Happy to be alive

GixxerTravis

• 1 month later...

WARNING: THIS IS A VERY GRAPHIC POST, PLEASE READ BEFORE VIEWING PICTURES!!!
This is going to be a very hard post for me. I think it's time to release these pictures of me after the first 6 hours of hundreds of hours of surgery for the public to see. 

The only reason I'm alive today is because of my helmet. A very good helmet. Please don't put your family in this position.  My family and friends had the worst day of most of their lives July 28th, 2015. Remember to keep your emergency contact info updated and in your wallet/purse. Don't take riding gear as a joke. You're wearing it for the one time you need it. 

-Every time I see a biker not wearing a helmet, I get sick to my stomach. 
-When I hear loud noises I jump. 
-I have night terrors every single night.
-I've been diagnosed with PTSD. 
-I have friends who don't even ride motorcycles anymore after seeing me in the hospital trying not to die. 
-I cannot hold a pen/pencil because I had a stroke and lost motor skills. 
-I had a body part amputated. 
-I have hundreds of scars.
-I had hundreds of broken bones. 
-I had open compound fractures that they couldn't even work on because of my brain trauma.
-I DIED and was revived three times.... 
-I regularly have seizures. 
-I had to relearn how to eat, drink, breathe, move hands, walk...

And the thing is.............
I was lucky. 

I will never be the same.

Pictures to follow 

Damn, man.  Traumatic doesn't even begin to cover your experience.   Hopefully you keep improving more and more.   Here's to hope that you eventually get to a point in life that's as near to normal as possible; not only for your sake, but also for that of your child's.   Chin up sir, and trudge on -- you've survived what a lot of others would not.

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 1

Travis, thank you for the update and sharing your story. I hope others learn from what you went through and wear gear. Stay strong, if you need us just call or txt. You have hellmutt number.