Mr. and Mrs. Tonik's epic trip

Tonik

You'll like NM. I've been here visiting family for the past 3 weeks... your route goes right past where I am (Los Cerillos, on 14). Madrid gets pretty busy during the summer months, tons of bikers because of that wild hogs movie from a few years back being filmed there. 

The Ski Santa Fe access road (you pick it up in Santa Fe, Artist Road/475) is worth the short jaunt as well, there are some really great views up there. The peak is at 12,000 feet, the base lodge is somewhere around 9,000 feet, you can see forever. If you're looking for accommodations around the Santa Fe area, there are a few options downtown on the Plaza (La Fonda or Inn of the Anasazi) or, just up 475 a bit there's a nice Japanese-style onsen + spa called Ten Thousand Waves that has cabins you can rent (good restaurant, massages, hot springs, etc). 

Stop in Cerillos as well if you have time. A couple of new little shops are opening up there this spring as well as a restaurant. Young Guns was filmed there back in 89 along with a few other movies over the years. 

Edited by what

I've not been out west yet, but the Rocky mtn range has my attention as well. And I agree with drc, I'd book a couple months instead of weeks to ride as much of the Midwest as possible. I like you're newest route, although an old friend of mine was stationed at Davis-Monthan in Tucson back in the early 90s. He sold his car to buy a Ninja and used to rave over Rt191 as well as the plethra of canyon roads. He used to beg me to move out there.

When's the big trip?