Ok, Yota... 1098 review...

Moto-Brian

$500?

Better make sure it is a legit 25mm kit... $500 is stupid cheap. They range from $1100-$1700 depending on the kit brand... That's new...

You can buy a set of forks with 20mm installed from a racer for about $700, though...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

their was a 1098R at Putnam this weekend with many extras on it. I could smoke him on the strait,but he had a shit line through 10. I wasnt impressed,but it was fun to see one!

Sure it was an R with extras? They don't need extras as they come with everything...

Plus, even with a squid on board, a 1098 in a straight line should wax about anything other than a SS built liter bike... They have over 160RWHP as shipped....

well shit, when i was up there before he said he ordered an S. he went to barber and rode the R for the dealer/press release, but the price was too much for him. hopefully he got the R though, since he was saying he wanted to put me on it for a few races...

lizard, Nice write up, you WERA?

First let me address the brakes, i think your buddies' needed bled, the Brembos are far from shit and will bite you if you're not used to them. They are definitely race/track inspired and since you're a racer they're probably nothing special for you anyway.

I spoke with Jason Etter at the track last weekend, he told me about the supposed service bulletin from Ohlins that said the rear DU-511 needs re-valved for competition/track use. I then spoke with Matt Carr yesterday and he stated that he has yet to see a service bulletin but that re-valving the shock would in effect make it a DU-515, giving it a bit more high speed damping.

As for the head shake it sounds like you needed some more preload in the rear and/or the ride height raised. The forks are also sensitive to rebound damping, taking a bit out probably would have settled the bike during transition and setting up for corners. I was having some of the same issues in the esses setting up for the keyhole but after Jason tweaked it a bit she settled down.

As for the question of is it worth it, that's obviously subjective. Can you get another bike cheaper and tune it to be faster on the track? No doubt, but for someone who mostly rides on the street with the occasional track day it's more about the overall performance and i must admit the Ducati name.

As for the question of is it worth it, that's obviously subjective. Can you get another bike cheaper and tune it to be faster on the track? No doubt, but for someone who mostly rides on the street with the occasional track day it's more about the overall performance and i must admit the Ducati name.

arent there like 72 virgins involved in the process somewhere too?

maybe im confused with something else...:D

First let me address the brakes, i think your buddies' needed bled, the Brembos are far from shit and will bite you if you're not used to them. They are definitely race/track inspired and since you're a racer they're probably nothing special for you anyway.

I spoke with Jason Etter at the track last weekend, he told me about the supposed service bulletin from Ohlins that said the rear DU-511 needs re-valved for competition/track use. I then spoke with Matt Carr yesterday and he stated that he has yet to see a service bulletin but that re-valving the shock would in effect make it a DU-515, giving it a bit more high speed damping.

As for the head shake it sounds like you needed some more preload in the rear and/or the ride height raised. The forks are also sensitive to rebound damping, taking a bit out probably would have settled the bike during transition and setting up for corners. I was having some of the same issues in the esses setting up for the keyhole but after Jason tweaked it a bit she settled down.

Good points, for sure. I understand the overall chassis set-up needs attention as ANY street bike would when placed on the track. When I get more than one session with the bike, I will do changes in order to get the bike more suited for higher performance riding.

No issues going to the keyhole - I was having head shake when hard exits out of one and onto the front straight. Under hard load and higher corner speed, I will snap or pull the bike upright to get a direction change to maintain speed and exit drive. Usually, power wheelies are a result with a slight bit of the bike crossed up. My race bike never has much issue with this maneuver. The 1098 didn't appreciate it, but it wasn't a big deal - just a bit of a hassle... Direction change and while leaned over, it was fine and well planted...

As far as price, again... Take $23k and use that amount to build a GSXR1000. GSXR wins hands down. Easily. Not saying the Duc is crap by any means. Just saying that Suzuki can win and be on top for less cash and perform most likely better. Not many cases to compare as there are literally no Ducs on any grid in AMA or WERA Nationals. There, in-lines rule the roost and even at a Regional level, the Duc falls short...

Plus, entry cost could be listed as close like I stated, but overall, mechanical side of things show the Duc is more expensive to maintain. Thus, again, it is a matter of preference...

If you are wanting really good Ohlins information, my suggestion is Mike at Thermosman. He's pretty much the go to guy for about any AMA racer out there. If there's a service bulletin, he may not be aware as it is a street based set-up, but he'll be able to help a ton.

Not many cases to compare as there are literally no Ducs on any grid in AMA or WERA Nationals. There, in-lines rule the roost and even at a Regional level, the Duc falls short...

What about Pegram on the 848? Or are the AMA nationals a different class?

What about Pegram on the 848? Or are the AMA nationals a different class?

I was refering to the 1098, but even with Larry vs. what, 4 other factory bikes, he's not winning... FX isn't a fair place to compare as it is a somewhat endless amount of money to be put into the bikes. If anything, Larry's bikes fall short to the budget the Japanese teams have.

Flis did good last year...

Again, not wanting to compare Superbike based machines. I want to keep it in Superstock based mindset...

Superstock GSXR1000 vs 1098S

Now, even at the 1098R that actually has everything you could ever want, $40k vs a GSXR1000 and a $4ok budget falls towards the GSXR moreso...

Forgot to address the brakes...

Yes, they had the lever too close to the bar at the start. Thus, the pull wasn't enough for what I wanted. Even at where I'd want it, they were good. Nothing bad there. BUT, again, with a race bike with SS lines and Vesrah Supers, they feel as closely compared to the Brembo set-up. Point is, they're really good and I liked them. Damn good, but the whole worry about them being too bitey at a further reach wasn't warranted. At full out, they felt perfect and similar to what I prefer...