HD fined for emissions

2talltim

Oh, hoping it was noise emissions.

That's the thing. From what I heard this is the tuner they sell owners that want to put the loud pipes on thier bikes. You can re flash for slip ons or buy this tuner for full exhaust. My info could be off, just going off of what the HD guys I work with say.

9 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

That's the thing. From what I heard this is the tuner they sell owners that want to put the loud pipes on thier bikes. You can re flash for slip ons or buy this tuner for full exhaust. My info could be off, just going off of what the HD guys I work with say.

Yea, that is certainly why most of them do it.  They want loud ass exhaust so they do that, then they need a tuner to fix the change in back pressure.  But the fine was for emissions, not the noise. I would assume the hammer came down on Harley for two reasons.  One, it would get a lot of press and two it was basically an OEM helping customers violate EPA standards.

Hence why most performance mod parts for bikes say "for off road use only" somewhere on them. It covers their asses. The fact that HD tries to control every aspect of their products including aftermarket applications has bitten them in the ass and I find that hilarious,

This is the start of more action by the EPA towards the automotive and powersports aftermarket.

The issue that the EPA has with the tuners is that they have user adjustability in regards to air fuel settings..which takes a vehicle out of CAA certification parameters.