Bmw s1000xr

bloodninja420

I went on a ride this summer with the 2 guys I know that have these.  They are both skilled riders on the street and track.  We were riding a pretty hot pace.  These BMWs are quite fast in the corners.  Maybe not quite SS fast, but really close.

In a few places we were gassing out of corners at WOT.  The S1000XR would slightly pull away from my VFR1200 (which is pretty damn fast) on 2nd or 3rd gear corner exists.   

I went on a ride this summer with the 2 guys I know that have these.  They are both skilled riders on the street and track.  We were riding a pretty hot pace.  These BMWs are quite fast in the corners.  Maybe not quite SS fast, but really close.

In a few places we were gassing out of corners at WOT.  The S1000XR would slightly pull away from my VFR1200 (which is pretty damn fast) on 2nd or 3rd gear corner exists.   

LOL I can only imagine what your idea of a Hot Pace is.

LOL I can only imagine what your idea of a Hot Pace is.

Apparently WOT out of corners on 170HP touring bikes lol.

Rode one of these during the warm snap. This may be the perfect road bike, folks.

Almost makes me want to drop $20k on a new unit, which I'd previously have thought insane..

Did you notice any vibes about halfway up the tach? I'd found this was a common issue, but may not be as prominent if you're not riding it for hours on end.

I was able to ride the XR for a few weeks and really enjoyed that bike. I loved being able to make a (small) grocery run, pack up the panniers and still be able to do wheelies on the way home. The one I rode has the ShiftAssist option which allows clutchless up and down shifts. The shifting was buttery smooth up and down even over the neutral jump between 1/2. I pretty much spent most of my time holding throttle and tapping the shift lever up and down. That's a feature that is one of those that you don't really need but sure is nice to have. 

The ergonomics were nice in riding position, it was odd at first going from my tight, tiny R6 onto this big wide XR with panniers but it's an easy ride. The only problem I had was my feet absolutely could not touch the ground (30" inseam) even with the suspension mode all the way soft so if you're on the shorter side you'll just have to put a little more weight on a foot when stopped. No big deal really, just another thing to get used to. 

The riding modes are pretty neat, I think I stayed in the normal "road" or "street" mode but started out in rain as that slows the throttle rate way down since I wasn't used to what kind of power this thing would put out. Even though it's a detuned S1000RR engine it still rips enough to put a smile on your face and get the front wheel off the ground with a flick of the wrist. 

Definitely recommend at least demo'ing one of these from your local BMW dealer. 

The BMW dealers here in socal have a demo program that should be the same program available nationwide. I was able to ride one for a few weeks because BMW is a client of ours, so while I can't guarantee they'll let you ride it that long, you should at least be allowed to demo a few hours of riding.

Edited by natedogg624

I'm really interesting in seeing one of these in person. I'd also really love to see the new KTM Superduke GT in person to compare.

I'm not necessarily sold on the Ducati. After owning my hyper, I'm not sure I'd buy another new Ducati.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you notice any vibes about halfway up the tach? I'd found this was a common issue, but may not be as prominent if you're not riding it for hours on end.

Not something I noticed, but I wasn't doing much cruising at all. I'd want to confirm whether or not it's a serious problem before buying, though, as long distance travel is a big part of this bikes value prop.