another smh10 thread

Gixxus Christ!

Ordered mine today. Thought about getting the smh10r but didn't like the remote battery pack or the buttons. The dial control on the regular smh10 seems like it's much easier to manipulate with gloves on. Any tips out there? It's going into my bell star carbon.

I like the dial on mine although fairly often I reach up to turn it and accidentally push in the dial making it try to connect to the intercom which is annoying sometimes.

On a related note, anyone using the microphone with a modular helmet? I'm guessing the boom mike is the better option but it seems to get in the way.

Edited by ScubaCinci

On a related note, anyone using the microphone with a modular helmet? I'm guessing the boom mike is the better option but it seems to get in the way.

Everyone I know with a modular helmet and a Sena headset uses the boom mic and does their best to curve it closest to their mouth.  It's handy to them in a group when stopping for a quick fuel break - they can still talk while getting fresh air.  The downside is when the helmet doesn't permit the boom to be close enough, so take care to clip the dial forward enough to allow the boom to get close to the mouth.

I don't have a modular, was going to use the wired mic.

You'll be good then - the 10 is a fantastic device.  Let's join up sometime again and go riding and we'll bind the sets together.  You still need to flog my DL650.

Everyone I know with a modular helmet and a Sena headset uses the boom mic and does their best to curve it closest to their mouth.  It's handy to them in a group when stopping for a quick fuel break - they can still talk while getting fresh air.  The downside is when the helmet doesn't permit the boom to be close enough, so take care to clip the dial forward enough to allow the boom to get close to the mouth.

Thanks...I have to find it first. I had been using the wire mic on my old helmet. I liked being able to ask SIRI questions (i.e. read the last text, or what's the score of the Reds game) while I was stuck in traffic. My Neotec helmet has a pretty large chin skirt so it may be tough to open the helmet without conflict.

Thanks...I have to find it first. I had been using the wire mic on my old helmet. I liked being able to ask SIRI questions (i.e. read the last text, or what's the score of the Reds game) while I was stuck in traffic. My Neotec helmet has a pretty large chin skirt so it may be tough to open the helmet without conflict.

Exactly, but I bet you'll get it close enough.  BTW you are getting that Tenere dirty I hope?  You didn't ride with us to the Romney Camp-and-Ride 2 weekends ago, so you're already on my shit list.  :lolhitsign:

I had my SMH10 on my Shoei Qwest with the wired mic and it worked amazing. When people would call me, they didn't even know I was on the bike. Now, I have upgraded to a Shoei Neotec, and switched to the boom mic. It took some getting used to, since I always run with a chin curtain, but some trial and error and now it works great. If you're using a full face though, wired mic is a way better setup IMO.

• Upvote 2

Exactly, but I bet you'll get it close enough.  BTW you are getting that Tenere dirty I hope?  You didn't ride with us to the Romney Camp-and-Ride 2 weekends ago, so you're already on my shit list.  :lolhitsign:

Not yet but plan to this season. I've been working 60 hours a week for the last few months and it leaves me little time for much else. The good news is, if things go as planned I'll be switching roles at work and along with a promotion, I'll be back to a sane schedule. I'm really itching to take it out west.

Boners for everyone!

I'm sure the speakers will be much better than the thumper 2's I have now. Plus I don't have to have a cable from my helmet to my phone. Also now my wife can just call if she's worried instead of assuming I'm dead on the street and then being mad at me for surviving (and not calling) when I get home.

Agreed. Being able to take or make a quick call with a single tap is very nice. I've handled short calls and they didn't know I was on the bike at first. It's also really nice to take turn-by-turn directions from Google Maps. A lot of times I throw myself into new roads without keeping close attention to my return route, and once I start to feel like heading back, I use Google to talk me home while simultaneously listening to music. And what's also cool is that you can hear OK through foam earplugs. Being able to converse in a group is great too - perfect for additional coordination and group situational awareness.

The only pain in the ass is pairing up multiple headsets of different models. My 20S for example, needs to either hang off a Sena 10-led set of 2-4, or has to be the master in a chain of up to 8 (or is it 9?). I highly recommend studying the pairing and group intercom procedures and keeping the instructions handy in a tank bag.

• Upvote 1

Since I don't really have anyone to ride with (thanks ORDN) I'm gonna use it for music and phone mostly. I will use it for gps too when I actually have a destination or if I somehow get so far from my home I can't even.

Agreed. Being able to take or make a quick call with a single tap is very nice. I've handled short calls and they didn't know I was on the bike at first. It's also really nice to take turn-by-turn directions from Google Maps. A lot of times I throw myself into new roads without keeping close attention to my return route, and once I start to feel like heading back, I use Google to talk me home while simultaneously listening to music. And what's also cool is that you can hear OK through foam earplugs. Being able to converse in a group is great too - perfect for additional coordination and group situational awareness.

The only pain in the ass is pairing up multiple headsets of different models. My 20S for example, needs to either hang off a Sena 10-led set of 2-4, or has to be the master in a chain of up to 8 (or is it 9?). I highly recommend studying the pairing and group intercom procedures and keeping the instructions handy in a tank bag.

I have so much trouble with the pairing. I was out the other day with two S10s and a different brand not sure which. I could hear both other headsets fine but the other s10 said he had to struggle to hear me. He could pretty much only hear me when stopped. He could also hear the off brand perfectly fine. Have you had this issue? I'm not sure if it matters but he was the head of the chain. Other than that, I fully recommend the product, when its just me and the s10, my normal riding partner, its wonderful and couldn't complain a bit.

Speakers are awesome! I pretty much have the volume turned up at all times with my earplugs in and the only time it's not loud enough is on the highway because my helmet is pretty loud with wind noise

I've inly paired mine once and it was down at deals gap area and it's nice but doesn't have much range I found. I got it mainly for the music aspect and prefer it that way when I'm riding anyway. I'll talk to people at stops

Ok got it today. Couldnt mount it to by bell star using the clamp so it's stuck on. Speakers are loud but not much bass Really. Better than the thumper 2's I had in there previously. So far I've had 3 phone calls while riding and they were very clear on both ends. I can even use the voice control function on my phone but it's a bit wonky. I'm pretty happy with it, looking forward to intercom with another rider.

the way the cheek pads fit. There's that thin plastic part that slides between the shell and the non removable part of the liner, in order to use the clamp you'd have to cut it for the wires to run through. The sticky clamp seems pretty solid tho.

I was afraid to use the sticky clamp my self, I was able to hide my wires tho,can only see about an inch worth of wiring coming from the clamp itself. They wrap in under the liner that goes on the top of my head.

Yea, I just didn't want them hanging and was no other way around it. Would of had slack hanging out if I did it any other way. My helmet isn't designed for Bluetooth either. The speakers themselves create pressure on my ear on one side but only slight, you have that issue?