Supra owners, need help?

Guest 00Smurf

Guest 00Smurf

Well i finnaly got my 89 5spd. IT has a rough idle and spews black smoke when throttle is pressed. Mudd butt graciously offered his services, and helped me attempt to repair it saturday night. We ruled out the afm, it works fine. NO cracks in the accordian hose. We found out the timing was off, and i think we got it set right. His timing light was acting liek a woman, and not working all the time. Its not a BHG, tht was ruled out(thank god). I also ruled out the coilpacks. We didnt have time for a compression test. And the last thing we were working on was the tps. We think it may be off as well so we took it apart and were attempting to set it but ran out of time. We also didnt have any feeler gauges, wich are required to set the tps. This brings us up to where the car is at currently. I have alist of whats not wrong, and nothign on the list of what the problem is. :(

Joel(mudd butt) is goign to try and make it down tues or wed to continue troubleshooting, but if anyone else would liek to help and can make it over with joel or sonner than that. I would greatly appreciate it. I'll pay for the beer if you so desire or if not beer w/e drink u would like.

If it makes anydifference i have a perfectly running parts car to swap parts from. So i think it will only be a matter of elimination.

Things that would need to be brought are boost leak detector, timeing light, compression tester and feeler guages. Everything else i have.

Anybody willing to undertake the task?

I had one of these, and it seems to me like the only thing that causes a rough idle and black smoke is the AFM. TPS would mainly cause a high idle. How did you guys check the AFM? because maybe its a wire going to the unit somewhere. But I really think that is the problem.

Guest 00Smurf

i checked afm's bw swapping the one from the running car into the 89. no change. didnt think to check any of the wires.

its fuel not oil. dont know about boost cause i cant get it to go very fast w/o dying or bogging out.

Guest 00Smurf

hmm.. wish i would have though of that first, before we took everything apart. well once i get the tps back together and the timmign set right, i will check for loose clamps. Was it just the clamp was not tightened? Was the hose still on there but loose. I didnt realize that could cause so many problems.

Also my exhaust is missing a section in the middle so it comes out underneath the car. Will that cause any porblems other than being loud?

Originally posted by 00Smurf:

Also my exhaust is missing a section in the middle so it comes out underneath the car. Will that cause any porblems other than being loud?

No I'm running open 3 in Downpipe right now. No exhaust from where the cat should bolt up back.

Guest 00Smurf
Originally posted by Doug:

No I'm running open 3 in Downpipe right now. No exhaust from where the cat should bolt up back.

awesome, well now all i need to do is figure out how to get the tps back on and set the cam timing. then check for leaks. whats the easiest wa to go about that other than by physically examining each one.

Guest 00Smurf
also when i reset the ecu, is it true that it takes a while to relearn the fuelmaps. and will run rough in that time. if so how do i know i have fixed my problem if it still runs rough.

Guest mudbutt

I only visually checked piping and checked clamps, as we didnt have any brake cleaner or carb cleaner that had enough in the can to make any difference. There were other things that were off right off of the bat. The cps was advanced all the way and timing was sitting around 0 degrees, hinting that it was off a tooth. so I "fixed it" and somehow went the wrong way( I rushed and didnt bother lining up marks, my fault) I fixed that problem and decided to check tps while we were at it since my friend nick holden's car had similar symptoms with a bad tps(high idle not being one of them). at idle it showed .000 ohms so I figured Id adjust it, then realized Nic had no feeler gauges.

When I go up next Im going to adjust tps with my meater and feeler gauges, make sure timing is correct and go from there with brake cleaner and more thurough visual. with the combination of very little very old gas, bad timing, and a possibly off tps, Im pretty confident that it will run after my next visit. Also when I had an intake leak anything not under boost would be lean(readings per wideband)somewhat ruling that out, but I agreee that checking that out is a good idea.