EPA Threat to Motorsports

330racing

At least they are far stretching to start offending and interfering with everyone. Unfortunately by the time everyone realizes this Obama is going to claim squatters rights to enact his 3rd term and the only way to fix this broken system will be violence. Fortunately though, I believe most FBI, ATF and military will be on the side that wants to fix this from the way our current corrupt government is running things. 

This is different. Before it was illegal to make these mods. Now it is going to be illegal to sell these mods. I believe that means pci's and aftermarket pipes for our bikes might very well be illegal. And they no longer have to try and find us, they just need to bust the manufacturer. 

Enforcement becomes easy peezy.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I am glad people are invested in the process, but don't get too alarmed.

There are plenty of ways to lawyer around this.

Sure!  Pay 1500.00/hr attorney fees for a federal lawsuit.  Then as a manufacturer or retailer you have a target on your back.  No thanks!

Edited by 330racing

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/02/no-the-epa-isnt-making-it-illegal-to-turn-an-old-car-into-a-race-car/

Here are the facts: nothing has meaningfully changed. Yes, other reports stated that if this proposal passes, it will be illegal to tamper with or remove emissions equipment from model-year 2018 and later road-going cars, pickups, and light-duty vehicles, even when converted solely for use on a racetrack. But this is the case now; there's just no federal enforcement. The revised language simply makes it (somewhat) clear that the same regulations apply if you swap a tractor or snowmobile engine into your race car. (The only race car I can think of to have used a snowmobile engine was the Chaparral 2J, which used a two-stroke engine to drive a pair of fans that sucked the car to the ground.)

The crux of the matter is a remaining lack of definition and enforcement. The EPA recognizes the vehicle itself as the target of compliance or noncompliance. Racers and enthusiasts have long considered the vehicle's use as the arbiter of compliance or noncompliance and this seems to make more logical sense. Other laws like those pertaining to road safety equipment like airbags no longer apply when a car turns to the racetrack for good.

Racers remove street-car emissions equipment in track preparation because some emissions controls, especially those on older cars—most often the subject of race car conversions—cannot operate in the stressful environment a racetrack creates. Under those very high temperatures, shock, lateral braking, and acceleration forces, they would likely overheat and could even pose a fire hazard. Some of these racers are even converted to run on alcohol rather than gasoline, popular among some drag racers.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MichaelS said:

And more writing to dispute the chicken littles.  http://blog.caranddriver.com/no-the-epa-didnt-just-outlaw-your-race-car/

And why do you think they clarified the regs?  Chicken littles? You are most likely naive because you are not part of the aftermarket nor any type of auto racing.  This is not a small thing...I assure you....but keep swallowing what they feed.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 330racing said:

And why do you think they clarified the regs?  Chicken littles? You are most likely naive because you are not part of the aftermarket nor any type of auto racing.  This is not a small thing...I assure you....but keep swallowing what they feed.

For this reason, " Instead, the proposed language in the Heavy-Duty Greenhouse Gas rulemaking simply clarifies the distinction between motor vehicles and nonroad vehicles such as dirt bikes and snowmobiles. "

As for makers of after-market parts it is far easier to fine them than try to track down every owner.  Should you be able to purchase a kit to remove all the emissions equipment from your street vehicle?  No.  There was a huge issue with I think it was Edge and their diesel tuners that defeated emissions on trucks that were running on the street.   I don't see how it will affect race cars.  That isn't their target.  Their targets are vehicles with race parts used on the street. 

So you are ok with them fining companies as long as it isn't you?  Pretty soon we wont be able to buy anything because the environment is so prohibitive for any company to succeed.  There is also a million jobs that could be impacted with the EPA suddenly deciding to fine the manufacturers and retailers of aftermarket parts.  As long as it doesn't affect you DIRECTLY, everything is good. 

Edited by 330racing
  • Upvote 2