Who's in Toledo?

Heagachongoose

Hey peeps. Me and the lady will be moving into Toledo this Spring. Right now we're looking for a place to rent and I'm on the job-hunt.

Any Toledo locals on here? I could use a few leads [emoji14]

From what I could tell on google maps there seems to be a few decent Kart tracks around too!

I'm not that familiar with the area, but I have relatives out that way.  My grandpa lived within the Toledo city limits for several decades.  My aunts and uncles moved to the more rural areas.  Bowling Green only exists because of the university.  My uncle teaches there.  My mom's other sister lives in Swanton. 

I could ask my cousins where they would recommend.  2/4 of them are still in that area, and are in their late 20's.  I doubt you care what my other cousin thinks - unless you're looking to hang out with 16 yr old girls ...don't answer that on the internet.

Sweet! Thanks! I'll take any info I can get redkow97. As of now I'm basically charging in blind lol. I've only been to Toledo 3 times. All were quick trips to the university with minimal scouting. 

we are south of Toledo. 

How much south? lol I thought you guys were in Dayton? 

I graduated from UT.   I really like the school, the city ehhh.

Cool! What was your degree in? I'm debating whether to apply to their Mech. Engineering program. I'm not sure if I would be able to balance the studies as well as being the sole financial support of this operation. I'm going to need a big boy job to make this happen. On the bright side there seems to be plenty opportunities in the area that could utilize my expertise and degree. 

The school reminds me of Hogwarts.... I swear I half expect some wizard nutcase to mug me every time I walk up to the main hall. 

The city... The city is pretty shitty from what I have seen of it. 

Soooooooooo flat :(

Half of my family lives in Toledo and I graduated from BG so know the area well.

Maume and Perrysburge are as close as I would live to Toledo proper, but anything in the Anthony Wayne school district is good. White House, Waterville, and any of the semi rural burbs is fine. Sylvania is nice but pricey.

Anything within Toledo or even half of some of the better areas is a complete shit hole in my opinion.

BG is extremely close and a nice place to live, or anywhere in between. Findley is also not to far of a drive and also nice. Findley also has a much lower cost of living with regard to housing and apartments.

Edited by whaler

I second Maumee and Perrysburg area. I have a bunch of friends that grew up there and went to BG and some are still there raising families.

My Uncle has lived in Sylvania for the last 20 years and that's a nice suburb too.

I spent a ton of time on UT's campus and BG's as well since most all of my friends went to either school. That was almost a decade ago now though. I'm partial to BG because they had a Skyline and Campus Pollyeyes is the best

I second Maumee and Perrysburg area. I have a bunch of friends that grew up there and went to BG and some are still there raising families.

My Uncle has lived in Sylvania for the last 20 years and that's a nice suburb too.

I spent a ton of time on UT's campus and BG's as well since most all of my friends went to either school. That was almost a decade ago now though. I'm partial to BG because they had a Skyline and Campus Pollyeyes is the best

Pollyeyes

Myles Pizza

Pisanello's bread sticks

Maxwells breakfast (not sure if this one still exists)

Great bar and music scene!

Not shit for riding (flat), although there are a couple roads to get your fix...

105 from BG to Woodville.

River road (424 and 110) from Grand Rapids to Defiance.

65 from Waterville to Grand Rapids.

Awesome! Great info thanks! I'm so glad to hear that there is at least a few roads to ride in the area. Marked them on my map!

I'm still expecting most of my riding post-move to be on the track. Ive been scouting out the area via google maps for kart tracks and road courses. Not just for the bike but the car too! There seems to be a pretty good automotive community up there.

I'm a big fan of food and beer too. Seems like there's plenty of good stuff in the area.

Music scene eh? That sounds great. There's not much where I am from and all of the projects I have been part of dwindled out pretty quickly due to the lack of local support.

Mango, looks like we'll have to meet up over a beer and talk motorbikes once I move into town ????

Music scene eh? That sounds great. There's not much where I am from and all of the projects I have been part of dwindled out pretty quickly due to the lack of local support.

We played quite a bit in Toledo and Bowling Green back in the late 90s and early 00s.  The metal scene was kicking there pretty good back then, but haven't been back since.  Best venue we frequented in Toledo was The Main Event ( think it's changed owners as it's now Main Street Bar&Grill ), opened up for a few national acts there ( Union Underground, Hed PE, Dope, Bobaflex ) but we also played smaller clubs like BPM and Frankies across the street ( but those were dives ).  Bowling Green's Howard's Club H was the good metal slam there. 

