need mustang help/advice

Rustlestiltskin

bought and installed a bbk offroad"no cats" xpipe w/ mil elims. on my 2001 mustang cobra.. ever since putting in on it's been backfiring frequently at fast shifting and such and also it drones real bad like somethin is loose but it's not around 2800-2200 rpm.. like rattling.. now recently its been smokin alot like its burning oil. what should i do or what is the problem..im thinkin bbk xpipes are junk but maybe not..i have a flowmaster catback on it as well to finish up the exhuast. so any help or feedback as to why all this is happening is appreciated.. thanks

Dont understand why it backfires or smokes but BBK O/R x pipe plus Flows = Rattling. Just get used to it.Oh wait when it gets cold it sounds like rocks in a coffee cup. If i could do it over again i would go with a different pipe. Ive heard good things about Dr Gas X pipes.

NOthing is loose or broken. An x-pipe + flows makes a HORRIBLE drone. So much so that it gave me headaches on long drives. My LT-o/r h-flowmaster combo is quieter, has significantly less drone and sounds meaner. The "rattling" never bothered me, mostly because it didn't sound like a rattle out of the car. smile.gif

Originally posted by 1lethalsvt:

bought and installed a bbk offroad"no cats" xpipe w/ mil elims. on my 2001 mustang cobra.. ever since putting in on it's been backfiring frequently at fast shifting and such and also it drones real bad like somethin is loose but it's not around 2800-2200 rpm.. like rattling.. now recently its been smokin alot like its burning oil. what should i do or what is the problem..im thinkin bbk xpipes are junk but maybe not..i have a flowmaster catback on it as well to finish up the exhuast. so any help or feedback as to why all this is happening is appreciated.. thanks

Most of the time consistent backfiring when quick shifting is due to a leaky exhaust sucking in oxygen when the pressure is relieved and that oxygen, when combined with any left over fuel in the exhaust and the heat of the pipes can ignite it which is the backfire you hear. Some have also said it's just something that happens with offroad exhaust because you're not getting rid of all that crap with the cats because they're not there anymore, but mine does it occasionally and the majority of my exhaust system is welded, so maybe that's it.

Also X-Pipes are more raspy than H-Pipes, and a an X-Pipe with a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster usually will produce the sound you describe. Girlfriend has a BBK offroad h on her 98 Cobra with flowmasters and it sounds awesome. Maybe you should swap over to an H. I have BBK LTs on mine as well, and feel like BBK does make a quality product, so I would definitely recommend their h-pipe to you.

Good luck.

thanks guys for all the advise.. yea i've been hearin alot about how h-pipe would be best for my car and also sound better so i think imma take it off soon and get an hpipe.. and for the backfiring i think ur right about leaky exhuast b/c i think one of the flanges isn't completely tight but i could be wrong.. im goin to go over all of it today to check

• 2 weeks later...

leave the x pipe on they make more power than an h-pipe. if you do anything try a different muffler like an ultraflow or a bullet. you can also elimenate drone by pulling up the carpet and adding a layer of dynomat between the existing insulation and the carpet.

hth

I have the exact same setup on my Mach and I like it. It has its own unique sound. You said that one of the flanges isn't tight, if its the drivers side you have to remove the factory studs and run bolts. I fought a leak for 4 months before I finally swapped them yesterday and now it sounds great.

The factory exhaust studs have big "shoulders" on them, preventing the drivers side from sealing tight enough in a lot of cases. You can replace the studs with different ones (Napa sells them), pull your stock studs off and cut/grind the shoulders down (what I did), or enlarge the holes on your x-pipe flange and use washers.

BTW. I'm running a Dr. Gas X with Ultra Flo's.

Originally posted by Razorback:

Yep. The only MAC product I'd recommend (have one on my car).

yes, i agree, i have a mac H and as soon I have the money i'll be buying a prochamber, sandblasting the mac coating, and repainting it with VHT 1600* paint. for a long lasting midpipe.

Originally posted by The DropTop:

Pfffft. LT's+shorty H > prochamber. do that smile.gif

I have BBK LT's to a modified Pro-Chamber. Only route I'd recommend. Fuck those shorty h's. smile.gif Pro-Chamber all the way -- more torque!!

If anyone needs a referral to the shop that did such a nice job on mine (the collector connection to the midpipe looks factory), shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to refer you.

Joel: Very good idea. My Pro-Chamber is a bit on the rusty side (been on the car for about 4 years now).

-Razor