Chain saws

Gump

I acquired a Stihl one last summer as an inheritance and been itching to use it. The new yard I have a few dead trees and a couple ugly ones I plan to get rid of next year. I've never used a chain saw before so this should be fun

While we're talking about chain sharpening, I would remove yours and have it sharpened. 

I'll bow out of the quality chainsaw discussion, because I rely solely on a crappy Homelite electric.  That said, as crappy as it is, we have successfully used it for a decade, and took down several decent sized trees.    A new (sharp) chain will save you a ton of time, and your saw a lot of stress.  We have 3 chains, counting the original.  just get them all sharpened at the same time, and then hope you only need to use 1.

• Upvote 1

While we're talking about chain sharpening, I would remove yours and have it sharpened. 

I'll bow out of the quality chainsaw discussion, because I rely solely on a crappy Homelite electric.  That said, as crappy as it is, we have successfully used it for a decade, and took down several decent sized trees.    A new (sharp) chain will save you a ton of time, and your saw a lot of stress.  We have 3 chains, counting the original.  just get them all sharpened at the same time, and then hope you only need to use 1.

Over the winter its going to State Sharpening for a tune up and sharpening for $35. And since they know me, he laughed and said he would throw in a free lesson :lol:

Over the winter its going to State Sharpening for a tune up and sharpening for $35. And since they know me, he laughed and said he would throw in a free lesson :lol:

Nice! You do know to mix the gas right?

Getting a complete crash course so I'm sure that would be covered. I feel like a nerd being 30 having never used one before and thus not knowing anything about them but never had a need for one until now

Getting a complete crash course so I'm sure that would be covered. I feel like a nerd being 30 having never used one before and thus not knowing anything about them but never had a need for one until now

You may want to purchase assless chaps.

• Upvote 1

is that the guy at the top of the hill who does mower blades too?  At State and Sprague, or am I thinking of Ridge and Sprague...  Either way, is that the place you're talking about?

IMG_20151110_153058783_zpsjzxrhqwr.jpg

That's this years wood and maybe some of next years, the year after is already stacked in another pile. That short stack is 4 rows deep and over 6 foot high. You can see I have used just about a skids worth so far. That cart full will get me 24 hour worth of heat unless its real cold.

• Upvote 1

I sincerely wonder if wood is cheaper or more expensive than the bill for my natural gas fireplace insert.

if you're like me, its cheaper. Wood is a pain in the ass and a lot of work so the new house won't get much use. The old house we used it a lot. 1) cause I'm cheap and keep the heat in the 62-64* range and 2) the dog was in heaven just laying in front of the fire so it made his normally hyper self quite lazy.

I have saved a ton of $ on heating bills in the last 10 years. The first winter in this house I bought a used wood burner for $250 ( just sold it for $500 ) used triple wall chimney pipe for 100$ and a new Stihl saw. $500 ( still have it ) split the wood by hand that winter. Bought a $300 gas splitter that I still have the next summer. I already had a old truck ( that I still have ) and trailer so that helped. I upgraded the wood burner last fall to used wood furnace ( $1000 )  and hooked it into my furnace duct work. Much more heat upstairs, it has its own blower that is thermostat controled and not as much wasted heat. Over the years I have bought a 3 more saws, dump trailer, diesel truck and Kubota tractor with front end loader they are not just for wood cutting but it sure make life easier the work takes less time. We bought 4 20lb. tanks of propane last winter and could have got by with one or two but the wife and kids are so use to it being hot in the house that no one want to put a sweat shirt on ever a pair of pants. If it gets below 75 everyone is freezing.

Over all it is a pain in the ass and when its real cold I have to get out of bed around 2-3 am and put wood in, more wood before I go to work at 6am, more wood at lunch time ( live 7 minutes from work )  more wood at 3pm. Bring wood in from outside EVERY night after work, more wood after dinner and more wood before bed. Last year the snow was so deep I had to plow snow from the wood pile to the house more then once. All my wood comes from friends or were ever I can find free wood. Its sure not for everyone but I really do enjoy cutting wood, splitting wood, stacking wood and just being outside working with wood, and even more I like saving $.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...