Who's Going?

Lawrence1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Oh now you did it. If @Bad324 see's this his going to school you, like he has multiple times already.

But I wont tell @Bad324. Your slip is secret with me.

I've done it so many times it's not even worth it at this point.

It's also not fair. It's like I'm Babe Ruth and they are some A-ball pitcher just serving up meatballs for me to crush.

Some people just prefer to live in ignorance so let em. I don't need that kinda negativity in my city 

Edited by Bad324
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jbot said:

Sorry cbus couldn't cut it for an event of actual importance. Don't be so salty, baby. OSU football will be on soon enough, you'll get your binky back then. 

Maybe they thought the city with the smaller muslim population would be safer?

14 hours ago, Idiot said:

Isn't that only about half of the truth?  I mean, yeah actually wanting a new independent country was a pretty close thing but dissatisfaction with some of the ways England was ruling was pretty well held by a really solid majority?

In other words, yes, you could say colonists were evenly split on independence, but not evenly split on being mad at England?

Not really, I think... the British half was British, profited from being so, and had no intention to start over as independents. The independent half, did not profit as much / if at all, and was seeing taxation and confiscation as a reason. Which led to enforcement and war.

Edited by ReconRat

15 hours ago, jbot said:

Sorry cbus couldn't cut it for an event of actual importance. Don't be so salty, baby. OSU football will be on soon enough, you'll get your binky back then. 

Columbus doesn't really have the capacity for a national event. The lack of a public transportation system is why didn't make it into the running, the RNC planners were worried people wouldn't be able to make it around town reliably. Hotels are fairly limited downtown too. It's a known problem but nobody really cares to fix it for whatever reason. But hey, at least we're the smartest city in Ohio. 

On 7/15/2016 at 0:24 PM, Idiot said:

If you've got some sources for that I'd love to see them.  Kind of a reading hobby of mine.  I've heard the divided colonists point quite a few times over the last couple of years and so far all I can find is that in the years leading up to the first continental congress the colonists were pretty sharply divided and the majority favored the crown.  It wasn't until the second continental congress that public opinion began to shift, which resulted in a unanimous declaration of independence.  From what I've read, the war was the real sticking point.  Whole bunches of people wanted independence but a great many weren't willing to go to war to get it.

Sounds about right. History is so revisionist, the truth is probably somewhere in between. We can only guess at most of it.

edit: wonderful wiki... nice list of Loyalist reasoning... so, half the population was Loyalist, avoided confrontation, or apolitical. 40-45% supported loyalists. 15-20% of population was male of fighting age, and promised the crown they would do so. But... when the time came, they did not. British lost. A good percentage of Loyalists fled to North to Canada, or South to Florida and Caribbean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalist_(American_Revolution)

"Tory Refugees on their way to Canada" by Howard Pyle

Tory_Refugees_by_Howard_Pyle.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

41 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Anybody know of this nonsense is encroaching Slavic Village? Lyns has a track day at the Velodrome on Wednesday. 

Doubt it. Plus remember the nonsense doesn't really start until 3 pm each day.

Just now, Tonik said:

Doubt it. Plus remember the nonsense doesn't really start until 3 pm each day.

Cause that's when all of the protesters that don't have jobs wake up from their drug induced nightly coma's?

:D

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Track time doesn't start until after work. So long as I don't get put in a position to run over human road blocks, because I will do just that, I'm fine with Cleveland doing whatever it wants. 

I'll look for you on the news. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Anybody know of this nonsense is encroaching Slavic Village? Lyns has a track day at the Velodrome on Wednesday. 

I doubt the nonsense directly affects the velodrome, however traffic might be affected. They got so much messed up in downtown with traffic I expect I-77 to be a cluster most of the week. However as suggested you can probably take Broadway from I-480 without much problem.

• Upvote 1