Reason to check the date codes on your tires

Gump

Looked brand new, zero cracks in tread or sidewall air pressure was correct. I'm guessing it was the hot cold scenario as it blew after rain to dry. Average speed was 70. It blew the belts out in the center of the tread. First time I've had this happen and I've hauled on some really terrible looking tires.

post-9795-0-84403100-1441548683_thumb.jp

Typically, a tread separation wannabe will be ok at 70mph, barely. Run it up to 80mph and boom it goes.

I've had it happen, and yes, it would usually be an older tire, regardless of the visible condition.

Did it have any bouncy thump before it gave up?

edit: Some pics have an embedded code that says which way is up. I usually turn it off if it acts up. Either in the camera or in the pic after. Haven't seen that happen for years.

Edited by ReconRat

And in case anyone doesn't know how to read date codes - last 4 digits of the DOT code are the week it was made in the year it was made. Example: 1215 for the last 4 digits would be the 12th week of 2015. Little extra info: the first 2 digits (actually letters) are where the tires were made. Only buy tires that start with BF. Thanks!

regardless of the date because I've seen thousands of tires over 6 or 7 years old that are just fine.  that tire was not rated for the speed you were running or the weight you had on the trailer.  it over heated.

and judging by the sidewall lettering looks a lot like a spare not a trailer tire.  

Edited by serpentracer

Were they of Chinese origin?  I bought a high-end Haulmark box trailer several years ago that was equipped with crap Chinese tires.  Rating on the sidewalls was plenty for the application, were only 3 years old with less than 5000 miles of wear, and kept tire covers on them to minimize UV exposure.  Used it to haul 3 dirt bikes and gear to CO for a 3 week trip.  Tandem 3500# axles, MT weight of 2350#, and certainly less than 2000# of bikes and gear, so WAY under the GAWR.  On the way home, two of the tires experienced cord separations....didn't delam like yours but the tires were so out of round that the trailer bounced the back end of the truck at speeds over 50 MPH.  I replaced all 4 with US brand and kept one of the Chinese tires as a spare.  Also went thru the hubs at the same time and replaced the Chinese tapered roller bearings with Timken for peace of mind.

regardless of the date because I've seen thousands of tires over 6 or 7 years old that are just fine. that tire was not rated for the speed you were running or the weight you had on the trailer. it over heated.

and judging by the sidewall lettering looks a lot like a spare not a trailer tire.

They're legit matching radial trailer tires. I agree on the age thing at least till now. I've never had this type of blow out.

Were they of Chinese origin? I bought a high-end Haulmark box trailer several years ago that was equipped with crap Chinese tires. Rating on the sidewalls was plenty for the application, were only 3 years old with less than 5000 miles of wear, and kept tire covers on them to minimize UV exposure. Used it to haul 3 dirt bikes and gear to CO for a 3 week trip. Tandem 3500# axles, MT weight of 2350#, and certainly less than 2000# of bikes and gear, so WAY under the GAWR. On the way home, two of the tires experienced cord separations....didn't delam like yours but the tires were so out of round that the trailer bounced the back end of the truck at speeds over 50 MPH. I replaced all 4 with US brand and kept one of the Chinese tires as a spare. Also went thru the hubs at the same time and replaced the Chinese tapered roller bearings with Timken for peace of mind.

Were they of Chinese origin? I bought a high-end Haulmark box trailer several years ago that was equipped with crap Chinese tires. Rating on the sidewalls was plenty for the application, were only 3 years old with less than 5000 miles of wear, and kept tire covers on them to minimize UV exposure. Used it to haul 3 dirt bikes and gear to CO for a 3 week trip. Tandem 3500# axles, MT weight of 2350#, and certainly less than 2000# of bikes and gear, so WAY under the GAWR. On the way home, two of the tires experienced cord separations....didn't delam like yours but the tires were so out of round that the trailer bounced the back end of the truck at speeds over 50 MPH. I replaced all 4 with US brand and kept one of the Chinese tires as a spare. Also went thru the hubs at the same time and replaced the Chinese tapered roller bearings with Timken for peace of mind.

I'll have to look. They're 1760# tires hauling a 1979 Correct Cradt Ski Tique. Weight isn't a factor. I'm guessing they're old as heck since it' was always stored inside and is what came with the boat. The rip is about center of the tread and went almost to the sidewall but not past the treaded area. The steel belts look all mangled. I bought some TSC radials with wheels and replaced them both to get moving again. Damn it, ST is apparently 65 mph rated. Who drives 65mph any more? Double damn it, the TSC Tires are also ST rated I think. They shouldn't be able to make a trailer tire not rated for less than 85. Live and learn, next time it'll be a LT tire. According to opinions on RV forums it's the way to go for a realistically speed rated tire for a trailer. I don't want to be "that guy" in the right lane with his cruise set to 65 in a friggin 70.

post-9795-0-04214400-1441635323_thumb.jp

Edited by Gump

They're legit matching radial trailer tires. I agree on the age thing at least till now. I've never had this type of blow out.

In my mind i would assume it was just a bad tire period. it happens.

But it reminds us that there is alot more to tire design than what appears on the surface

Edited by serpentracer