So going faster is safer?

Tonik

I dont seen trucks convoy nearly as much anymore.  Just too many drivers out there from other countries that try and squeeze in as many runs as possible before their DOT log mandates a break.   So if they can run 75mph+ then they just might have enough time to nab another load before they have to shutdown.  Boils down to greed vs safety or fuel conservation.  Not sure if company's still offer fuel bonuses or not, but the way some drivers roll it's likely more fortuitous to speed and drive like assholes instead of mediating fuel consumption.

Sadly, trucking is one of the highest paying jobs pursued by fresh off the boat, non-english speaking, immigrants.

2 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

I dont seen trucks convoy nearly as much anymore.  Just too many drivers out there from other countries that try and squeeze in as many runs as possible before their DOT log mandates a break.   So if they can run 75mph+ then they just might have enough time to nab another load before they have to shutdown.  Boils down to greed vs safety or fuel conservation.  Not sure if company's still offer fuel bonuses or not, but the way some drivers roll it's likely more fortuitous to speed and drive like assholes instead of mediating fuel consumption.

Sadly, trucking is one of the highest paying jobs pursued by fresh off the boat, non-english speaking, immigrants.

Of course, none of this is proven fact.  To me it's just the way things seem to have developed in the last 15 years or so.  Our customer base has grown tremendously via easterner owned trucking companies and drivers, but they seem to be the biggest problem we have when it comes to old junk trucks, barely legal, staying on the roads and accident involvement.  But these numbers could be due to the bigger percentages of them driving here now days vs American driver's who know/respect the law

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Of course, none of this is proven fact. 

My sister is a long haul over the owner operator. She concurs with your statements. Whole different breed of truckers these days, they are asshats.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

My sister is a long haul over the owner operator. She concurs with your statements. Whole different breed of truckers these days, they are asshats.

It's almost sickening.  A loaded 35 ton 18 wheeler has monstrous mass, and can crush multiple vehicles.  That is one hell of a deadly weapon to be driving around like a douche.  Hopefully ODOT will continue to crack down more and more since the transportation enforcement focused addition to the OSP.  

I roll 5-10 faster than traffic, I use the methodology of a "5 Mississippi" error factor. Meaning I look at least 5 seconds in all directions for escape routes, that includes road debris and pot holes. I've rode 40,xxx miles on bikes combined since I've had my endorsement. Not as much as some of u, but definitely enough to be comfortable in all situations I've encountered.

I'll be going to Mid Ohio this summer to run their "safety course" which everyone claims makes u a better rider regardless of skill level. Lastly, a supervisor of mine once told me (whom also rides) to understand that anyone on the roadway has the ability to harm you, so watch everyone and everything (road debris/potholes) like it could end your shit :-D

double thumbin' it!

As usual on OR you guys are way over thinking the topic.

I just get in the fast lane and go about 5-10 miles under the speed limit.I find that is the perfect speed for texting while finishing off my value meal.I have never even spilled my beer while maintaining that speed!Believe me,if there is any trouble approaching from behind they will let you know by honking,waving their hands all over the place and flipping me off.Some even throw shit at my car...good thing I drive a clunker since that last DUI.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'm not even sure it's limited to truckers. They don't help, but these car drivers are out of control behind the wheel. Every road is like "The Asshole 500" and you'd think the purse was ten figures. 

Or all the inattentive shitbags that cant keep the car in it's lane with their knee because both thumbs are busy posting  bs on facefuck, or twatter, or where ever else they're trending at the moment :nono:

It's been a long while since I visited this forum, so I figured I'd finally comment on something again. I agree with a lot of posts already. I like to go a bit faster than the flow of traffic. Once I'm away from everyone, I just cruise. No need to hurry to the next clump of cars. I was just mentioning in a youtube clip the other day that I believe drivers should be road tested more often. I don't believe I've taken a driving test since I was 16, other than when I got my endorsement. I think many people just don't realize how much they're doing wrong now. Turning into the wrong lane, using the correct lane on the highway for your speed, using a turn signal... all things people need to be reeducated about. 

Also, I love the clip from Gumball Rally, Kenny. 

One last thing... I am glad to be back on this forum. With my new Speed Triple, I joined thespeedtriple forum and I have to say, every post... by the 2nd page, it's off topic.