William Crum Sentenced for 15 years for Hitting Motorcyclist

DerekClouser

Not sure if many of you remember this, but this asshat was the guy who infamously swerved to hit the motorcyclist passing on the double yellow.  When confronted by another motorcyclist about why he did it, he said, "I don't care.  He shouldn't have been passing on the double yellow."  Then when noticing he was on camera, changed his story to being stung by a wasp. 

Here is the original video: (Warning NSFW and turn down the volume if you are using headphones, the initial part is quite squealing from the wind)

The second article is the news source that shows his sentencing. 

https://hcnews.com/pages/photos/driver-in-motorcycle-video-sentenced-to-15-years/

15 years and will be eligible for parole after half the sentence.  He's currently 69 years old. 

19 hours ago, Fin said:

I'm glad to hear he is off the streets.
I hope the biker was sighted for crossing the double yellow too, but more importantly the cager is off the streets.

2017-04-01 23_02_55-Start.png

Why are you hoping the biker was sighted?  

51 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Why are you hoping the biker was sighted?  

The biker was driving illegally by crossing the double yellow.
The bottom line is: that's clearly illegal as shown on the video.
Some cagers really get pissed off by the liberties taken by some bikers, so this is what happens.
And don't get me wrong, I hope the cager spends all 15 years in prison.
The cager could have killed the bikers and there are no excuses for that.

27 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Some states allow passing slow moving vehicles on double yellow. car wasn't going the speed limit.

I know, each state and local enforces laws a bit different.
In Ohio, with a wink and a nod, you can pass on a solid yellow.  
If the car is going real slow and driving on the right shoulder, like a Mail Carrier, it's ok to pass.
It's either pass or impede traffic.  
And as a motorcycle I sure as hell am not going to impede traffic.  That's suicide.
But if there's an accident because you crossed the solid yellow you will be, more than likely, at fault.

Here's the official say from The United States Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration (federal laws trumps state laws) on the double yellow from: https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/services/publications/fhwaop02090/twtmarkings_longdesc.htm

11 hours ago, Fin said:

I know, each state and local enforces laws a bit different.
In Ohio, with a wink and a nod, you can pass on a solid yellow.  
If the car is going real slow and driving on the right shoulder, like a Mail Carrier, it's ok to pass.
It's either pass or impede traffic.  
And as a motorcycle I sure as hell am not going to impede traffic.  That's suicide.
But if there's an accident because you crossed the solid yellow you will be, more than likely, at fault.

Here's the official say from The United States Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration (federal laws trumps state laws) on the double yellow from: https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/services/publications/fhwaop02090/twtmarkings_longdesc.htm

these are just standardized markings. not traffic laws.

in ohio if a vehicle is traveling at half the posted limit or less, it is legal to pass them on a double yellow. period. not sure about texas.

• 2 weeks later...