Ruger LCP .380

imagineer

Yeah, i've actually held (not fired) the S and the Pro next to each other.  Both striker fired models  have a better trigger than the 'standard' LC9, but for a carry firearm, I would choose it over either S model.   I just don't want to risk a negligent discharge... 

Those usually only happen to negligent people. Most professionals prefer no safeties. Your finger should not be inside the trigger guard until you are ready to fire. I have had all three of the LC9's. I currently carry the 9S Pro and I also have the Kahr PM45 for the larger caliber. Both are loaded with Winchester Ranger-T's or Federal HST's for stopping power.

• Upvote 2

It's ok to want a manual safety but if you do, TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN on flipping that off during a draw until it becomes like breathing or else you'll lose 1-3 seconds in a fight figuring out what didn't happen. I've seen more people in defensive handgun classes flub up their simulated drills because of that than I've seen NDs (zero). If you keep a chambered pistol in a trigger guard-covering holster and exercise finger discipline, you won't ND, proven by millions of CHLs packing Glocks and such every day.

The 9S/9Spro would be an excellent pick. I don't agree that the 40 shoots similarly and find the extra kick and weight to be unnecessary for a discrete carry piece, but that's just my opinion. I think if you're going to sling a 40, get a CM45 for similar capacity, recoil and weight for bigger holes.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps the fear is all in my head.  I appreciate the vote of confidence regarding the striker-fired models, and I'll consider that in the future.  But like you said, train train train.  I am still in the "practice practice practice" stage.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps the fear is all in my head.  I appreciate the vote of confidence regarding the striker-fired models, and I'll consider that in the future.  But like you said, train train train.  I am still in the "practice practice practice" stage.

I'm glad you're taking it that way - it's a vote of confidence in YOUR ability to use the only real safety guns have - the human brain.  But like I said, if a manual external safety rings your bell, go for it and train a lot, that's all - you'll be in good (Colt 1911) company.  In either case, practice at home with thousands of draw-to-fire exercises (with the ammo put away of course!).  I had the exact same concern, but once I started to carry an unloaded pistol around the house for several weeks, practicing my draws, re-holstering, etc. knowing that any mistake would only result in a silent mea culpa (which never happened), then I moved up to carrying a full mag without anything chambered and then finally full hot.  For me, it was a progressive confidence builder that started with minimal risk and added just a layer at a time.  Now I see my holster as my external safety, so to speak, and now none of my pistols have external levers on them to avoid flubbing up a draw in an emergency.  The gun only leaves its holster when I'm preparing to shoot, unload or transition to another holster, always pointed in a safe direction of course and double-checked after unloading and before handling, even if just a few minutes have elapsed between phases and especially if it's left my sight and hands.

Ever handled raw meat in the kitchen for even just a second, and your hands feel toxic until you wash them with hot water and soap?  Or you avoid touching your eyes after handling hot peppers?  Or your shoes smell like poop after walking through a bark park until you're sure they're clean?  That's a lot like how guns feel to me until I've confirmed they are unloaded and they stay in my control that way.  You intentionally create almost a neurological obsession about the gun's condition so that it sinks down into instinct.

Others here probably have a far better description, but that's how I relate to it.

• Upvote 1

The 9 mm Shield is an excellent choice for concealed carry.  I picked mine up at Fin, Feather & Fur last January for $379 but they've had them on sale as low as $349 in November.  

Also, you can find some good prices on 9mm ammo at Luckygunner.com or bulkammo.com.  Both sites ship out of Knoxville, TN.

Whatever you decide upon, just make sure you practice, practice, and practice.... 

^ I went through about the same process when i started to carry.

That's my plan as well. And I am obsessive about safety. No one ever had a ND by confirming the gun was empty too many times.

I also have developed a habit of only handing people firearms with the slide locked back, or bolt open.

Reminds me of a game I played with my nephew last weekend while he held an unloaded M9. I moved around him while he kept the muzzle pointed away from me and in a safe direction. Got funny at one point. He did well. I told him to imagine a flesh-cutting laser always shining from the nose of the gun.

.40 is a snappy bitch, but .45 is more like a nice push which I personally find to be quite pleasant and easy to keep on target for follow up shots.

Yep, same exact experience here. 40 is a short hard snap while the 45 is a longer strong push.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Didn't read all the way thru, but wanted to say they recently revamped the LC9 and made it striker fired. The old LC9 was hammer fired and had a long, heavy pull. Not a real problem for me, but hard for my 5 ft, 100 lbs Fiancée to keep on target. If the LC9S is anything like the SR9C, it's gonna be a killer CCW. I carry her LC9 and SR9C as much as I carry my XD40SC.