Any MIG operators on here?

Staubig

I started a MIG job, my least favorite of the big three, about a month ago. We weld stock as thin as 13 or 14 gauge sheet metal. I'm just now getting the consistent good looking beads I can normally do under lesser settings. They run everything at 27 volts, .035 wire at 700 IPM. Is this a pretty standard setting in most weld shops? The heat I can deal with, but the wire speed took me three weeks to really get the hang of. Corners, Lap, butt joints each have their little tricks when you have to whiz-bang them out that fast.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of feed but 27 volts for that gauge is pretty hot, so as long as you keep it moving and get used to laying bead that fast I guess it's a decent combo. I'd drop the feed and the heat some personally, but I like to make pretty welds, and if you have to grind to make your welds pretty, you're not a welder, you're a grinder.

Those settings are crazy high. All machines are different and the type of gas also makes a difference in the settings. But I have never ever welded with settings that high on any machine I have used even on 3/8" plate. Sometimes shops have odd input voltages and the machines are not matched to that voltage. Such as a 330 volt machine running on 240 volts. Google mig settings. Setting charts are avail. 

When I worked at Martin wheel setting up the Bancroft welding lathes they would run upwards of 25 volts on Miller units with co2 on 14 GA stampings pressed onto tubing with 3/32 wall thickness. Just gotta feed lots of wire and move the work fast. 

It's fast as shit. I was having a breakdown after blowing holes in pieces for a couple days straight. I'll need to confirm the shielding were running. I think it's 75/25, but it comes hosed in so I never see the source. Just wanted to confirm I should have been struggling for as long as I did lol

• Upvote 1

Let me give you some background. I finished welding classes in November. Out out 10+ apps, no bites EXCEPT for this place. Formerly owned by Amish, partnered with an Englishmen, the. Then the English guy bought the Amish out. I'd say it's a 50/50 split of Amish and English. I'm not particularly find of working with Amish. They don't care about precision, just breaking a sweat. Which is fine, but they're trying to have me eyeball stuff up to 22 foot long. Ridiculous. But anyways, they make dumpsters, big dump bins you'd find outside a bay door, and trailers (intermodal and otherwise). Being the new guy I'm making the big bins. I have no passion for the product, but I do for the work. So being that it's bins they really only care how many they pump out, but they run the same settings on the outside of trailers, but with .050 wire. It's just a ridiculous speed to run anything but a stringer at. Like I said, you're allowed to change your settings as long as the welds are sufficient, but nobody does. I'm getting the experience I wanted and I still take pause when I open the checks. Verticals welds are the only ones I'm especially proud if, but they're all acceptable. Glad to know I'm not out of line being concerned at the settings, but it's production. Also, nobody needs certs for anything, which is dumbfounding considering some of these things have wheels on them and will be passing you in the highway.

• Upvote 1

44bf00cdb316cad691aa0cc666018b9d.jpg

This is the most handsome section I can run, and its vert. Its a battle against gravity, sometimes I win, sometimes there's hot globs bouncing off my boots.

I'm hoping to get into custom fabrication, pipelining, something more important. A friend just offered me a $400 TIG welder to swap bodies on an old VW beetle. I'm pumped.

3 hours ago, speedytriple said:

Miller!!? Boo! If any of you welding guys need equipment I can check to see if I can save you some money. Oh Lincoln products only or century we own them now also. 

This completely unbiased message brought to you by Lincoln Electric.

• Upvote 1

Lol I'm a grunt not a sales guy but I do get employee discounts on over stock stuff. Just trying to help you guys if your looking for equipment. I don't get anything out of it. I've saved friends who wanted MIG welders some decent money in the past. I picked up a generator/ welder for the house an saved big. Never use the welder just use it as a Genny.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, rawlins87 said:

wouldnt need gas on flux wire, and flux wire welds look different than the picture he posted.

I know flux doesn't need gas. Hate flux personally. There's different gas mixes. Wondering which one?