07 zx14 idle stall

shep

So for the past few weeks my zx14 has randomly started to stall at idle. At this point it will start after sitting, run for about 2 or 3 min then drop down to 800rpm ish and stall. While riding when i let off the throttle completely it drops down and stalls. After this occurs a few times, the bike will no longer start, just cranks over until battery becomes to weak. It has brocks full exhaust, k&n air filter, pc. Up until a few weeks ago it started and ran fine, would sit with no problems. Could it possibly need new plugs?, adjust idle any ideas or directions would be helpful. Thanks

If my C14 is rev'd before the idle drops on start up it will stall but never on the road and never any problems restarting.

Yea I'd look into the PC like the happycat has stated. Why I never want to mess with those things. Nine times out of ten when someone is having problems with their bikes the first thing they say is "I have a PC" not saying it's always the problem just saying they always get mentioned.

With those mods, it makes it a little more complicated to trouble-shoot.  I'm with the posters who suggested unplugging the PC to go back to the OEM map to see if it fixes the glitch.  Or it could be something as simple as the TPS needing to be reset.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So charged up the battery for a week, iv now got it to start but the key is it must be leaning to the right when cranking and it fires up, when sitting up centered or to the left it will start periodically. I cranked it when it wouldn't start from leaning left on kick stand to center then to right and once the right lean was accomplished the dumb thing fired up lol i don't get it. 07 fuel injected, not carborated why would it do that lol.

Have you tried starting it and getting it to idle then leaning the bike to see if it stalls?  If it does, I am going to say it's something electrical like what whaler stated above or a loose connection somewhere.

I can ride it around all day now, ran 2 fresh tanks of gas through it, just have to lean it to the right about 40 percent of the time to start it lol, rides fine once started now that i have adjusted the idle. Going to check the tip over sensor tomorrow 

New day new news, so roosting down the road all is good, bike dies, still can crank and what not but never fires. Notice the temp guage flashing high then low. Look it up on line sais could be battery related, so figure that seals my issue, go buy a new battery hook her up same thing, temp light flashing crank and no start/no fuel pump,check pcm, ignotion fuses, all good, found a fuse behind the battery, good. Think maybe the fuel pump might have a fuse, so some on the side of the road remind you, i take my tank off to find it has no fosse under there lol. What i did notice os that at a certain positing when arching the tank the fuel pump would kick on and the bike would start again untill i lowered it... got to checking wires, turns out there's a big cluster of wires that runs to the left of the tank to start i would guess is the ecm. I push the wores to the left and hold ot starts, telease it dies, woumd up using zips on them to creat some sort of tension where it would stay running. Now im about to cut into this mess and try to search for a broken wire, am i on the right track lol this harness runs under the tank up the left side of the bike just about every electrical component in the front.

New day new news, so driving down the road all is good, bike dies, still can crank and what not but never fires. Notice the temp guage flashing high then low. Look it up on line said could be battery related, so figure that seals my issue, go buy a new battery hook her up same thing, temp light flashing crank and no start/no fuel pump,check pcm, ignotion fuses, all good, found a fuse behind the battery, good. Think maybe the fuel pump might have a fuse, so while on the side of the road remind you, i take my tank off to find it has no fuse under there lol. What i did notice is that at a certain position when arching the tank the fuel pump would kick on and the bike would start again untill i lowered it... got to checking wires, turns out there's a big cluster of wires that runs to the left of the tank to front and back to what i would guess is the ecm. I push the wires to the left and hold it starts, release it dies, wind up using zips on them to create some sort of tension where it would stay running. Now im about to cut into this mess and try to search for a broken wire, am i on the right track lol this harness runs under the tank up the left side of the bike just about every electrical component in the front. I cut the zip ties off and now i can't get it to act up again dangit lol

13 hours ago, shep said:

Now im about to cut into this mess and try to search for a broken wire, am i on the right track lol this harness runs under the tank up the left side of the bike just about every electrical component in the front. I cut the zip ties off and now i can't get it to act up again dangit lol

Electrical problems suck, but it seems to me you at least have a good starting point. If it were mine I would be doing as IP mentioned and going with your initial thought.  Take connections apart, clean, dielectric grease, look for any bare wires. Put it back together and test locally, no long trips until you were sure it was fixed. Even though it is working ok now. I still would be trying to find something wrong and if not I would at least know I cleaned and grease all terminals. These type of things don't typically fix themselves.