WTB: small 4 or 6 cylinder truck

Bad324

Time for another one of my needle in a haystack searches!

Looking for a Good condition small truck like an S10, Sonoma or Ranger with a 4 or 6 cyl engine for around $2500. The catch is I'm looking for it to have the extended cab, low mileage and little rust

The Colorado, Tacoma and Frontier are options to me to but I'm guessing at that price range it would be impossible

Anyone here have anything or know someone that has what I'm looking for?

Edited by Bad324

Good luck. Seems you're wanting a lot for $2500,

I'll need it! I stumbled upon two possibilities (one extended cab, one wasn't but only had 40k on it) locally which got me thinking I'll expand the search and see if I have any luck. This is like plan C of my new vehicle maneuvering scheme

I liked my ranger.  The only problem I ever had with it was suspension bits wearing out.  It had 130,000 miles or more on it by then... 

The 4.0 may do slightly better with the manual transmission, but I was getting 17-18mpg in real-world driving conditions.   If you do the speed limit on the highway and don't run AC, 22mpg is possible.  I only ever got that while following my (then future) mother-in-law to Philadelphia.  She wasn't a grandma then, but she drove like one...

but for $750, I wouldn't worry too much about economy.

can you shed some light onto what you're using the truck for?

I am a firm believer that having a gas guzzler is cheaper than having a car payment, but (cheap) trucks are a compromise from the start...  Again, I liked my ranger.  I found it to be everything I expected.  The ride wasn't bad.   The 4.0 had enough gusto to get out of its own way for sure.  The extended cab was roomy enough to keep stuff protected from the weather and recline the seat, and the small interior (compared to a car) meant the heat and AC were very efficient.

the only time I didn't love that truck was in the winter when I would back out of my driveway, and not move an inch when I tried to pull forward.  I literally backed around the block and back into my driveway one morning, then called into work to let them know i'd be late...

Until next spring it would be my DD to and from work. Since we are moving in two weeks to a new house it will come in handy having the bed. My wife has a 4 door car and in September they will likely call her for early lease turn in and being replaced with a small SUV. Next spring I will get a fun car that will put the truck into winter beater duty

I like where your head is at, but driving a 2wd truck in the snow isn't awesome.   Plan on buying snow tires nad having weight in the bed for sure.  I used to buy a crappy pool float and fill it with water every winter.  It freezes surprisingly quickly.