130mph vs radio

ReconRat

News from Youngstown, Wednesday morning 1:40am.

Of course, routing the ride past an OSHP with a crowd of high speed bikes didn't help any.

Notes:

Slowest bike is the one that gets targeted.

I-680 & I-80 probably isn't the wisest place to be over the speed limit right now.

Man arraigned for high speed motorcycle chase

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/sep/24/man-arraigned-in-high-speed-motorcycle-c/

Edited by ReconRat

So r we saying some of the riders in the group ride r from this forum ;-)? Funny thing about cruisers is the Taurus SHO or the Dodge Charger w the 5.7 v8 r a far cry from the days of Ford Crown Vic and would keep up with a bike lol

double thumbin' it!

Edited by silentcropduster

So r we saying some of the riders in the group ride r from this forum ;-)? Funny thing about cruisers is the Taurus SHO or the Dodge Charger w the 5.7 v8 r a far cry from the days of Ford Crown Vic and would keep up with a bike lol

double thumbin' it!

The Chargers and the Taurus SHO are definitely quicker than the Crown Vic (although the police interceptors were geared for decent acceleration), but I don't think they'd hold a candle to any reasonably sporty motorcycle - at least not under acceleration.  They might keep pace with a 650 on the top-end, but from 0-100+, the bike should destroy any police vehicle. 

running from the cops is incredibly stupid though.   It can quickly escalate to a felony of the third degree.  Not worth it.

The Chargers and the Taurus SHO are definitely quicker than the Crown Vic (although the police interceptors were geared for decent acceleration), but I don't think they'd hold a candle to any reasonably sporty motorcycle - at least not under acceleration. They might keep pace with a 650 on the top-end, but from 0-100+, the bike should destroy any police vehicle.

running from the cops is incredibly stupid though. It can quickly escalate to a felony of the third degree. Not worth it.

That's what I was thinking.

Good quick read on the Ford "Police Interceptor" (they hate when people call it a Taurus!)

http://www.tactical-life.com/news/ford-interceptor-fastest-acceleration-2014/

It also lists acceleration numbers for the Charger, and something with a 6.0 V8.  I would have to assume that's a Chevy offering, but it might be an SUV...

Regardless, they were bragging about the Ford Police Interceptor pulling 60 mph in 5.8 seconds, and 0-100 in 14.2.  The "utility interceptor" (Explorer) gets to 60 in 6.55 and takes almost 2 more seconds to reach 100 than the Taurus-based car.  Both models are AWD.

What's more interesting, and I think would be really neat to see in the context of this forum, is that the article also claims the Taurus-based police vehicle laps Grattan faster than any other police vehicle from any other manufacturer - but they don't post a time for that :(     I'm really curious to see how the Taurus would stack up against bikes on a race track.  I presume they have qualified drivers for the sake of their testing - the manufacturers want to beat each other, and be able to brag...

Also, i believe these were real-world test times, not magazine numbers where they adjust for wind and all that crap...  With that in mind, the comparison is still pretty dire for the cop cars.

published 0-60 times for my Suzuki are 3.5x.  Let's assume that's with a perfect launch by a pro rider.  I'd still like to think I'd be under 5 seconds...  Not too far ahead of the easy-to-launch AWD automatic the cops have, but then the gap is only going to get wider as I click through 3rd and 4th gears.

I had a pursuit against an Explorer.... I had a 75mph head start and he was still hanging around back there at 150... My cb didn't have the top end to get away from it... I was incredibly shocked at how fast that suv was... Don't believe whatever you're reading about them being slow... It was fast enough that I braked hard to make a 90 degree turn and he came skidding past me... Sure, the bike was much quicker, but you'd need something capable of extreme top end to ditch these things... 1k Supersport, busa, etc

The internet says the Explorer will pull an "estimated" 165 http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/ford/2016-ford-police-interceptor-utility-ar167500.html

I would be surprised if it hit a legitimate 150 though.  Honestly, I am surprised they'll surpass 130, but i would believe it. 

That link has the 2016 updates.  My favorite is that the traction and stability control "know" when you're intentionally trying to execute a "J-turn" and the electronic nannies won't interfere.  That's pretty awesome.

Edited by redkow97

I had a pursuit against an Explorer.... I had a 75mph head start and he was still hanging around back there at 150... My cb didn't have the top end to get away from it... I was incredibly shocked at how fast that suv was... Don't believe whatever you're reading about them being slow... It was fast enough that I braked hard to make a 90 degree turn and he came skidding past me... Sure, the bike was much quicker, but you'd need something capable of extreme top end to ditch these things... 1k Supersport, busa, etc

Isnt your bike a liter? Are the 1000r's that much de-tuned compared to 1000rrs?

yea its a liter bike but it makes power differently....my bike is a hair quicker than a cbr1000rr up to 100mph, but after that the cbr will walk away with ease....my bike has comparable top end to a 600cc supersport (it maxes at 154 indicated)....it makes 125bhp stock, though with my bolt ons and such i should be around 115-120 at the wheel....its a naked bike, its no supersport lol....i just didnt realize how fast the explorers are

Edited by Steve Butters

Pro tip: bring the 1000 on group rides.

That solid advice has always worked well for Punk, Hutch and I

My point exactly, having also been in a "group" like that, way back in the day in Mexico.

Pro Tip #2: When the police begin pursuit, it's every man for himself, and you take your own route. Don't follow someone else!

The internet says the Explorer will pull an "estimated" 165 http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/ford/2016-ford-police-interceptor-utility-ar167500.html

I would be surprised if it hit a legitimate 150 though.  Honestly, I am surprised they'll surpass 130, but i would believe it. 

That link has the 2016 updates.  My favorite is that the traction and stability control "know" when you're intentionally trying to execute a "J-turn" and the electronic nannies won't interfere.  That's pretty awesome.

neither of us knew how fast we were actually going....my bike said 154 indicated and he said the explorer was maxed out at 140 (dash doesnt go higher than 140 i guess) but was still pulling....per our conversation, you can obviously tell i did not successfully evade lol...i ran out of talent in a gravelly turn and ate it at like 10mph....we were in the middle of nowhere on the indian res so i was just lost...bad decision to even try, not knowing the area

They made it useable...No use having a 1000rr motor that doesnt make power until 9k and does 180+mph on a naked bike that will snap your neck doing triple digits....it wasnt built to be a supersport, its built as a fun around town or canyon bike....i wouldnt take the rr motor if it was an option, this bike is hell above 90 mph anyways, so id rather have the power where i can use and feel and enjoy it than up top...no difference than an fz1 vs r1

also, its not "detuned" it's a different motor setup. you cannot simply swap in a 1000rr motor, its not the same motor, its just based off of that motor

Edited by Steve Butters