Time Warner Issues - T3 Timeout Error

Tomcat0403

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this.

My setup

-TWC 15/1 connection

-Modem Motorola SB6141

-Router Linksys AC simultaneous Dual band

-10 devices connected, not all consistently used

Symptoms

-Connection Reset every 5-30 minutes

-Just enough to kick me off a game, interrupt a movie/video, or browsing Reddit (wont load)

-No change in router or modem (stays on, no reboot)

-Upstream signal to noise ratio is high

-Modem log notes a lot of T3 timeouts (but not every time it happens)

-all times of day/night

-could be one device or all 10 - same thing happens

-Direct connected modem to Xbox - still happens

-bought new modem (same one SB6141) still happens

-Reset and optimized router for shits and gigs - still happens

-been going on 2.5 months

Naturally TWC has been terrible about all of it.  When i first noticed the issue it was the reboot everything blah blah.  Then it was send the in house guys out even after i told them it is outside the house.  That took care of it for about 4 days, started happening again.  Talked to Tier III, first time I called, we worked through a lot of the troubleshooting.  Looked at logs and Upstream Signal to noise raitos (high).  He finally agrees that there must be something wrong around the Node and would contact TechOps to have them check it out.  Assured me someone would physically inspect it all and would maybe take a week (credited me $20, it had been 2 months since the issue started).

Week later i call back into TIII, clowns.  No one had been out, "remotely fixed a signal leak" and they would not be sending anyone out.  Well my problem was still happening so they told me get a new modem...did that...still happening.  Well maybe the router, direct connected the new modem to the xbox as well.  Still happening...and not willing to send anyone out before someone came into my house again.

So...I am just worn out that they will not do the right thing and get someone out to look at the node.  I caved and ONCE again, someone is coming out to my house to check levels and replace a few of the connectors.  The interesting thing is, I told them I have done everything they have asked and then some.  How about we try to boost my speed to 30/5 and see if that does anything.  We both agreed that it should not have any effect and might make it worse to jam the upstream even more.  All day yesterday it was flawless.  So at this point I am a bit pissed and lost for a solution.  My 15/1 connection should be more than enough to handle my gaming and streaming (and has been historically).  More bandwidth should not change a shit connection.  Also to no surprise the customer service has been horrid and i should not have to beg to get this fixed like i have.

Any suggestions?

Find a new internet provider. 

I've been lucky with TWC and really have had no issues beyond a spat of random signal interruptions this spring (that were all magically resolved if I called and had them run a speed test on their end). Essentially they know what's wrong but they don't want to spend the money to fix it so they'll just keep giving you the run-around until you finally give up. It must be great having limited competition because you've got washington in your pocket. 

I had a simular problem for about a year maybe 3 years ago. Went though all the same, try this try that. Ended up being somthing at the distribution point at a intersection about a mile down the road. Took them forever to find it and I was the only one on that line so it wasn't a priority.

/half joking filter on

Go find the pedestal that you are connected to and "bump" it a little too hard with a lawn tractor.  :crazy:

/half joking filter off

check the wires in your house.  Can you move the modem to the first device once the coax comes in?  Just keep bugging them   

I've had no issues with TWC internet...quit paying for rental of their modem and get your own. Pays for itself in just a few months

http://www.woot.com/plus/motorola-surfboard-cable-modems-6

Check TWC's site about which models they support but I'm pretty sure one or all on the Woot site today are supported. All you need to do is call TWC and give them the MAC address of the new modem and send theirs back to them.

If it will stay funky for long enough, run a DOS tracert to find the bad location. Give them that IP address. Typically they act up in high and low temperatures. Might have to ask for dispatching or an engineer or something, they seem to know more about the equipment.

My parents has some problems similar to what you described with the service just dropping intermittently at random times of the day and night.  They sent a tech out and went through the lines at the house.  Turns out one of the many splitters that my dad put in was causing the signal problem.  Wound up buying a quality Monster 2Ghz 1 x 4 way splitter and removed all the others and the problem went away.  You want to minimize splitters if at all possible.

