New rear tire questions

copper1k

I'm looking for some advice on replacing a rear tire. My tire is shot and I don't want to get burned at any of the local shops. I usually turn my own wrench but I don't have the tools for changing a street bike tire.

I am running a Michelin Pilot 180/55 zr17.

What would be a decent price on replacing the tire with materials and labor? With me bringing the wheel in?

Do I have the option of mixing tire brands from the front or should I stick with Michelin? My front tire still has some life left, so I intend on keeping it.

Any recommendations on tire types that can stand up to the v-twin torque?

And lastly, what shop would you recommend in the Columbus area?

Thanks for your help!!

Brian

If it has a pilot front you might as well put a pilot on the front.

If you are buying the tire from the dealership expect to pay around $220-250 for tire, mount, and balance. Most dealerships will charge $160-180 for the tire then $30-40 for mount even off bike.

ummm... Everything to remove the rear tire, except the jack/stand and cotter pin is in your tool kit.

he is going to take the rim off, but the tool pouch doesn't have the stuff to remove the tire from the rim and mount new tire..

Another note to Pony. You can't beat their price and even if you buy cheaper on line, a dealer is going to charge you to mount and balance so, it will equal out most likely. As a matter of fact, it will probably be cheaper to get it all done at Pony...