Windows 10? Thoughts?

chevysoldier

Hate to dredge up an oldish thread, but... I did the Win 10 conversion and compared the 8.1 it keeps trying to find other networks, dropping off the internet. But I am direct cable to the modem via Ethernet and then direct cable to TW. I have no intention of going Wi Fi in my house. 

Any hints on setting up this POS so it stops looking for alternate networks that arent there?

Thanks for any help....

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 6:55 PM, mello dude said:

Hate to dredge up an oldish thread, but... I did the Win 10 conversion and compared the 8.1 it keeps trying to find other networks, dropping off the internet. But I am direct cable to the modem via Ethernet and then direct cable to TW. I have no intention of going Wi Fi in my house. 

Any hints on setting up this POS so it stops looking for alternate networks that arent there?

Thanks for any help....

There should be a way under settings, Network & Internet, then there should be a tab for wireless that you can shut off.

If not, right click on the windows start button and go to control panel, network and sharing center, change adapter settings, right click on the wireless adapter and disable it.

As for cortana, what needs disabled? Mine doesn't do anything unless I click on the cortana button.

10 hours ago, blue03636 said:

There should be a way under settings, Network & Internet, then there should be a tab for wireless that you can shut off.

If not, right click on the windows start button and go to control panel, network and sharing center, change adapter settings, right click on the wireless adapter and disable it.

As for cortana, what needs disabled? Mine doesn't do anything unless I click on the cortana button.

yeah I have been been screwing with the network settings and figured out how to disable any WiFi stuff. I helped some, but still a couple times a surf session, it decides something is wrong and goes looking for another network. Drives me nutz...

Cortana? That's MicroSofts version of an active spy to data mine your every move even if you dont want it to. (bastards)

39 minutes ago, mello dude said:

yeah I have been been screwing with the network settings and figured out how to disable any WiFi stuff. I helped some, but still a couple times a surf session, it decides something is wrong and goes looking for another network. Drives me nutz...

Cortana? That's MicroSofts version of an active spy to data mine your every move even if you dont want it to. (bastards)

Umm yea ok.

If you really want it off.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-turn-off-cortana-completely/

• 2 weeks later...

I got along fine with XP...used it at home, work...Wife was used to 7, but quickly adapted.

The old tower died and I brought a new one with 8; we adapted.  Upgraded to 8.1; we adapted again.  Damned thing upgraded itself to 10.  Thing slowed down, ignored us when we dis-abled their "mining", and then it got weird.  So back to 8.1.

I have a copy of XP and am thinking about re-installing it.  Fuck Microsoft.  A computer (or anything for that matter) should please and serve the user. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grumpy, have you tried shutting the power off at your surge protector or un-plugging it?  Wait 15 minutes and turn power on and start your computer in safe mode?

DISCLAIMER:  I am damn near computer stupid and have no inkling of what will happen.  But when I've had blue screen before I did this and was able to get decent results.  Also suggest invoking whatever deity one may believe in.

On 11/11/2016 at 7:20 AM, motocat12 said:

f8 during boot and start in safe mode, then control panel>system> system protection>system restore to an earlier point

apparently f8 doesn't do safe mode on this POS. I power up and hit repeatedly and nothing. Just goes straight to that blue screen or one that says choose keyboard layout but can't use the keyboard or the mouse

It's really hard to boot in safe mode using F8 in Windows 10 - especially if the OS is on an SSD. The load time is so quick for the OS, the window of opportunity where the F8 key functions is incredibly brief and it's almost impossible to do. Your best bet is to insert a windows 10 disk and boot from the disk to use the repair utility. If it doesn't boot from the CD automatically, you may need to hit the 'delete' key (could be something else depending on the motherboard) to boot to the BIOS and set the startup drive to be the CD drive.

• Upvote 1