Here in our house we have a powered splitter that TWC put in, it's like a 1 x 8 I think and never had a problem with it.  I did at one time have a problem where my router config got all jacked up for some reason...Linksys 4200.  It wasn't a signal drop but nothing in the house could get any internet through the router.  In any case I had to install the latest firmware on it again, configure it from a backup file and the problem was solved.

Edited by r1crusher

Last time I fixed a bad signal/noise, it was a buried coax down in Florida. They traced it to confirm, and dug the line out and replaced it. Corroded connectors, or something. Got wet. All connections degrade over time.

Edited by ReconRat

To answer a bunch of the questions in one go.  

-Already own my modem and have for some time.  Currently have 2 SB6141s in my house since they insisted that it was the issue. 

-I only have TWC internet and there are no splitters on the line

-Connectors have been checked and rechecked and replaced

-My buddy (used to work Tier III) saw the Upstream SNR and showed me how as well and was the one that alerted me to the issue originally.  TWC confirmed the first TIII call I made, the second and third calls "didnt see the issue"

-They will not allow me (and buddy confirmed) to talk to engineering, dispatch or TechOps.

I had a simular problem for about a year maybe 3 years ago. Went though all the same, try this try that. Ended up being somthing at the distribution point at a intersection about a mile down the road. Took them forever to find it and I was the only one on that line so it wasn't a priority.

This is the issue, no one else is complaining so they don't care enough.  

-Just to note this, i moved into the house Dec 2013, line was ran from the node at that time (which is in my backyard)

I appreciate all of the input on this.  Anyone have any idea why the issue would go away after bumping the speed up from 15/1 to 30/5?  That is what is really confusing me at the moment.

Worst case is you could get one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signal-Booster-1-Port-Amplifier/dp/B003T2RY7I

It might cause issues with neighbors on the same line but it's a temporary fix to your issue.

Short video of upstream S/N or power level issue on COMCAST but same problem could exist on any carrier....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxarSx0rQ9M

Had the same issues. I cancelled twc everything. Cable, phone and internet. Took all the boxes in dropped them on the desk and told them their service sucked. Called a few other providers to get internet only. A disaster in itself. Had no choice but to go back to twc. (Other providers didn't service my area) Got internet only with them now and the connection is flawless. No disconnects or anything. I usually had to restart my router 3-4 times within an hr timespan of being on the inter web.

File a complaint on the PUCO website, I assure you it will light a fire under their arse.

Had to go this route twice, once with TWC and once with ATT. Both instances I had a call from them very quickly and technicians were dispatched same day.

If you use your home internet connection for work related items make sure you add that to your complaint.

Edited by whaler

I know this is not the greatest option but I played their "It's your modem" game in reverse with them and eventually got the problem fixed.  I always owned my own modem also and they kept telling me it was my equipment.  I replaced it once as a good will purchase but the drops and slowdowns/crashes continued.  I agreed to rent their modem and had it sent to the house.  I won the bet because even with their equipment it continued to perform poorly.  I would call them once a week and request a new warranty modem to be sent to the house as quote "you must have sent me a faulty modem".  After 3 weeks they refused to send me another one because it was obviously not a modem issue.  I agreed with their new findings and told them to get their lines fixed and I promptly sent their rental modem back to them and got a refund of my three months modem rental.  They came out to my house and replaced every piece of exposed coax and even replaced the buried drop line in my backyard.  Even that gave no results, they eventually replaced the cabinet in the back yard and that has solved the issue for going on 2 years now.

I'm having issues currently. I have TWC with their 50/5 service. Mine is just inconsistent as can be. I'll run a speed test on the XBONE and doing 4 test in 4 mines will get me test of any where from 64 DL to 13 DL. My upload stays consistent between 5-6. I have reset stuff and shut off all other devices and my XBONE is wired. 

File a complaint on the PUCO website, I assure you it will light a fire under their arse.

Had to go this route twice, once with TWC and once with ATT. Both instances I had a call from them very quickly and technicians were dispatched same day.

If you use your home internet connection for work related items make sure you add that to your complaint.

