ford rear end help

88lx5oh

No. the diff on ther ranger is offset, not dead in the middle. alot of fox body guys will use the differentials and 2 driver side axles for 5-lug conversions, also 2 passenger side axles from an aerostar will work.

OOPS Sorry didn't read it all, yes you can use the guts from a ranger, 8.8 ring and piniond and diffs are the same, it's the housing that's different..

although, the turbo coupe housing is the same as the mustang housing. I'm pretty sure you can use a mustang 8.8 from around 83-98 but you will need axles from the 96-98 cars.

Consider getting a non-ford diffrential. I used an Auburn in mine. The clutches in the ford units make it so they need to be rebuilt every so often. The Auburn units also use clutches, but they are a cone type, and from what I understand they don't wear the same way.

Originally posted by NTHER91:

there is a lenght issue with the earlier fox body swap the sn95 housing is longer end to end

fox and SN95 housing are the same length, the SN95 axles are a little longer though, I thought they were longer too untill i looked it up.

Auburn = suck, when i was looking around for canadits for the rear diff of my car i found alot of bad things said about the clutched burning out quick. not the Detroit true track i got in it now = bad ass no clutches.

sn-95 axles are bout inch longer than fox's, 99+ are bout 3/4 inch longer. fox rearends and sn-95's are same length. rangers come with 28 spline and 31 spline carriers, watch out for the 7.5 rearend though. i put my stock limited slip diff in my ranger since it had the open diff.

did ur carrier wear out hoblick? or u trying to do the 3.73/4.10 gear out of the ranger?

also do u have any of the cash you owe me?

i stayed away from Auburn from others experences with them. i had planed on getting it for my car but changed to a Detroit Locker Truetrac. its not that Auburn doesn't make a good product its the durability of it, plus it still has clutches. Now Eaton make a good unit for a limited slip. this is just what i think, doesn't make me wrong doesn't make me right.

I was going to buy a Torsen since it was mechanical and had no clutches. I went with the Auburn unit for the same reason you didn't; other people experiences. In this instance they were good. i am sure there is more than 1 good brand out there.

Original point: Don't go with Ford's LSD.

smile.gif

Originally posted by Hoblick:

need to know if a 8.8 rear out of a 2004 ranger 4 x4 will work in my 98 GT.

wanna pull the carrier and pinion and swap it into my stang. are all the bearings shims.. etc.. the same?? will this work

Where did you get your axle from? I'd like to get 4x4 8.8 w/4.10's for my truck.

the bearings are going out in my rear end.. this car will not see track time at all. its a daily driver. my uncle has a full rear end out of a 04 ranger 4x4 8.8 lsd wiht 4.10 gear. he will be doign the work for me, and at no cost. he is jsut gonan pull everything out of the ranger rear and stick it in mine. i didnt want to spend ANY money on this at all. it was unexpected, and i just want it fixed so i wont have any problems. and this seemed to be a good rout to go, if the rear out of the ranger would work.

hoblick, yes the guts will work for you. i would just to autozone and buy timken bearings though. u remember all the cars we did at the shop(newer cars) bearings were shot after 10k in most cars. jus a hint. has Albi torn that rear end apart yet? lemme know when u come home to do it