12 O'Clock Boys (the movie) review.

sturg

The movie follows Pug, a young boy who lives in the ghetto's of Baltimore with his family, for 3 years. Initially he seems like a normal kid who is captivated by the up and coming 12 O'Clock Boys; an urban, wheelie riding dirt-bike group that is quickly gaining international attention. As he progresses into his teenage years Pug's focus on motorcycles starts to trumps other responsibilities like education and anger management. Additionally the plot follows a chronological time frame which clearly showcases the growing tensions in the urban environment between the people who live there and the Baltimore City Police. The movie ends in 2013, a year before the Baltimore city riots.   

It's easy to write these guys off as law breaking thugs but the film left me with multiple complex feeling. On one hand I felt that this is a great example of humanization and how love and passion for motorcycle riding is universal. Regardless of socio-economic stature motorcycle riding is about freedom and the ability to temporally decompress and forget the stressors of life we all experience. It's also abundantly clear that those featured in the film are continuously aware that people die violent deaths at young ages and and they could be next. They seem to use this to justify their riding and actions. 

On the other hand I was left astonishment.  The brazen and lawless acts some of the motorcycle riders commit during their group rides is unlike anything I've seen before.  Baltimore city PD takes an official policy of not engaging in chases with these illegal motorcycle riders. The riders take full advantage of this by provoking squad cars and blatantly riding past police head quarters. "Fuck the police" is not just a phrase but way of life.

The full video is available on youtube but only in 240p. I'd recommend anyone who is interested in the full film to buy it and download it. Not only will it support the director but the only way to watch this is in HD. http://www.12oclockboys.com/

NWS for language....just watch with headphones if you're concerned. 

Edited by sturg