Damn driveshaft/tranny to block bolts

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict

trying to replace rear main oil seal, cant get driveshaft to move forvard away from rear end to drop it to be able to drop tranny, car is on jackstands, and they are set on the axletubes so i cant move the rear end, dont want to do a lot of beating on it cause i dont wanna drop it, even though i have it set rather stable, any tips on getting that off?

side note, found i have a borg warner rear end while i was down there and got the serial number and it is geared rather low, 2.77 posi rear end i was thinking of changing gears, but for a drag car, is that a good ratio and a good, strong rear end?

[ 15. September 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Everyone Including Jesus Hates Me ]

put a bar or a big screw driver in between the rear yoke and the u joint and pry forward the driveshaft has enough end play to come out without dropping the rear end it should slide into the transmisson an inch or better. if it won't move make sure there is no rust on the front part of the driveshaft were it slides in to the tranny it could be hanging up on that.

if you have 2.77 gears they are mounted on a 2 series carrier to run a 3.73 or larger gear your going to need a 3 series carrier 4.10 is a good automatic gear for that car if it has overdrive. good luck finding stuff for that nine bolt its a decent rear end but gears and stuff are kinda hard to find.

if you just want a little more pep out of it look for a factory 3.55 gear rear end.

try astro auto parts outside of granville they may have what you want he's got loads of good used 3rd gen stuff there.

Originally posted by BIG PAPA:

This shit will eat that rust. I used it for the first time last week and holy shit does it work. I bought mine at Meijer.

http://www.pbblaster.com/store/images/PBCatalyst.gif

graemlins/thumb.gif I will always have a can of that stuff in my garage. Haven't found anything that can compare.

Guest FBody Addict
Originally posted by GAS,GRASS OR ASS:

if at first you don't suceed beat the motherfucker into submisson with a big ass crowbar smile.gif

Agreed +1000

already have a can of pb blaster, i noticed customers bought alot of it, so i decided to try it. great stuff

Guest FBody Addict

tricks/ tips on getting the top two bolts out of the top of the tranny? alot of wiring harness and some air punp pipes back there and unable to locate the bolts themselves, too much oil coverage from rear main seal going bad and flinging oil everywhere anyone wanna comeout and help me with this ~7:30 tonight i would appreciate it greatly call cell at 614-937-6209 i will be at work till 7, i can pick up my phone at work, or if anytime tomorrow works for anyone that would be great

everything disconnected except for those 6 bolts

its an auto Josh.

undo the crossmember and let the transmisson down a little on a jack you can get to the top bolts easier that way.

DONT FORGET TO UNDO THE BOLTS THAT CONNECT THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO THE FLEXPLATE you can damage the front pump or the flex plate if you don't unbolt it.

hth

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS OR ASS:

its an auto Josh.

undo the crossmember and let the transmisson down a little on a jack you can get to the top bolts easier that way.

DONT FORGET TO UNDO THE BOLTS THAT CONNECT THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO THE FLEXPLATE you can damage the front pump or the flex plate if you don't unbolt it.

hth

ahhhhhhhh my bad...

Ya, do what Dave said... if you drop the tranny then you should be able to get to the bolts... just remember to use extensions and swivels to get to the bolts if you can't get straight on them without.

Guest FBody Addict

got tranny down, now i can't get the flywheel bolts undone, and they been soaked w/pb and wd

even tried sticking something through the holes in the flywheel to jam it so it wont move, succeeded in stopping it from moving, but i guess i need a cheater bar

any tips?

Guest FBody Addict

got the bolts, now he seal wont come out please tell me i dont need a special seal puller no or does it have a seal retainer, which i will probably need a puller for

$30 bucks if someone wants to put the tranny back for me, i'm fed up with it

dont get discouraged you may have to remove the oil pan and loosen or remove the the rear main cap is it a one piece or two piece seal? if its a one piece just pop it out with a screwdriver. I might be able to look at it on sunday hit me up this weekend if you don't get it fixed.

when you go to put the flexplate and the converter back in make sure you use locktite on all the bolts I use red personally on everything but if you have trouble taking stuff apart use the blue.

Guest FBody Addict

one piece seal

tried to pry it out, all it did was tear up rubber

there were some gaskets that came with the seal, so i believe there is a retainer

all i really need is someone else who knows cars to come and help me, my family and most everyone i know cant tell a box end wrench from a socket wrench (i taught myself most everything i know about cars by poking around under the hood, so if it seems i dont know alot, thats why)

dave, contact info please, sunday will work, but i really need to get this p.o.s. rolling asap

i work tomorrow 9-2

saturday 8-6 (10 hour shift, no break, yeah, it sucks, i'll be dead by the time i get off)

sunday 10-4

whoever comes to help please bring a torque wrench, mine needs calibrated badly