rx-7 questions

Veritas

well, my 7 won't move currently. Not sure as to the cause yet, but it had been having a problem with getting spark and firing lately. We thought initially it was fuel injectors, ok so Im going to replace those. No problem. But now the car won't even start up. And I smell fuel so it's going SOMEWHERE (just unknown as to where about currently...) It cranks, but doesn't turn over. IT kept losing rpm and i would have to try to gas the peddle furiously to keep the car from stalling out last night before it finally just died on my way to go get some food. Anyone here have ANY IDEAS as to why it may be doing this?

T.c.

did you check for spark yet?

pull a plug wire stick an old sparkplug in it and touch it too ground then turn the motor over if it doesn't spark that gives you a place to start from if it smells like fuel you most likely don't have a fuel problem unless its way rich all the time and fouled the plugs

Guest nevarmore

Smells like fuel?

You flooded it maybe? Fairly sure the FC's are similar to the FB's. Pull the plugs, pull the fuel pump fuse, get some rags and crank the motor. Youre going to have to spray the fuel out that way because rotaries don't unflood themselves.

Originally posted by Veritas:

im going to completely ignore that last statement.

sorry,just a little former rotary owner sarcasm(hard to detect via internet) anyway.if it's flooded try putting your accelerator to the floor while cranking.i was told by a knowledgable rotary mechanic that this turns OFF the injectors.it always worked for me when my old 7 was flooded.also seems to happen fairly often when running for a short period of time when the engine isn't up to temp.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jsauer052873
What's the mileage on the motor? Have you tried the apex seals? The OEM seals are junk. They're only good for like 60 to 80 thousand miles.

Guest jsauer052873
What's the mileage on the motor? Have you tried the apex seals? The OEM seals are junk. They're only good for like 60 to 80 thousand miles.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by honfreak:

Really? I'm pushing 90K on my stockers. The OEM's are not junk, most of the aftermarket dealers will sell you Mazda parts in their own engines.

Your information is wrong. The apex seal weakness is largely a myth based on an occasional rare case.

Originally posted by Rotary Jihad:

Really? I'm pushing 90K on my stockers. The OEM's are not junk, most of the aftermarket dealers will sell you Mazda parts in their own engines.

Your information is wrong. The apex seal weakness is largely a myth based on an occasional rare case.

my apex seals lasted till 88k in my 90GTU.

Originally posted by Rotary Jihad:

its not a myth. Especially on a turbo. I thnk almost every local fd I can think have doesn't have the original motor in in.

Originally posted by Doug:

who said they had to be.

You and I both. Modifying ANY engine shortens it's life. The apex seals on the one I owned lasted until 125k, stock. There are many first gen's that have over 175k on the stock first motor. Almost every 3rd gen in town is at least moderately modified.

Guest nevarmore

Piston rings = apex seals.

For every engine with blown apex seals there is a boinger equivalent with similar mods (juice, boost, overbore/porting, and bad assembly and tolerances) that has had a ring failure.

[ 10. May 2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Rotary Jihad ]