Have any of you lived in/near Charleston, SC?

wolfeman28

So my job has offered me a transfer to another state to get me out of furlough status. It's either take the transfer, or sit and wait for possibly 2 years here in Cleveland. So I opted for the transfer, because bills.

There is a possibility of 4 different locations, and although I don't get a choice specifically, they told me to list order of precedence, so I'm confident I'll be getting Charleston SC. If not, I'll be back with a new thread :)

So has anyone lived in that area? I'm a big water sports fan, which is one reason I've never left Cleveland. So the ocean there is a big plus. Looks like the weather is rideable almost all year long. Finding a place to live looks like it will be tough, rent looks a bit higher on average there and in the surrounding area.

What is there to do around town? Bars, nightlife, food, women, etc.

Lucky bastard! I've spent a lot of time in the area and my parents bought land down there but didn't get to build on it before my step dad unexpectedly passed.

its been a few years since I've last been but as far as good homemade low country fare goes, you will not find many places better than Poogans Porch downtown. Snobz is good but more of a high class/modern twist on low country  cuisine. 

Such a fantastic area and one day I will retire down that way

Lucky mother f-er. That WILL be my retirement state. I am a fan of isle of palms/ mt pleasant area. The weather is great, people are nice, food is good, and then there's the beach. It is a great place for history if your into that. I would transfer there in a heartbeat if I didn't have my companies here. Maybe one day. Unless you let me live vicariously through you?? 

• Upvote 1

Atlanta and Iowa would be last on my list. Atlantas traffic is a complete nightmare no matter what time of day. Whatever the gps says times it by 10! That's when you'll get there. You may as well park your car and walk, you'd get there faster. Lol. Personally I have never been to Iowa, but my brother is a pilot and hates going there. He says it's a miserable place. 

I did my job training down in Atlanta, so I totally agree on the traffic. I couldn't believe how far away from the city center that it starts jamming up. And I saw some very shitty driving by the people, like going left of center to pass up all the traffic stopped at a light, only to go to the front and turn right! Was nuts, saw a few accidents per day.

Charleston is the best. One of my favorite people from this site moved there a couple years back, kozmo. I am a couple hours south on hilton head. 

If you like awful weather and people stay in cleveland. If you like great weather, palm trees, people with manners, history, sea food then charleston is your place. Oh and we have palmetto state armory too

• Upvote 2