Steering very loose?? No resistance?

Boost-n-Juice

that old of a truck should have a wear adjustment in the stearing box. There should be a screw or bolt on the side that you will remove so you can get your screwdriver in the box to turn an adjuster. Trial and error it and your done.

You stated it's loose, are you meaning that there is play in the steering, turn the wheel and the truck don't turn. Or is it just VERY easy to steer. Also, does that truck have the hydraboost brakes (boost run off the power steering and not vaccum assist).

One thing that can cause what you are talking about, is having the alignment set wrong, specifically 0 degrees toe in and no camber (tilt). Does the truck tend to wander from side to side as its' going down the road? Does it seem to dart to one side or the other when you hit a bump? Is this truck new to you or have you had is a while and this problem just started?

Originally posted by desperado:

You stated it's loose, are you meaning that there is play in the steering, turn the wheel and the truck don't turn. Or is it just VERY easy to steer.

Very Easy, there isn't any play. At idle I can the turn the wheel very quickly with my pinky finger.

Also, does that truck have the hydraboost brakes (boost run off the power steering and not vaccum assist).

No, it's Vacuum boost

One thing that can cause what you are talking about, is having the alignment set wrong, specifically 0 degrees toe in and no camber (tilt).

I'm sure it probably needs an alignment.

Does the truck tend to wander from side to side as its' going down the road?

Not too much, I've only driven it a few miles because it freaked me out so bad.

Does it seem to dart to one side or the other when you hit a bump?

Not that I've noticed

Is this truck new to you or have you had is a while and this problem just started?

It's new to me, driven it maybe 5 miles.

Would the alignment make it not want to go back to center after making a turn, or does the steering stabilizer do that? I've had a few Old school Chevy's back in the day and I remember the steering was VERY stiff and you couldn't turn the wheel that easily @ idle, especially with 40" tires!

OK, that tells me tons. I would say that it's alignment is a BIG factor. Also, the pressures with a hydraboost setup are different (higher) than a standard power steering setup, that will have a good bit to do with it as well.

I noticed that you adjusted the loading on the gearbox. That HAS TO be set properly or it WILL eat up the worm gear in short order. I don't remember the specific way to do it, but a small torque wrench is needed if memory serves me.

Best to get a book on it and go from there.

I figure that between the hydraboost power steering pump pressure being higher and the fact that there is an 8 inch lift kit, that probably was never aligned after it was installed, is what is causing what you are feeling. The camber, or the angle of the spindle from the upper ball joint to the lower ball joint is what gives toy road feedback, and causes the steering to have drag. What you are feeling with the drag is the tires not only twisting but the nose of the truck going up and down ever so slightly. You may have noticed that in other vehicles that when sitting still turning the wheel fro lock to lock the nose of the vehicle moves left to right and up and down. If you do the same with your truck, you will notice that ain't happening.

Now with all that said, driving the truck in it's current state, if what I am thinking is truely the case, can be a bit unnerving, and the truck will com out from under you (loose traction in the front) without ANY warning. Getting it to an alignment shop will be safe if you take it easy, and not try to corner the thing like a sports car.

I don't figure that you would anyway but I figure that I would mention it all the same.

Other than that, it sounds like you have a seriously badass truck, at least after you get these few bugs worked out of it.

If you know the guy that you bought it from, get with him and see if he had it aligned to spec on a machine, or if he did it himself. My guess is that he did it himself and put it all to zero. Which isn't bad to start with but things can get a bit trickly while driving if that is the case.