Car Stereo Diagram Help Needed.

imagineer

If anyone out there has a few moments, please help out a car stereo dummy…

The Jeep I’ve been working on came with, what I think is, a decent stereo (Pioneer DEH-X6500BT).    According to my daughter, the speakers (only 2, in the dash) are shot.   I scored a deal on 4 - 5.25” round speakers (Kicker DS525), so I’m planning on making 4x6 to 5.25 adapter plates and replacing the fronts, and also building two vented speaker ‘pods’ to attach to the roll cage as rear speakers.    From a different project that never got off the ground, I also have a 6” subwoofer (Pyle PLPW6D).    So I’m thinking that I might build a sealed enclosure and and install this little sub somewhere in the Jeep.    If I read the information correctly, I don’t need a separate amplifier for the sub.

The problem. . . I don't trust that I’m understanding the descriptions and pictograms on hooking up the speakers as shown in the manual.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-X6500BT_OwnersManual112712.pdf

(Pages 16, 17 & 18)

Right now, all the wires for the speakers are coming out of a multi-contact plug (#1 on the diagram).   Wires #10, #11, #12 & #13 (all for the rear speakers) are not hooked up to anything.   Also, there’s nothing plugged into the RCA jacks.   

I’m thinking that I can hook up the rear speakers as shown using #10, #11, #12 & #13 and then attach the subwoofer using the RCA jack (#4 on the diagram showing the back of the stereo) as described on page 16 (left side of page).   The stereo setting for this scenario is referred to as REAR/SUB.W.      

Will this work, or will the stereo go up in smoke?        Any help is greatly appreciated.

28 minutes ago, AndonD454 said:

The RCA outputs only provide signal to an extrenal amp. You need to buy an amp to power the sub (unless you have a stock sub/amp you are replacing, which it doesnt sound like you do)

So would that be a single channel amp?

52 minutes ago, imagineer said:

So would that be a single channel amp?

Yep. That isn't your only option, but if you are only amplifying the sub, that is your best one. Easy rule of thumb is to match the RMS output to the RMS handling of the sub, and match resistance (200 watt RMS sub, 2 Ohms, to single channel 200 watt RMS (@ 2 ohms) to the amp's capabilities.

Edited by AndonD454

More of my stupid questions...

So from what the manual diagrams show, is it possible to have 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers and 1 subwoofer hooked up to this stereo without using a separate amplifier?

I apologize for being so dumb, but I know nothing about stereos.    Honestly, I don't even turn on the radio in my car.   The only reason I'm putting the effort into this Jeep is because my kids will be using it this summer.

Check out Daveys Jeeps for a rear speaker bar, there are already adapter plates made for the front speakers, and check this out for an inside the console amp/sub solution http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html

That's what I've got in my TJ, and it sounds great.  Along with Infinity 5.25" front and 6.5" rear

Edited by Ron505

Cut that connector, buy some fuses an assortment of them and electrical tape. Find power, ground, and accessory wires. Start touching remaining wires until you figure out what's what for the speakers. Jam that radio back in the hole and I'd leave it flop around. Kids are going to change it out anyway if they catch the audio bug. 

Please don't do any of the above. 

3 hours ago, Ron505 said:

Check out Daveys Jeeps for a rear speaker bar, there are already adapter plates made for the front speakers, and check this out for an inside the console amp/sub solution http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html

That's what I've got in my TJ, and it sounds great.  Along with Infinity 5.25" front and 6.5" rear

Nah, I want to build my own.   I've got an unlimited supply of material, a laser cutter, waterjet and 3-D printers at my disposal.

Edited by imagineer