I know this is not the greatest option but I played their "It's your modem" game in reverse with them and eventually got the problem fixed.  I always owned my own modem also and they kept telling me it was my equipment.  I replaced it once as a good will purchase but the drops and slowdowns/crashes continued.  I agreed to rent their modem and had it sent to the house.  I won the bet because even with their equipment it continued to perform poorly.  I would call them once a week and request a new warranty modem to be sent to the house as quote "you must have sent me a faulty modem".  After 3 weeks they refused to send me another one because it was obviously not a modem issue.  I agreed with their new findings and told them to get their lines fixed and I promptly sent their rental modem back to them and got a refund of my three months modem rental.  They came out to my house and replaced every piece of exposed coax and even replaced the buried drop line in my backyard.  Even that gave no results, they eventually replaced the cabinet in the back yard and that has solved the issue for going on 2 years now.

I like the way both of you think.  

The in home tech is coming to the house today, I explained everything to him and he seemed willing to help out with getting the line techs out.  Funny thing is, the speed bump is helping with the T3 issue frequency but the modem still logged 2 yesterday when I wasn't home.

If they keep playing this game I will file a complaint for sure.  I may file one anyways.

I'm having issues currently. I have TWC with their 50/5 service. Mine is just inconsistent as can be. I'll run a speed test on the XBONE and doing 4 test in 4 mines will get me test of any where from 64 DL to 13 DL. My upload stays consistent between 5-6. I have reset stuff and shut off all other devices and my XBONE is wired. 

Same checks go for you as well bucko.  Any splitters before the modem? What does your S/Ns look like in your modem? Logs from modem? What time of day are you running the speed tests?

Little update here.  Tech came out over a week ago, naturally everything was GTG...well fast forward to this weekend and last night...Still having timeouts (T3 and T4) so I called into customer service and the Tier I in the Philippines flat out refused to get me to Tier II 4 TIMES!  After i finally got through to them it seems like they finally have an idea of what it is, the drop line from the node to my house.  Not sure why the previous 2 techs did not catch this and why the other tier II guys did not bother looking into it either.  This time I am making sure that I am home (wife was last 2).

Kicker was between 9-1030 last night the modem was rebooting constantly and would only give me 2-10mbps d/l and 1-4mbps u/l.  I have no idea why I have to go through all of this grief just to get my services fixed.  If they would have taken the time to investigate and fix the problem correctly the first time it would have saved them money in the long run.

I do need an opinion though, I feel like getting a 12 month discount for my current level of service (30/5) for the price of my old level 15/1 for $34.99 that i was paying is reasonable.  Thoughts?

Update:

Same tech was out at the house from the previous call, and he was sympathetic.  Went through every connection (tap, house direct to modem) and found once again things looked just fine.  UNTIL he disconnected my drop from the tap and found that he could read one of my neighbors modems on my line!  This feedback from what i understand should be caught by the node and generate a service call but it didn't.  Overall a rare occurrence, but said it is definitely what is causing the noise on my line and why it varies over the course of the day.

Naturally he cannot do anything about it, but said he put a Customer Impacting call to Maintenance and they will be out within 24 hrs.

Couple thoughts on my end:

1 - i was right

2 - i was right

3 - why did the previous 2 calls miss this?

4 - why did i get so much hassle from TWC to add up to 3 months worth of calls?

5 - It is hilarious that they were still suggesting it was my modem or my router (hahaha)

We will see if it actually gets fixed.

Couple thoughts on my end:

1 - i was right

2 - i was right

3 - why did the previous 2 calls miss this?

4 - why did i get so much hassle from TWC to add up to 3 months worth of calls?

5 - It is hilarious that they were still suggesting it was my modem or my router (hahaha)

This should about explain items 2-3.

http://consumerist.com/2015/06/02/time-warner-cable-has-lowest-customer-satisfaction-score-of-all-u-s-companies-not-just-cable-providers/

This is why if after first call they do not fix the problem file a complaint with PUCO. If you have to call them again (usually they call you after a complaint is filed), let them know you files a complaint and you will go directly to management and they will fix your problem.

They suck because they can...don't let them treat you like shit!