small brazing job, Columbus area

motociclista

I am looking to repair the exhaust on an old bike. The can is aluminum and the bracket is steel. This is a 19-year-old bike with 97,000 miles that I only keep for sentimental reasons, so beauty is not important. I just don't want the exhaust to fall off, which it's about to do.

Anyone have a suggestion for a shop I can take such a small job to? Anyone do this kind of work at home and want to help out? I'm not asking for a freebie. I'm willing to pay for your time.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I skipped welding class in high school so I was going by what a mechanic acquaintance told me in terms of brazing being possible. My magnet says the can is aluminum, motocat. I have been poking around for a cheap exhaust. When a bike is five years old, you can find stock exhausts for free everywhere. When it's 19 years old, not so easy. I'll figure out something.

Hey Al. There are two bolts that hold the small bracket to the can. Both are loose and spin freely, so I can't tighten or loosen them and I can't see inside to tell how they are supposed to be fastened. I can't take the can apart without probably destroying it. My only concern is that the bolts will eventually fall out completely and my exhaust will go tumbling down the road behind me, possibly causing a 15-car pileup that I'll be sued for.

With the age and condition of the bike, I'm just looking for a simple way to keep riding it. If I find a replacement exhaust cheap, I'll get one, but I thought welding the bracket to the can might be a simple solution. Alternatively, I've thought about making a hanger strap to wrap around the can and bolt to the footpeg bracket.

It's a stock exhaust from a 1997 Triumph Speed Triple, if that's helpful.

T509exhaust.JPG