As for good riding in that area, I've no clue.....all we did back when we'd play up there was get high and shoot at signs along the river from our van :crazy:

Awesome! Great info thanks! I'm so glad to hear that there is at least a few roads to ride in the area. Marked them on my map!

Not right in the area, but not too far SW Michigan has some roads.  North of 90 and west of 69 there are a lot of nice sweeping country roads.

We played quite a bit in Toledo and Bowling Green back in the late 90s and early 00s.  The metal scene was kicking there pretty good back then, but haven't been back since.  Best venue we frequented in Toledo was The Main Event ( think it's changed owners as it's now Main Street Bar&Grill ), opened up for a few national acts there ( Union Underground, Hed PE, Dope, Bobaflex ) but we also played smaller clubs like BPM and Frankies across the street ( but those were dives ).  Bowling Green's Howard's Club H was the good metal slam there. 

As for good riding in that area, I've no clue.....all we did back when we'd play up there was get high and shoot at signs along the river from our van :crazy:

What is/was your band?  I've seen Hed PE, I believe they were opening for Soulfly.

I know many of the Cleveland metal bands that have had some national exposure.  

What is/was your band?  I've seen Hed PE, I believe they were opening for Soulfly.

I know many of the Cleveland metal bands that have had some national exposure.  

Name of our band is The Reefer Hut.   Band started back in '95 and I joined early '99.   We'd opened for quite a few national acts back in those days.  We took a hiatus in 2003 so we could all pursue other projects and came back together in 2012.   Used to be a 7 man band with 3 guys on vox, but 2 left permanently in '03 so now we've just got Adam on the mic.   Our sound's changed from rapcore ( imagine Slipknot and Linkin Park mix ) back then to just an extreme metal now ( more death metal and hardcore mix )

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 2

Name of our band is The Reefer Hut.   Band started back in '95 and I joined early '99.   We'd opened for quite a few national acts back in those days.  We took a hiatus in 2003 so we could all pursue other projects and came back together in 2012.   Used to be a 7 man band with 3 guys on vox, but 2 left permanently in '03 so now we've just got Adam on the mic.   Our sound's changed from rapcore ( imagine Slipknot and Linkin Park mix ) back then to just an extreme metal now ( more death metal and hardcore mix )

Helmet and Snot.  I get it now.

If you know any Cleveland metal bands...I know the guys from Keelhaul, Ringworm, Incantation, Not So Good ole Boys, etc.

• Upvote 2

Helmet and Snot.  I get it now.

If you know any Cleveland metal bands...I know the guys from Keelhaul, Ringworm, Incantation, Not So Good ole Boys, etc.

Incantation and Ringworm both ring a bell, and we may have shared the stage with them at some point.   Can't always remember every band we gig with, between the 6 bands I've been part of, I probably have upwards of 300 shows played out.   We traded shows with a group from Buffalo NY in the early 2000s called 3Below.  We travelled up there a few times and vice versa.   BUT, we've sadly never played Cleveland itself.....always Columbus area, Dayton area, Cincinnati, Toledo, Pittsburg, N.KY, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan.  

The barter system was used heavily back then.  Bands would trade shows to gain exposure and push merch in other areas.   Now, the internet has really broadened that beyond what we were capable of back then.

My first band ( Levelled ) was signed a couple times, Fallen Angel Records ( independent label ) and later it was with Aurora Records ( semi-corporate sister label to Kardina Records ) which is were most of my out of state gigs came from in the mid-late 90s.  The Reefer Hut sticks around the local area since we came back out, and we draw a good sized crowd depending on the venue.   But it's just a hobby.  We're nothing special, and none of us have plans on making music our life and tour all the time.....everyone has families and mortgages now, and metal = struggle, so there's no room in our lives for big commitment and low pay.

If you see the bands you mentioned sometime soon, and they'd like to travel to the Dayton area, my rhythm guitarist ( Neil Hixson ) has a good sized club called Oddbody's Music Room.   He books everything from death metal to country, and he hosts some local showcases as well as opening slots for big nationals.

Cool man. That's awesome. I guess I'll have to keep some of my gear around, I've been slowly and painfully selling it off over the years to fund motorcycle bits.

The most successful thing we ever did was open for Whitechapel in Cleveland a few years ago. 

• Upvote 2