Is geico advertising really that smart?

Josh1234

So, there I am, reading an article on Google's new logo/font change, and a Geico ad comes up:

post-13328-0-60207800-1441812769_thumb.j

And lo and behold, that's an NC700X in the ad, and it's even the same color as mine.  Is that targeted at me because they know I've done searches and stuff, or is that simply the bike Geico used in their ad?  

There are companies that aggregate your data from all over the place (online, shopping habits on your credit cards, what you buy, where you buy it and even what you own) and sell it to advertisers. This is why people don't like google and Facebook :p

One of my clients is a company that does this. In a meeting earlier this year their president/CEO said "nobody knows who we are and we like it that way. We're the people behind the curtain. We are the creepy people that take all your data."

Sleep tight. 

• Upvote 2

I'd be surprised if they targeted the type and color of bike you have - but the blue triangle in to top corner tells me that's a targeted ad.  Motorcycle-related searches, etc.

You can opt out of (some) targeted ads here:  http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/

You'll still get ads, it'll just be for stuff you probably don't care about.   adblock plus is your friend.  And Ghostery.

Edited by Scruit

I enjoy this targeted advertising stuff. The pc I rarely use has some of the weirdest ads. Think 15yr old girl, meets 12yr old boy, meets wife that hunts up values for everything to be sold. Gets a little odd. My Facebook gets strange also but is mostly a bunch of randomness.

They're not as smart as me yet, I get ads for things I just bought a few days before. I think creepy is a better word than smart for them. How many colors did NC700's even come in?

2, I think.

I could understand that the data-gatherers know I have an NC700X.  That's not too much of a stretch....

But do you think that Geico actually has lots of little animations of the guy riding into the frame on different bikes?

2, I think.

I could understand that the data-gatherers know I have an NC700X.  That's not too much of a stretch....

But do you think that Geico actually has lots of little animations of the guy riding into the frame on different bikes?

if it's actual video, no. if it's a composited animation, yes.