Cutting the cord Or "The Dish bill is too damn high!"

Wojo72

I am looking to give Dish the boot.  My wife is technically challenged and so using multiple apps on an Android device and hitting "input" to switch between sources causes me to catch grief.  Have any of you found a platform that brings all of the input sources together.  I was looking at the Tivo Roamio but they want $15/mth for the guide updates.   Chromecast/Roku/Amazon don't do OTA.   Building a multimedia PC kind of hurts the financial argument for dropping cable.   Is there anything I am missing?   Maybe a higher end universal remote?

TL;DR

How can I cut the cord and have a system that a short bus participant can use without finger paints and power point slides?

Logitech harmony 650 remote. Controls the TV, sound bar, apple tv, blu ray player and the roku. Set it so that we can hit 1 button and it will put everything on the correct setting to watch

We cut the cord giving it a shot when we moved to save some $ and very glad I did. Wife isn't as thrilled about it and we shall see if I keep this attitude come basketball season

Edited by Bad324

Logitech harmony 650 remote. Controls the TV, sound bar, apple tv, blu ray player and the roku. Set it so that we can hit 1 button and it will put everything on the correct setting to watch

We cut the cord giving it a shot when we moved to save some $ and very glad I did. Wife isn't as thrilled about it and we shall see if I keep this attitude come basketball season

In my case I have to add cable service each year from Nov-end of March Madness as the wife is a crazy UK fan.  She has actually learned how to do most things to watch what she wants to watch.  Necessity is a good motivator.  It was either she did it or didn't watch it. 

I am looking to give Dish the boot.  My wife is technically challenged and so using multiple apps on an Android device and hitting "input" to switch between sources causes me to catch grief.  

My wife was the same story. I just cut the cord, and it's amazing the desire to watch the tube...they'll find a way...even changing inputs on the tv, it's stunning to watch in person.

Just do it, show them once, they will ask the next time, and they WILL get it, or they don't get to watch!

I'm in the middle of figuring out the same exact thing right now.  I'm pretty close to deciding on a Raspberry Pi to run Kodi (XBMC) that all the Android boxes run, and to connect to a plex server for some content that I have access to there.  Find someone that has a decent library running on a plex server, and you'll be set!

I'm looking for a quick ROI.  By the time I spend $X building a media PC and buy streaming devices for each TV it can take me a year to break even vs switching Cable/Sat providers.

Why does building an HTPC ruin the financial argument?  

• Upvote 1

Get WOW if youre in Cbus.  Shit, just cut our internet by 2/3 and sped up the speed by 2.5X over ATT.  Hell I could add Cable and be paying what ATT charges.  Totally bogus shit from ATT.

If you do, please PM me and use me as a referall I get 25.00 credit.  I have it, parents just got it, they actually had DISH in mansfield and hated it.  Just a heads up.

But yeah, WOW is by far the cheapest, and I can't say what I think about cable, we've only had their NET 2 weeks but its flying all the time.