Counterfeit items on Ebay

M_Quick

I recently purchased a fake memory card off of eBay supposed to be 64 gig was Houston an 8 gigabyte housing that was useless. Seller refunded full amount didn't want it back in even. And Santa Claus brought the triplets the new controllers for the PS3. Check out the way they spell entertainment on the back of a label, LOL

7510cd22181f46bede8f75f27f65a005.jpg

• Upvote 1

"alaparratus" haha

Memory cards are faked all over the place these days. Only buy from trusted retailers  - not third parties through trusted retailers - make sure it's fulfilled by the retailer themselves (i.e - Amazon, Newegg, etc).When I met with SanDisk and Kingston a few years ago at CES, they said they can't even tell the real from the fake ones without looking at the circuitry under magnification or by benchmarking the cards (invariably, performance is nowhere near the authentic version).

I also bought a fake 64GB memory card from ebay from a US based seller.   It was a really good looking fake.  The package and card looked just like a real Sandisk.  It was actually a really slow 2GB card.  By the time it arrived the seller's ebay account was already shut down.  Ebay refunded my money pretty quickly.

I don't mind getting fake knock off stuff from china, as long as it's disclosed that's what I'm getting and the price reflects that. And the item matches it's description. So if I would order a no name 32G SD, and it is indeed a 32G and I paid less than the going price but it performs poorly , that's on me. If you tell me it's such and such brand and it is not or the description or wrong, that's just fraud.

I bought a set of solid state relays for my electric brewery off eBay. Claimed rating was 40 amps.  Wired the first one up and it immediately failed. Same for the other. Ripped them apart and found that the triac (component that handles the load) was only rated at 16 amps. Did a bit of googling and discovered that these are highly counterfeited items. Reported seller and demanded refund. They refunded after I shipped them back.

The counterfeit Sandisk card I bought looked good.  Really good.  I won't buy anything where the seller is listed in China, Hong Kong, etc.  

This seller was some guy in Indiana, he had many of them for sale.  I kind of suspected that he didn't know they were fake.  Perhaps he got scammed by some shady distributor.

Edited by Tpoppa

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

This will save a lot of headache and shipping time.

Did you ever get back to the guy and let him know?

His ebay account was shut down so I couldn't contact him directly.  I'm guessing there were many complaints before I received mine.

25 minutes ago, durk said:

I've ordered 3 sets of Honda fairings on eBay that all came from China. They all looked great and fit well. None were perfect but I did not expect perfection for $350-$375. 

What seller/brand do you buy?  Need new plastic for a 2009 Ninja 250 and one lower panel is as much as you listed OEM!

Have read horror stories of shitty fit and crappy paint.  I do understand that it may not be perfect but do not want shit either.

@whaler below are 2 of the 3 companies I have personally used. The 3rd had nothing for a ninja 250. I would use any of them again. When I ordered these I always used my credit card through PayPal with the thought that if I had an issue I would let them fight it out. The only problems I had were small blemishes in the paint. Tiny run or so in clear coat, something of that nature. For the most part though the bikes looked like new when I was finished. If you want pics let me know. As far as fit goes my personal opinion is it is the installer.

A couple years ago I picked up a 2008 600rr that a kid had tried to install some of these eBay specials on and he said they sucked. I took it home and in 30 minutes it looked great. Unfortunately he was missing all the left side fairings, hence my first China purchase.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gloss-Black-Complete-Injection-Fairing-for-2008-2012-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-EX250-/231695606014

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairing-Fit-250R-EX250-2008-2012-Injection-Molding-Plastics-Set-08-09-c12-/231693993518?fits=Model%3ANinja+250&vxp=mtr&hash=item35f209c62e

• Upvote 1

I think it's relatively easy to spot a fake items/shady seller.

I know where to go if I need authentic name branded stuff if I need it.

That may be true sometimes but not all the times. This seller had a hundred percent feedback sold a 185 of these controllers, and I guess nobody else was the wiser until I bought the last three! I believe the packaging to be real, but idk.

2c7072cac25b662daf4f2e6d9263c423.jpg

3a7629a946e8fb2baf2b7e3200f02be4.jpg