Help me find bicycles

Bad324

I desperately need a nice weather hobby that I can do with the wife that includes some exercise that she would like. Thus I have figured bicycling the thing to do. Problem is I know little to nothing about them so I need some suggestions.

Just looking for a set of inexpensive starter bikes for leisurely rides in our neighborhood, the towpath and maybe extremely light dirt trails in the metroparks.

Another plus for her would be a bike that can have one of those cargo racks that a small cooler can be strapped to. Have no idea if that can be done to any bike or only certain styles, this is how clueless I am.

Also, what sort of seat should my rather big ass be looking for to be the least uncomfortable?

So what in the world should I be looking for?

Go to Eddies in Stow. Huge selection, very honest people and they know way more than even Pauly thinks he does.

hmm was planning on dinner in hudson tonight so maybe I'll swing by

edit: i lied....$500 was the cheapest bike I saw. Not quite to that point yet

Edited by Bad324

There are a shit ton of bikes on c/list. Hybrid or mountain bike. I would not go with a skinny tire road bike to start. You can always upgrade if the bug bites you. You will have less invested in better quality used than new big box china crap. Toss some of what you find up here and guys that have some knowledge I'm sure will give you good advice. I miss riding but my arthritis won't let me put the miles in. Aluminum wheels,stainless spokes and name brand components are a few things to look for. No need to go all Greg LeMond starting out. A Chevelle with a 250 six and one with a 454 are basically the same car. It's the engine that makes the difference. As Pauly found out it can be addicting as hell and a life changer. It was for me back in the day.

Picked up a diamondback hybrid (serene) for my mom's birthday last year, was 200ish at dunhams on sale.

60psi tires, fairly upright riding position, makes it comfy and smooth for leisurely road use, and not completely useless in the dirt.

Edited by magley64

Looks like I'll be cruising CL then, was trying to nab two entry level bikes for like $300.

I just don't want to spend a lot up front because my wife is a woman and she says she wants to make it a new hobby but I've heard that before and it never happened and i wasted money that could have gone in to one of MY hobbies

Stay away from big box store brands.  Look for recognized names like Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized, etc.  These brands can have older yet decent shape used bikes via C/L as mentioned.  If you are riding paved paths and roads, just get a hybrid as mentioned or even a cruiser.  No need for fancy MTB or road race styles.  However, there are a few HT MTB bikes out there for the cheap and slap on some skinny street tires and have at it.  Then, when you decide you want to have fun at somewhere like Alum locally, slap the MTB knobs on and take a tour of the paths around here.

MTB for me is one of the most awesome things I have done.  I suck at it and while I appreciate bicycles like motorcycles, it is a sport that for whatever reason compels me to push harder and harder and I feel great afterwards.

I've got an older mid line Specialized mountain bike that's got on year old fat hybrid tires with year old tubes. I rode it from Ira Rd to Treemont on several occasions and it's very comfy.

300 if you want it

Edited by zx3vfr

• 2 weeks later...

so I ended up winning a cheap Schwinn Network 3.0 700C Hybrid in an auction. Picking it up tonight so hopefully it checks out to what they said because I couldn't pass it up for $50

13.JPG

Edited by Bad324

Stay away from big box store brands. Look for recognized names like Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized, etc.

For sure. I've had three Wal-Mart Bikes and the rear hub went bad on all three. Schwinn and Mongoose were good before Pacific Cycle bought both manufacturers and started making the Bikes cheaper to get down to a price point that is viable for Wal-Mart to sell both brands. Edited by r6Brent71