And it's over just like that....

Ghostryder1krr

6 hours ago, Ghostryder1krr said:

Update: complete reconstructive surgery on my foot to come. Dr says I will never run jump climb or anything other than walk again. Says even that will be challenging especially uneven terrain. Says I won't be able to do my job anymore. Looking like next spring before I can start preparing my leg to learn to walk again. 9 months before I could be walking. Bad day with bad news now hopefully I can prove him wrong on everything......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what he says.  After the surgery, you'll have therapy.  Take it seriously; good therapy done religiously can do wonders.  My situation wasn't good, but I walk again, kickstart one of my bikes and do almost anything around the house including getting on the roof to clan gutters.  Doctors seem to give you the worst scenario.  It's your job to prove they're wrong.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Wandering Soul said:

Doctors seem to give you the worst scenario.  It's your job to prove they're wrong.

absolutely this. The docs told my Uncle in law (?) after he got t-boned on his Harley at the age of 60 and was laid up for 6 months with so many broken bones and issues that he wouldn't walk and be extremely limited in his physical activity.

He's in his mid 70's now and has hiked across the grand canyon and back once every year for the last decade and takes the dogs for a casual stroll every morning and night. Casual to him is 5-7 miles

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I wonder if doc's don't say that to challenge you, to make you rise up to the occasion.

It's more to cover their ass. If there is one thing I learned from having a kid in the NICU is that they don't dare make a promise they can't keep

Because you get assholes like me that go off on them about just trying to rack up my bill

Edited by Bad324

12 hours ago, Ghostryder1krr said:

Update: complete reconstructive surgery on my foot to come. Dr says I will never run jump climb or anything other than walk again. Says even that will be challenging especially uneven terrain. Says I won't be able to do my job anymore. Looking like next spring before I can start preparing my leg to learn to walk again. 9 months before I could be walking. Bad day with bad news now hopefully I can prove him wrong on everything......

As others have said, the doctors don't know you.  They're looking at your foot and telling you the worst they've seen before.  Everyone is different.  People defy the odds.

I would also encourage you to talk to an attorney about the nature of your accident, and your future employment prospects.  I'm not telling you to sue, I'm not telling you you're going to be paid to sit at home for the rest of your life - but talk to someone who is familiar with workplace injury law, preferably before your company's lawyers start talking to you...

+ a million

Doctors like to underpromise and over deliver with worst case scenarios...probably because a) they don't want to get sued for giving false hope b) there are lazy people who won't do what they should and will end up in that worst case scenario. Work hard and good things will happen.

What happened to getting second and third opinions?  Different doctors do things differently and some do things in ways that others can't imagine.

Just like in every day life the 80/20 rule is in effect...20% know what they are doing and the other 80% have no clue.  Doctors are no different.

Edited by whaler

Based on what this doc is telling you, or how you're describing it, you would be better off losing the foot and getting a prosthetic. 

I'm not really joking. If it's THAT dire of a recovery outcome, they should be talking about preserving your quality of life, not preserving your foot. I'm sure insurance companies disagree. 

Based on what this doc is telling you, or how you're describing it, you would be better off losing the foot and getting a prosthetic. 

I'm not really joking. If it's THAT dire of a recovery outcome, they should be talking about preserving your quality of life, not preserving your foot. I'm sure insurance companies disagree. 

This is an option and has been discussed. I don't want to give up my foot it's my shift foot and if there is any chance that I could still ride and shift I want to keep it. But it has definitely been brought up and discussed. Actually have a "support" meeting on Monday to talk with other people who have previously lost something for one reason or another.

Amputation is an option for later.  I had a bad wreck in '98; ER docs and a couple of surgeons said my right leg had to come off.  A third surgeon said let's try and fix it.  It was ugly, painful and learning to use the leg and ankle again hurt like hell.

It was worth it.  I've always straddled my one Harley to kick-start it.  I can kick it to life today.  With that right leg and ankle.  I'm not meaning to hi-jack or brag...I'm saying don't write it off just yet.

• Upvote 1

I had my lower leg crushed by a truck in a motorcycle crash 3 years. Spent 6 months off work, had to learn to walk again, still have pain all the time. I still feel like keeping my leg was the best option. You will heal the body is a amazing thing, Just takes time. I was back on the bike before I could walk. Had to pay for gas at the pump and get on the bike from the wrong side since I couldn't put weight on my left leg. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/13/2016 at 10:25 PM, Ghostryder1krr said:

This is an option and has been discussed. I don't want to give up my foot it's my shift foot and if there is any chance that I could still ride and shift I want to keep it. But it has definitely been brought up and discussed. Actually have a "support" meeting on Monday to talk with other people who have previously lost something for one reason or another.

I hope you prove the doc wrong, but there are alternative shifting options.  There is an engineering solution to almost any motorcycle-related problem.  Focus on your foot problem.  I think you have the right attitude to come out of this smiling.  eventually.