Chrysler.......

badasskylark

Today i finally decided to drive my Chrysler to school, it HAD been running awsome. The trek to school went well but on the way home on 670 my oil pressure light came on luckily i was right a grandview ave my exit i got off the ramp could hear the car knocking so i shut it off in a parking lot. It would turn over afterwards but not start. I had it towed and just tried to start it, it started but knocks so i immeditley shut it off, the oil light was on. Of course there is plenty of oil in it so im guessing oil pump at the least, at the most pulling the engien and getting it rebuilt(god i hope not, but it would be a chance to put a better cam in it). So the question is what does this sound like? If i have to yank the engine and take it someplace to be rebuilt, lets just say to stock specs what ballpark are we talking$$$$?

Thanks for any help, as this has been the day from hell and not just because of the car graemlins/doh.gif

What Motor????

SB Mopars had a habit of twisting off the shaft between the distributor and the pump.

I also had a 2.2 that the sending unit let go in. It went 5 miles without oil, Knocked like a bitch. I put a crank kit in it and ran it another 40000 miles before selling it, in good running condition. So it might not be as bad as you think.

yeah it does. The stock steel on pump shaft in the small blocks was not real good. I assume that the big blocks were similar. What sort of oil pressure was the motor carrying?

Reason I ask is that mine was REALLY stressed the night it failed. I was running 20W50, pressures were 90 PSI plus. Higher pressures are a bigger strain on the drive rod.

[ 15. November 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: desperado ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest racerh373
Originally posted by Gas, Grass, or Ass:

I'm betting on spun main or rod bearings.

I would talk to craig or kevin marshall at eastland recovery and find out who they are using for engine work on their race car

or you might talk to bgbdbn on here he's got a big block mopar thats all built up too.

i would ask them to but u might pay a pretty penny. but i dont think the guy that builds there motors is even in ohio.