690 Duke, who has/had one?

MidgetTodd

Ok who has a 690 Duke? Preferably a 16 or 17 and more importantly how about you let me take it for a ride.

If you have had one any year, how did you like it and did you ride it in the manner that I usually do?

Im pretty sure I want one to hold me over till the 790 comes out but Id really like to ride one first. Anyone here looking to sell theirs? 

I've read some negatives about the new Duke's soft suspenders and weak front brake, but they can obviously be upgraded if you plan to ride it hard at all.  I didn't test ride it last year at MidO's Vintage Days but did manage to squish one at their trailer.   Duke seems it would be comfy, but VERY upright.  Seat is low compared to the SMC, so you sit in it more than on it.  And iirc, the Duke's tune makes better power than the SMC but is only maybe 30-40 pounds more.   I've eyeballed them for a few years shortly after getting my SMC as a potential replacement bike to toss around backroads, cartways, and trackdays.   Good luck on the hunt, I think it's a winning choice in it's category

38 minutes ago, Habi said:

At least get a R 

No R for US market :( 

With my limited knowledge about your taste for bikes and riding style, my guesstimate is you prolly won't like it. And the price seemed little bit too much for a bike with hardly any suspension adjustment and comes with set up for around 170lb 

On 3/23/2017 at 1:24 AM, zx3vfr said:

Why not just buy something not European. Like a ninja 650, fz07 or an sv650

Because in the ninja 650 is absolutely nothing like a supermoto.

Same with FZ07

Same with SV650

European and Italian make better performance bikes in this category. Im not looking for my first beginner bike. 

Edited by MidgetTodd
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

Because in the ninja 650 is absolutely nothing like a supermoto.

Same with FZ07

Same with SV650

European and Italian make better performance bikes in this category. Im not looking for my first beginner bike. 

690 duke isn't really a supermo:tard:  

it is a $9k buell blast with some more hp. At least from the look of the rake. 

The 690 Duke is considered supermoto and has its own class in many supermoto series. As well one of the factory map settings on abs is supermoto mode. 

The more you know..... ;)

its just not a converted dirt bike supermoto. Which if you knew me you'd know that was already part of my stable. 

13 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

No R for US market :( 

With my limited knowledge about your taste for bikes and riding style, my guesstimate is you prolly won't like it. And the price seemed little bit too much for a bike with hardly any suspension adjustment and comes with set up for around 170lb 

Yea it's a specific reason I'm looking at it. The 790 is what I really want but it's still going to be a while before available. It's between this and a Hyper but leaning more towards this since I only plan on keeping it till the 790 arrives. 

Mainly for the Gap and county road hooliganism. The 450R is stupid fun but it's always on the rev limiter and isn't suited for Long all out runs. Have go thru it like every other ride the way I treat it. So the Duke and Hyper are the next closest. And the converted motos aren't passenger friendly 

5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Yea I saw that. There's another dealer in MI that has leftovers for 6995 too. I'm holding out for a used 16 that's not still at msrp lol.  They made a bunch of good changes to 16 and up but not many used 690s out there especially 16+.

Want to ride one first but either way it can't be worse than that FZ09 I had on our last ride right lol

Buddy has one, put on an Akra exhaust and a cam.  He's had other supermotos and came into this KTM through a buddy.  Next time he comes by the shop, I'll get an opinion.  Actually, Todd, you may know him, he used to race OMRL.  Jeff Root ring a bell?

16 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

Buddy has one, put on an Akra exhaust and a cam.  He's had other supermotos and came into this KTM through a buddy.  Next time he comes by the shop, I'll get an opinion.  Actually, Todd, you may know him, he used to race OMRL.  Jeff Root ring a bell?

No. Don't know him