No more Indy MotoGP?

DAC

Indy is a great venue to watch the race but it is too big a venue for the audience MotoGP or F1 (back in the day) attracts to be financially feasible and put a good product on TV. The last thing sponsors want to see if a bunch of empty seats on a TV screen. With no significant American presence in either series (no offense to Nicki) it's a hard product to sell in a NASCAR bubby nation. It will suck if Indy is indeed dropped. I have enjoyed the weekend each of the 8 years.

My thoughts exactly. I wish Indy had been more fortuitous so we'd have a semi-local track to watch some of the best riders on the planet. The idea of having to fly to get to a GP race just sucks. If I have to fly to watch a race, I may as well go balls deep and head to most any of the other races off of this continent.

Indy had 140000 spectators over the weekend, this is inline with most tracks in Europe, with the exception of a few. Indy looked empty because it can seat 400000 in stands not counting the infield.

I heard 68,000 over the loud speaker and according to the net the Indy can hold  257,000

I thought parking was fine. We were even able to run out to the car at one point to grab the cooler and drop off the back pack. That was super nice to be able to do. 

Edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5

I heard 68,000 over the loud speaker and according to the net the Indy can hold 257,000

I thought parking was fine. We were even able to run out to the car at one point to grab the cooler and drop off the back pack. That was super nice to be able to do.

68 on race day

• 3 weeks later...

And it's official. Received this e-mail over night..Sucks to see this as all 8 years were incredibly fun weekends..

MOTOGP WILL NOT RETURN IN 2016

Following eight years of delivering world class motorcycle racing, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix will not be on the 2016 event schedule for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The award winning MotoGP event was first hosted at IMS in partnership with Dorna Sports in September of 2008. The cancellation of the race was a mutual decision by both parties.

“This outcome reflects the best interests of both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Dorna Sports,” said J. Douglas Boles, President of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “We are proud of our efforts to increase attendance in recent years and successfully host a truly international sporting and cultural event. We’re also thankful to Dorna Sports for its strong support and partnership since 2008. However, the timing is right to pursue other opportunities that drive greater revenue for both the Speedway and our Central Indiana economy.”

In 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix earned recognition from Dorna as the “Best Grand Prix” of the 2014 season, becoming the first North American race to earn this honor. The redesigned and improved IMS road course, as well as supporting events such as Motorcycles on Meridian helped secure this recognition.

However, following the removal of the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca from the MogoGP schedule in 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix became the only summer MotoGP event in North America for the last two seasons. This caused both financial and logistical challenges that no longer made the event viable for the foreseeable future. Ultimately, removing the Indianapolis race became key to Dorna’s efforts to expand both the number of events it hosts and the geographic diversity of its schedule.

“Bringing MotoGP to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been a tremendously rewarding experience,” said Dorna Sports Chief Executive Officer Carmelo Ezpeleta. “The historic track, professional staff and welcoming host community produced an annual event that was enjoyed by all. While both sides recognize it’s the right time to pause this relationship, the door is not closed on future collaborations together should current circumstances change.”

This is puzzling.  COTA is an amazing facility.  World class track and infrastructure.  However, the attendance is shit.  Falls each year and the track hasn't made a profit since it has opened.  The track is better though and really must be the draw.  Indy has an amazing center of activity in comparison.  More accessible, easier to get in and out, logistically, a better location and gets the attendance and increases each year.  The track is not a great thing, though...

My confusion is why they would drop Indy vs. COTA.  Indy is a profit center for the race org.  They certainly net better returns there than at COTA.  The history lends itself to be a prestigious event.  The access by population is easier.  It has a better draw for entertainment.  I just don't see that if they think it is too late or that the US doesn't need two rounds, why drop it and not COTA?  Laguna had similar issues where it lacked the attendance (WSBK is a joke in terms of attendance) and is horrible as far as in and out, what to do around there, etc.  But it is CA and the access to the OEMs, stars, population, etc is higher.  But they axed it and yet COTA seemingly sharing a lot of the negatives outside the glorious facility is still around...

I understand why they do not do back to back on the basis of transporting and logistics for everyone as they transport everything in cabbage cases.  But everyone has an OEM headquarters in the US and could access the transportation abilities of semi trucks, etc easily.  Yamaha can access their show rigs to transport I am sure, Aprilia, Ducati, etc., etc...

Seems odd.  Accolades and increases in attendance and almost double of the other track and yet you get dropped...  I think it may lie more in the marketing and support COTA has vs Indy...

Also, the US is typically the largest location for retail sales for each manufacturer and I would think that the OEMs would push for two rounds to be here.  The teams, riders and manufacturers love it here and to access the potential exposure for each brand is higher.  Seems really odd.  I think that maybe Indy wasn't too upset and really didn't care one way or another and didn't fight to retain it as much.  They can get a bigger return I bet on car races there.  Opens up for a lot of series in road race configuration.  Probably Indy cars twice and even NASCAR twice.  Those attendance figures alone would probably double that of MotoGP and they'd net a bigger return.  So for them, they probably said "Bummer, but no worries.  Good luck" when approached...

I think that maybe Indy wasn't too upset and really didn't care one way or another and didn't fight to retain it as much.  They can get a bigger return I bet on car races there.  Opens up for a lot of series in road race configuration.  Probably Indy cars twice and even NASCAR twice.

2 quotes from IMS President Doug Boles shows you are spot on "the IMS fan base has shown to be “four-wheel rather than two-wheel.”

and “It’s no secret we continue to be interested in a proper endurance race, and there are options". I think that fact that the cost to open up the Speedway being so big due to the size of the place relative to the small number of patrons for the GP weekend was a big factor. IMO this was all on IMS saying thanks but no thanks. Dorna covers most of their costs with the sanctioning fee it charges the track to host the event. I'm not sure any of the automotive endurance series are going to have an interest in running 6+ hours on a flat track like Indy.

This is puzzling.  COTA is an amazing facility.  World class track and infrastructure.  However, the attendance is shit.  Falls each year and the track hasn't made a profit since it has opened.  The track is better though and really must be the draw.  Indy has an amazing center of activity in comparison.  More accessible, easier to get in and out, logistically, a better location and gets the attendance and increases each year.  The track is not a great thing, though...

My confusion is why they would drop Indy vs. COTA.  Indy is a profit center for the race org.  They certainly net better returns there than at COTA.  The history lends itself to be a prestigious event.  The access by population is easier.  It has a better draw for entertainment.  I just don't see that if they think it is too late or that the US doesn't need two rounds, why drop it and not COTA?  Laguna had similar issues where it lacked the attendance (WSBK is a joke in terms of attendance) and is horrible as far as in and out, what to do around there, etc.  But it is CA and the access to the OEMs, stars, population, etc is higher.  But they axed it and yet COTA seemingly sharing a lot of the negatives outside the glorious facility is still around...

I understand why they do not do back to back on the basis of transporting and logistics for everyone as they transport everything in cabbage cases.  But everyone has an OEM headquarters in the US and could access the transportation abilities of semi trucks, etc easily.  Yamaha can access their show rigs to transport I am sure, Aprilia, Ducati, etc., etc...

Seems odd.  Accolades and increases in attendance and almost double of the other track and yet you get dropped...  I think it may lie more in the marketing and support COTA has vs Indy...

I agree.  I was at COTA this year for MotoGP and it was empty compared to when I went for F1.  I don't think I will be going back to COTA.  Just too much of a PITA.