Consultation and advice

Staubig

So my bike got stuck in the rain at work a week or so ago and it would run fine, but die at idle. I figured maybe I got water in my tank. Got a new tank of gas and it ran better. Its been dying at idle lately though and I'm pretty sure my carbs just need synced. I upped my idle to about 1800rpm and its doing fine. But i want to fix the problem, not work around it. Not even sure if the rain is related to my current problems. So what I'm really asking is: What is the best balance of cost effective and accurate carb syncing. I don't have much extra money to be spending on tools or service. Either way I look at it a cheap sync tool is about $100 and I'm sure a mechanic will charge pretty close to the same.

Start by pouring a bunch of Seafoam in the tank and then drive it like you stole it. Seafoam, no other brand. Might take an application or two.

I have done something similar to below to make your own sync tool on my Spirit 750. Google homemade carb sync tool for other ideas.  But do the Seafoam thing first.

Edited by Tonik

Is the seafoam purpose for the water, or for cleaning the carbs? I fully rebuilt the carbs in March, I just never did a proper sync. I poured a "bunch" in this last tank. I never measure, but I definitely put prob. 2-3 oz in

I've seen the water bottle system before and have been kinda curious about trying it. I just might give it a shot. I'd rather do this myself than pay somebody, but alas, riding season is upon us.

I'll keep that stuff in mind. My carb is clean though. Rebuilt it less than 500 miles ago. New gaskets, brass and rubber bits, completely disassembled it to the last screw. Gunk is not my issue. A bad bench sync is lol

• 1 month later...

Check the carb boots for cracks and proper seating.

^ THIS! If the carb boots are 10 years old or more, change them. They are going to crack if they haven't already and suck in air. A/F ratio gets super lean and no idle. By turning up the idle you are introducing more fuel to level out the ratio.

I'll bet it's a cracked/loose boot.

I think your wasting your money on additives. Never once have I had them directly fix a real problem. Sounds like your idle circuit, aka low speed orifice is plugged on one of the carbs maybe. A little piece of dirt in the fuel bowl is being sucked up blocking the hole or stil in the hole . My first thing is to turn off the gas if possible and drain each carb via the screw on the bottom of the carb fuel bowl. If that doesn't work pull off the bowls and inspect. I agree with inspecting the rubber carb boot between the carb and head 1st.

Possibly rain water is just a coincidence.

Edited by Gump