AMA Member Benefits

JustinNck1

I was recently looking at AMA membership, and I was curious if anyone here uses the benefits included with the membership. They are showing roadside assistance included with membership and thought that might be decent to have.

33 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I was recently looking at AMA membership, and I was curious if anyone here uses the benefits included with the membership. They are showing roadside assistance included with membership and thought that might be decent to have.

I'd check the coverages because when Pauly ran into the issue with his supersport failing, he had to get it towed.  I believe he was using riders insurance with roadside assistance but they literally only covered like 10 miles.  He ended up using someone elses AAA card and got him much further.  Just pay attention to what the roadside assistance is because that's important. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I'd check the coverages because when Pauly ran into the issue with his supersport failing, he had to get it towed.  I believe he was using riders insurance with roadside assistance but they literally only covered like 10 miles.  He ended up using someone elses AAA card and got him much further.  Just pay attention to what the roadside assistance is because that's important. 

So i actually checked this specifically, cause a buddy of mine had AAA and it only covered 15 miles unless you had a higher rate package. AMA is 35 miles, which seems good IMO.

Edited by JustinNck1
  • Upvote 1

So i compared AAA and AMA. Both on $49 packages. AAA is 3 miles. AMA is 35. Both will do any vehicle, flat tire, jump start, and gas. AAA says on their website it is an extra $35 for RV and Motorcycle towing and Tire service, and you must be a plus member, which is $83. This sounded kinda odd. AMA offers "Mobile Mechanic" which sounds like a joke, but if someone could bring me parts/tools to fix my bike, it would be worth it.

I have AMA. It covers any vehicle as well. Called them a couple times for keys locked in vehicle. What I would tell you in those instances is it will be awhile before they get there. I think they have a limited number of providers. I use them because for $50 a year it also supports a group that looks out for motorcyclists and lobbies for your rights as a rider.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JustinNck1 said:

Their is some truth to that. No Ducati dealer in the entire SEO area, which blows my mind. Tons of Japanese and Harley Dealers though.

I was speaking to the fact that ducati leaves him stranded more than the japanese counterparts 

Just now, DerekClouser said:

I was speaking to the fact that ducati leaves him stranded more than the japanese counterparts 

Lol that too. I can't say much, my BMW was tore apart more often than any bike I've ever owned.

23 year AMA member. Wife ditched it in the snow. They said sorry that is not classified as a tow but a pull out. Refused service. Also was supposed to be a free life member after 25 years when I joined. They changed that shit too. They can go pound sand. Oh yea. They screwed up road racing and the magazine is a joke. Your choice road or off road. Road mag has more info on off road stuff not to mention all the advertising. I'm out.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

If 35 miles is enough, then the AMA coverage should do well. I don't ride my bike unless I'm gonna be 100+ miles from home, so it's useless to me. I've had to use my AAA coverage a couple times. It's worth the extra money to know I don't have to deal with "the closest shop is 100 miles away...and you're on the hook (pun) for 75 miles, at $3.50/mile". 

...but that's just me. :dunno:

I agree on the fact that I typically am farther than 100 miles away. That's why my thought has always been tow me to a rental place, rent a truck and haul it myself in the truck. My guess when I'm somewhere like tail of the dragon, that will be for sure the cheapest route. For me in the boondocks it may even be cheaper to do this if I'm in southeast Ohio.

I've used my AMA roadside twice, once in a car, once on the bike...worth every penny and they were fast and easy to work with. I like the AMA discounts on stuff, too, really it pays for itself by the end of the year just on the hotel/bike part discounts. Can't see a reason not to have it, honestly.

• Upvote 1

I'm an AMA life member.  I don't always agree with their priorities, but I do appreciate all of their efforts to keep an eye out for us.  They do a surprising amount of work protect individuals rights.  They have lobbied for stiffer penalties for people that hit and/or kill a motorcyclist, they have helped with legal representation for folks that have been wronged, and they have held officials accountable for their votes and decisions.   They did screw up road racing real bad, but to give them a little credit, they realized they weren't handling it correctly, so they sold the rights to DMG who who was supposed to know what they were doing.  And again, a little too late, they realized that DMG wasn't driving the sport even further into the ground, so they pulled back the rights.  Hopefully they keep a closer eye on it this time.

I like the magazine, and recently (last couple of years), they split the magazine into two magazines.  One is focused on off-road, and one on street riding.  Its not a great magazine, but it does have some info that you don't see in all of the other magazines.

Luckily (knock on wood), I have only had to use the roadside assistance once.  I was in a car and broke down at midnight in Germantown.  The folks on the phone were very nice and patient, but they weren't able to find a company that would come get me were I was.  I was maybe 15 miles west of Dayton.  Ultimately, I got a lift home and went back in the morning with a flatbed (anyone want to buy a 02 Protege 5 with a cracked head?).  I was out a little bit, so I didn't hold it against them that they couldn't get a tow company to come get me.  But, had I been in an area that I wasn't familiar with, I would have been less forgiving.

• Upvote 1

I have used the AMA roadside assistance a few times now. All of them were for vehicles and not my bike. One tow makes up for the cost of the membership. They have always been quick to pickup but I have always been around the city. I had AAA many years ago and while hauling my boat one of the wheel bearings on the trailer went out. AAA would not do anything for this breakdown but AMA roadside assistance doe cover trailers as well. AMA has done a bunch of stuff to save our rights that many do not see. They get involved when the tree huggers try to prevent off road riding on public owned land, most of which is out west. If you ride, you need to consider supporting this organization.

• Upvote 1