air fuel gauge bad? or actually lean?

Berto

dunon i haven't paid much attention to my A/F gauge, i know they suck but i didn't know that. haha regarless i was paying attention to it last night and most of the time it was way into the red zone, if that! i let it sit last night.

i thought it might be a problem with a fuel cut off switch i put in so i bypassed that and still did the same. didn't seem as bad tho.

regarless sometimes its fine it'll read stoich but then sometimes it'll say i'm so lean its not even funny.

and at idle when i pulled into my garage it was going towards rich but it didn't do it at idle anywhere else....

also when i hit a bump in the road it would go up into stoich also.

so bottom line, how can i test the gauge? how can i test that my O2 sensor is ok? i was thinking voltage but the voltage varies so thats really not a good way i don't think.

With the exception of a wideband O2 sensor and guage, all A/F guages are simply show. Your narrow band O2 sensor cannot react quickly enough to give any creedence to the guages air fuel reading.

There are no tests for A/F guages, and testing an O2 sensor is a waste of time. Just replace your O2, due to the pre-mix contamination, and enjoy the lightshow you call an A/F guage.

Ground it straight to Battery ground. A/f gauges are not completely useless (well maybe in an N/a car) They provide an "indicator" and nothing more. If used in combination with a good egt gauge they can be helpful.

I'd never rely on one alone. Wideband is the way to go and they are becoming reasonable priced. There is a group buy going on on TD.com. Wideband commander by Holly.