Dismounting High or Low: Poll

Staubig

My boss, who's a V-Twin type, pretty much gave me noob status for dismounting my bike Left and Low as I pulled into work. This is how I was taught and makes the most sense to me. It's easiest and I disturb the bike the least this way. I'm really thinking that dismounting high side is a HD thing, but i have an undeniable prejudice. We had a 30 minute debate about this, but I don't think either is "wrong" I just think left is easier and makes more sense. Then again not all you Geezers have youthful legs like I do [emoji6] so maybe mounting High/Right side feels more agreeable with your legs.

The only exceptions that come to mind are:

1. dismounting to the right if on the side of the road to avoid traffic.

2. If on soft ground or gravel to avoid forcing the kickstand out from under the bike, or into the ground. I feel like I jostle the bike more when dismounting high side though..

3. To prevent the bike from trapping your leg under it if it falls when mounting.

#1 is my thoughts, #2-3 are his and seem to me like ways to prevent yourself from getting hurt while making idiot decisions on parking and dis/mounting.

I guess I think this is a situational thing, but, hey, I'm new to this whole thing.

Which way do you do it, and why?

AND/OR

What types of riders have you seen do this, and can you gather why they do?

Below is an unrelated picture of my delicious breakfast. Enjoy, and thanks.

b5c0ff60a730390373fabda07454cce6.jpg

Edited by Staubig

If the end result is you off the bike and the bike on its wheels and kick stand, you did it right. Tell this guy to go eat a bag of dicks.

Thank you lol I did, but in a more polite fashion. I had him talked out of it by the end of our conversation. His Harley riding gramps told him it was the 'Murican way to dismount and he apparently never though twice about it. Like I said, I don't think it matters but left side seems so much easier. But now he's got me curious as to how and why people dismount the way they do.

H-D's with their low seats are easy to get off to either side.  Try that on a tall 34-36" seat height ADV bike with a trunk or tail bag attached, 'specially when you get to be 65 yo!  Low side for me.

BTW, what's for breakfast tomorrow?  When should I plan on eating?

Edited by Bubba

H-D's with their low seats are easy to get off to either side. Try that on a tall 34-36" seat height ADV bike with a trunk or tail bag attached, 'specially when you get to be 65 yo! Low side for me.

BTW, what's for breakfast tomorrow? When should I plan on eating?

I'm a grill cheese master. If it tastes good warm and covered in cheese I'll concoct it. I'm off tomorrow, so we'll consider my business hours between 10-10 lol

I'm not too short for my bike, but dismounting to the right is definitely a chore. Never really thought about how low Harley seats are in comparison.

Either way, I don't care. But try high side on a light weight bike and it may want to tip over. Mostly if you put weight on the high peg. Or if you goof and hit a tail rack with your foot on a bigger bike. Low side is probably safest. Getting on is the same to me, don't care. Besides, why would I not want to know how to do this both ways? I'm not superstitious, not throwing salt over my shoulder every time I ride a bike.

Parking, heh... I usually head in instead of Harley back in. But I'll back to a curb on an open street. But overriding all is, I will point uphill, not downhill. Seen too many bikes go over on their side in my days.

Either way, I don't care. But try high side on a light weight bike and it may want to tip over. Mostly if you put weight on the high peg. Or if you goof and hit a tail rack with your foot on a bigger bike. Low side is probably safest. Getting on is the same to me, don't care. Besides, why would I not want to know how to do this both ways? I'm not superstitious, not throwing salt over my shoulder every time I ride a bike.

Parking, heh... I usually head in instead of Harley back in. But I'll back to a curb on an open street. But overriding all is, I will point uphill, not downhill. Seen too many bikes go over on their side in my days.

I have to back in at work to face uphill, but on flat ground I don't know if I'd rather do the footwork when arriving or leaving. I'll back it in and nose it in. It all depends, like you said.

Tell him that anyone can right side a woman's bike all day long. When he's ready for a real motorcycle, he'll have to hike that skirt a bit to get his leg over the saddle.

He only ever rides mom and dad's bikes, so what does that have him wearing? Denim overalls? Lol

High side, so you can hold the front brakes. MSF teaches it that way and they are right. Are there exceptions? Of course there are.

See I just did the MSF Course in March for my endorsement and everybody mounted left and low and nobody was corrected. We all had to hold the brake, though.

I'd pay money to see one of you tall guys put a bike up on a center stand while mounted lol

I'd pay that too. But what i was getting at is the center stand lever is on the left side( of most) so you would have to dismount on that side to be able to put the stand down. Then mounting is a different story too because there is no high side.

left side so i can make sure the kick stand is down and planted and catch the bike if something goes wrong with the stand / soft ground / whatever else. 

not really worried about a trapped leg as my bike only weighs like 380lbs and i'm not old and crippled until i turn 30 in september. 

I don't know if I'd ever park my bike in public on its center stand. For some reason I don't have much faith in the center stand. Probably because it raises the height, without giving it a crutch to lean on. I rarely leave my bike in gear, unless on an incline that warrants it. I'm always afraid I'll be an idiot and drop the clutch after starting it. I suppose the best way to manage that would be to either always do it or never do it lol

I'll be sure to call him a caca-poopoo-BM'er lol

left side so i can make sure the kick stand is down and planted and catch the bike if something goes wrong with the stand / soft ground / whatever else.

not really worried about a trapped leg as my bike only weighs like 380lbs and i'm not old and crippled until i turn 30 in september.

Word. I don't think I'd ever be worried about being "trapped" under my ole' CB. If I ever owned a Harley fat boy (haha) or the likes then that might be a concern

High side, so you can hold the front brakes. MSF teaches it that way and they are right. Are there exceptions? Of course there are.

Seriously?  Since when can I NOT hold the front brake lever when dismounting/mounting from the left?  Maybe a guy with T-Rex arms….?

• Upvote 1

Not a worry, just curious. I would have never even thought about mounting on the right side unless somebody brought it up. At this point I'm just looking for somebody to argue some good points for their preference.

And I'm with you Bubba, I'm about as "average" as it gets and I have no problems reaching, but it would depend on build + bike

How many people here have ever run up to the bike from behind and vault onto it, knocking it off it's center stand?

Not recommended for more than 300-400 pound bike....

How many people here have ever run up to the bike from behind and vault onto it, knocking it off it's center stand?

Not recommended for more than 300-400 pound bike....

How about get the wheel spinning about 50 mph then kick it off the stand? Like a boss. [emoji12]

I see it now.

FOX8 headline.

A male only known by the username "2talltim" has been alluding law enforcement for weeks. He's being pursued for what the younger generation calls "Bumpy Burnouts". Last seen in the city square bouncing away in a cloud of smoke at 75mph.

I was in a daze one morning parking at work and forgot to put the kickstand down :crazy: .  I leaned the bike over and it kept going. I was parked text to a curb that locked my foot in as the bike pushed my leg and the rest of me over... Into the hedges. They were too soft to push off of and too hard to let me reach the ground. The entire front of our building was 2 stories of glass windows. Everyone must have been at the watercooler making coffee because I wriggled out before anyone saw.

I mount and dismount both from the left even when riding in left drive countries.