a very nice 79 CB750. Looks like it was well cared for and stayed stock.

There are some "don'ts" also:

Do not use steel wool on aluminum. (Most of the aluminum is clear coated anyway, not a good idea.)

Do not use ArmorAll or similar on tires or seat. Way too slippery.

Avoid most automotive wheel cleaners. Too aggressive and can blemish surfaces. Use something like Simple Green.

Avoid pressure washing. It gets past seals and gaskets too often.

If the bike is dirty or dusty, wash it first. And yes, the Bike Spirits and Mother's Chrome Polish are quick and easy good stuff.

Kerosene and/or mineral spirits are good solvents for really tough gunk. (Chain and stuff around it.)

Lube the chain after cleaning or washing or rain.

There are special cleaners and polishes for engines. Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. Haven't tried them all, expensive and unnecessary. I have my doubts about all "special" cleaners and polishes.

Get some cheap microfiber towels from Harbor Freight or similar.

Given the age of the bike, stay aware of electrical gremlins, and check connectors for corrosion when you can. Some can be cleaned, some will have to be replaced. Also check the front brake hydraulic line (and fluid), and replace it if necessary.

Thank you, I've got all the original parts minus the 4-4 exhaust and front turn signals. The front brake was seized when I got it so I rebuild the cylinder with all new parts and cleaned the hose as well. That's for the advice, I've got a slight oil leak, left side. Haven't located it yet, which is why pressurized water is scaring me. I'll have to keep the simply green in mind. Also, currently dealing with an electrical gremlin. I'm replacing the regulator/rectifier. Its the only part of the charging system I HAVEN'T replaced. I'm not guessing, all the parts tested bad. Hope this is the last piece of the puzzle. Also, since armor all is obviously bad news on a seat, so you use anything to keep your leather nice? My old lady is nearing 40 and has a flawless seat, I'd like to keep it that way.

I have used a pressure washer almost every time I have washed my bikes over the last 40 years it has never caused a problem. Isn't riding in the rain at 60 plus mph almost the same thing?

For cleaning burnt on road film on engine blocks and fins I get the engine warm (not hot) and spray it down with WD40 then let it stay on all night then the next day I spray it down with engine degreaser and power wash it off it comes out looking like new every time.

I've never had a bad experience with pressure washers, I've just never used one on a bike, seems like it could be trouble. Good to know I can use it though. Also I really like that wd-40 tip. I'll have to try that. I really want to have my engine "shine" I haven't cleaned it up at all yet, so I'm not sure of elbow grease and a spit shine will do it, or if I'll need something to help. Thanks for the tips all.

1979 CB750 Limited Edition

0e59e5645121346d08e5f66aa0d96bb4.jpg

This is the bike I'm really asking this question for. 72 CB350k3 it's my buddies barn find and as you can see its quite the piece. I'm waiting on an ignition switch which has all forward progress on hold. Wanted to clean her up since I can't work on her. No rust, though! Just gunk.

Looks to me like the battery might have burst on the CB350. So there is a lot of work to do there around that area. I would remove the back fender to work on that. You might have to paint part of the fender. Definitely open up all brakes and clean and inspect. Rims and spokes look pretty good though, that's unusual.

Edited by ReconRat

The fenders are rusty, as as some of the frame. The engine, is rust free though. There's so much dirt/debris/rust on the frame that I don't even know where to start. I really want to hose this pig down, but its Ina pretty delicate state. Carb boots have no clamps, gas lines have pipe clamps etc etc. I'd agree with your battery comment. The box is full of powdered rust. The rear fender was held up by a wedged short handle screw driver. Not even kidding. It had a gigantic homemade sissy bar on it as well as a steel beer cooler rack on the back. The throttle cables are frayed and some of the electrical connections are soldered on, or were and came loose. Front brake is non responsive. I told him I'd help because I want the experience on a points ignition bike, but there's a lot to learn. It only had one owner who passed away. $300 and a clean title.

From experience with old bike electrical gremlins... make sure the fuse box has clean contacts. Once they get light brown corroded, the heat generated there will cause fuses to blow out. Everyone looks everywhere except that.

I've had three CL350, I liked them a lot. Don't set the exhaust valve lash at the minimum dimension. It doesn't like that when the engine gets hot. Ease up a bit. One of the valve rocker shafts is bored a bit off in the head on all of them that I've seen. With some engine wear, it will never quite adjust. Don't worry about that, just get it as close as possible.

Some of the coils have spark plug wires that will unscrew. Replace those with generic from NAPA, cut to fit.

I cut gaskets from an inner tube to put under the tail light bracket. Run a ground wire if needed. The tail light/brake light vibrates and blows bulbs out easy.

From experience with old bike electrical gremlins... make sure the fuse box has clean contacts. Once they get light brown corroded, the heat generated there will cause fuses to blow out. Everyone looks everywhere except that.

I've had three CL350, I liked them a lot. Don't set the exhaust valve lash at the minimum dimension. It doesn't like that when the engine gets hot. Ease up a bit. One of the valve rocker shafts is bored a bit off in the head on all of them that I've seen. With some engine wear, it will never quite adjust. Don't worry about that, just get it as close as possible.

Some of the coils have spark plug wires that will unscrew. Replace those with generic from NAPA, cut to fit.

I cut gaskets from an inner tube to put under the tail light bracket. Run a ground wire if needed. The tail light/brake light vibrates and blows bulbs out easy.

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to keep all that in mind as I run forward with this

I use this for chrome and anything I have polished. I was told it was designed for flat bumpers on Semis. No need to tell me if I'm using the wrong stuff, I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zephyr-Pro-40-Metal-Polish-16/dp/B002SS5ZCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429522414&sr=8-1&keywords=zephyr+pro+40

I use this for chrome and anything I have polished. I was told it was designed for flat bumpers on Semis. No need to tell me if I'm using the wrong stuff, I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zephyr-Pro-40-Metal-Polish-16/dp/B002SS5ZCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429522414&sr=8-1&keywords=zephyr+pro+40

Never even heard of this stuff! Nice!