Anyone have a Wrangler Unlimited?

Casper

Friend has an early version, it had a serious leak when he bought it where the windshield met the plastic roof.  Had it fixed, never had another issue.  Neighbor just bought one and has towed a single axle 5x8 open trailer to get mulch. 

FWIW he also has a daughter in a wheelchair and she can get in and out of it pretty easily and they take her chair with her with plenty of room.  He's a firefighter and got the bigger wheels, tires, and some extra's on it.  Not quite the Call of Duty model but similar.  I love it.  Silver with blacked out everything.  It's an auto with the bigger motor. 

Friend of mine had a lifted 2007(?) unlimited.  I hated it.  Tons of play in the steering. Horrible ride.  Bad gas mileage.

With stock ride height and tires, it may not be as bad.   It will tow a small trailer as well as any small truck.  I have only driven the automatic model of that generation.  Again, the oversized tires probably dampened my experience with it.

We did have some fun trying to get it stuck in the snow though.  Only time we succeeded was in the pit lot after a browns game.   I convinced my friend to attempt to drive up and over the 25' pile of snow that they had plowed into the center of the lot :D

Had one, a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon, six speed, 4.10 gears. Loved everything about it. Would buy again. Pentastar engine is fabulous, with plenty of power. If I bought again, I'd probably get the 5 speed auto. I never towed with it, but I imagine you could tow whatever it's rated for with ease. Incredible resale value. I bought mine new for $36,700 plus tax, and sold it 13 months/21k miles later for $34k. I miss it regularly.

Edited by BadTrainDriver

Seems to be a love/hate relationship with jeeps and as picky as I am I acually get it. They are cool, they are one of a kind and everyone wants one at one time or another. But then the negatives, frames rust out, weak drivetrain, limited on what you can do with them as far as cargo and towing, and I have hear quite a few people talk of leaks and things braking. Would I own one? Aboslulty! Would I pay the premium price a nice one sees to go for? Hell no.

Had one, a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon, six speed, 4.10 gears. Loved everything about it. Would buy again. Pentastar engine is fabulous, with plenty of power. If I bought again, I'd probably get the 5 speed auto. I never towed with it, but I imagine you could tow whatever it's rated for with ease. Incredible resale value. I bought mine new for $36,700 plus tax, and sold it 13 months/21k miles later for $34k. I miss it regularly.

Basically the exact same I'm looking at. Why would you do auto over manual if you bought another one?

I'm not at all a fan of Chrysler. That said, Wranglers are a solid vehicle. Just know what you are buying. They steer funny, ride like shit, and get awful mileage for their size. Lift it and all of those problems get worse. But they are the standard for off road. Towing isn't bad but there are better vehicles if you want to tow regularly.

I'm not at all a fan of Chrysler. That said, Wranglers are a solid vehicle. Just know what you are buying. They steer funny, ride like shit, and get awful mileage for their size. Lift it and all of those problems get worse. But they are the standard for off road. Towing isn't bad but there are better vehicles if you want to tow regularly.

Towing is just two motorcycles, one or two ATVs, and maybe occasionally jet skis (sold mine, but never know...). Not much at all, and not very often. Fuel mileage is better than the 4Runner and Danger Ranger by about 1-3 MPG. That made me chuckle. Keep hearing how bad they are for fuel mileage. I'd say for a 4WD they're pretty good.

Love my non-JK wrangler TJ [emoji4]

Straight 6 is winning forever.

Just pulled a 4x8 enclosed U-Haul here to colorado with my bike in it and filled the rest of the way with boxes. Did fantastically, does have 4:10 gearing, 31" mud terrains, and ~2" lift. Was getting around 15 mpg on flat land when it wasn't obnoxiously windy, dropped to bout 8 in areas uphill and with wind, an that was 65-70 mph most the way.

The TJ has the lowest towing capacity of the wranglers too, so I don't think you'll have to worry about anything with an unlimited, unless you try towing another unlimited, then you might reach some kind of limit.. hehe.

At 55 to 60 MPH, my Unlimited Rubicon would turn an actual 20 MPG.

Stop and go traffic, or 70-75MPH, and it would drop to 14-15 actual MPG.

I've had a 1990 YJ, two TJ's, and then the 2012 Unlimited JK Rubicon...and the JK was hands down the best riding, driving, and overall performing Jeep.

Towing is just two motorcycles, one or two ATVs, and maybe occasionally jet skis (sold mine, but never know...). Not much at all, and not very often. Fuel mileage is better than the 4Runner and Danger Ranger by about 1-3 MPG. That made me chuckle. Keep hearing how bad they are for fuel mileage. I'd say for a 4WD they're pretty good.

Actually Ben I think a Jeep would be perfect for you and what you ultimately want it for, they are "much more" reliable then some here are giving them credit. Yeah they are ridiculous expensive for what you get, but it is a Jeep thing. ;)

It does seem like a vehicle up your alley but I'd never buy Chrysler. Friend has an older one and hers looks like shit. Reliability reviews are not great.

Edited by Gump

My friend had one and she loved it and so did I. I drove it a bunch but never on a daily basis. The only thing she replaced in the two year she had it before we parted ways was the rear hatch glass after a softball went through it

We have had our 2014 since november of last year and love it. You will have no problem hauling a small trailer. I haul a 17ft boat behind ours all the time. It trailers great. If you are wanting to take advantage of the 4x4 just make sure you get a locking rear diff. best $250 you will spend on a factory option ever. I think the sahara and rubicon come with them but not the sport model. And the newer autos are a 6spd so that helps a ton with gas mileage. I have a handful of complaints but they are minor and only about interior setup. You will have plenty of room for the whole family and the seats fold down flat so i use it like a truck a good amount of the time.