130mph vs radio

ReconRat

Don't forget that a lot of the newer OSHP cars have those forward facing license plate scanners. If he had been sitting in the right direction on the side of the freeway, he'd have gotten some of the plate numbers on the bikes before he even moved. It scans really quick, but don't know how well it would do with a group at those speeds. And he only has to pursue long enough to get a lock on the plate, and they can just go to your house and wait.

Don't forget that a lot of the newer OSHP cars have those forward facing license plate scanners. If he had been sitting in the right direction on the side of the freeway, he'd have gotten some of the plate numbers on the bikes before he even moved. It scans really quick, but don't know how well it would do with a group at those speeds. And he only has to pursue long enough to get a lock on the plate, and they can just go to your house and wait.

License plate readers don't actively scan plates that aren't listed in a hot file. Meaning they are only scanning plates that have an active want/warrant.

Sort of true. They still have to catch the right person on the bike. Reasonable doubt and all that. I have 2 people with M endorsements under my roof.

Good point...

edit: Just remembered that in Canada and Great Britain they would just take the vehicle anyway, regardless of who the operator was. Anyone remember when California dealt with street racing by taking the cars and crushing them?

Edited by ReconRat

License plate readers don't actively scan plates that aren't listed in a hot file. Meaning they are only scanning plates that have an active want/warrant.

Sort of true. It has to scan the plate to see if it's in the hot file. Whether it keeps the data, I don't know.

There are unmanned plate scanners on freeway or choke point locations that record continuously. I suspect those keep data.

I have seen unmarked scanner vehicles cruising through parking lots checking or recording all plates. Probably DHS.

I have also seen a portable scanner setup after an fatal accident, to look for the guilty party passing by later.

(It had an unmarked vehicle standing by to keep the gear from being stolen.)

And there are radiation detectors up and  down the I-95 corridor on the East Coast. Those use cameras also.

Not even counting speed ticket cameras...

Back in the 1990s, the FBI admitted access to an average 60 some cameras recording a typical commuter's drive into work in the morning. Banks, gas stations, parking lots, etc.

It's a different world we live in... smile for the camera

Sort of true. It has to scan the plate to see if it's in the hot file. Whether it keeps the data, I don't know.

There are unmanned plate scanners on freeway or choke point locations that record continuously. I suspect those keep data.

I have seen unmarked scanner vehicles cruising through parking lots checking or recording all plates. Probably DHS.

I have also seen a portable scanner setup after an fatal accident, to look for the guilty party passing by later.

And there are radiation detectors up and down the I-95 corridor on the East Coast. Those use cameras also.

Back in the 1990s, the FBI admitted access to an average 60 some cameras recording a typical commuter's drive into work in the morning. Banks, gas stations, parking lots, etc.

Let me clarify. Yes they scan alot. However, they do not run and or store information on every tag they scan.

The reader should only "hit" or return a message based on the hot files already entered in a state database.

It would be a misuse of LEADS for the plate reader to query every tag it scanned because there is not an active investigation.

As far as recording goes, all scanners that scan and return plate data is recorded by an audit log. That audit log must be kept by the department for 72 months. Again, the scanner should only hit on active investigation info.

And there are radiation detectors up and  down the I-95 corridor on the East Coast. Those use cameras also.

Be mindful, but don't get too paranoid. 

I am continually shocked by the number of establishments that don't have security cameras, and the lack of quality images, or insufficient number of angles when there is footage. 

The FBI probably has access to channels I'm not aware of through local law enforcement, but unless you're on some kind of terror watch-list, I really don't think any state-level agencies have the ability to pool resources and "hack" into systems remotely to pull data.  Hell, most of the surveillance footage I review isn't even accessible via the internet - it's a local network, but hard-wired closed-circuit setup.  Even places that do have networked cameras aren't always recording.   Many places record over their data within a few days, unless there is a break-in that they want to report. 

So maybe you ARE on camera a lot, but 99.99% of the time, it's not going to be viewed by anyone, and the recording won't be preserved for more than a few days; 30 days at the absolute most.  There will be exceptions for people who take security seriously, but doing so is expensive.

I am continually shocked by the number of establishments that don't have security cameras, and the lack of quality images, or insufficient number of angles when there is footage. 

... or the camera is out of focus, pointed in a stupid direction, covered in dust, blinded by the sun reflecting via a puddle or car windshield, or they are still using the same tape they put in in the 70s and it can't hold an image any more, or they ran out of disk space, or their motion detection is set up wrong so they have either no video or the video is at a "static scene" framerate of 1fps, or its a PTZ on autopatrol that is looking the wrong way, or the defense is able to make a strong chain-of-custody claim because the CCTV owner innocently used some goofy process to get the video to court...   Should I stop now?

BUT...  You never know.  Hopeless cases have been solved by a single frame on a camera you never knew was there (ATM camera, house across the street with a private CCTV, passing car with dashcam)

All correct. It's all need for data based. I meant only that it is out there, if the effort is taken to try and find it. Camera data is only good for a few days, and public and private cameras have to be accessed in person, on foot, door to door. Expensive to do, and only done for certain investigations. I suspect the general public reviews their own data and offers it.

Co-worker was home during the day in an area that was having some one take packages from the front doors. He has cameras. The motion detection goes off, and he opens his front door to find a woman trying to take his delivery. She gives a wrong address excuse, and he tells her about the camera and points to it. She looks right at the camera. Local PD was very happy to get that video.

Edited by ReconRat

Here's what everyone is forgetting let's...say an SHO does the 0-60 in 5.5-6.0, 1/4: in like 13.5-14.0 sec and a bike can do 0-60in 3.5-4.0, 1/4: in 11-12 life the bike can get traction on public roads!)...realistically the dude on the bike isn't that far ahead. I've raced at the 1/4 a good amount and the difference between a 11.0 and 14.0 isn't that dramatic IMO, maybe what a few hundred feet ahead or so? I know bikes and vehicles being used can vary in regards 2 acceleration but still.

double thumbin' it!